6.5 in a jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 6.5 in a jeep

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Jeepoffroad89
1995 YJ Wrangler 

6.5 in a jeep

i know the 6.5 turbo diesel is not known for being a power house by any means, BUT i was wondering if anyone has tried, thought about trying, or succeeded in puttin a 6.5 in a yj. im looking at doing a off the wall swap and thought this may be cool. i would think a 6.5 weighs just a hair more than a 350 small block, and ppl do that swap all the time. so i figure a little frame beefin, this would be fairly straight forward. any insight?

Unread 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The 6.5 is a boat anchor. It was crap when it left the factory and will be crap when its in a YJ. The 4BT would be a better option if you want go with a diesel and hasn't been done enough to be considered "common". But if you have money to burn, and just want to do an engine swap go for it. Just don't consider it an "upgrade". I work in a fleet shop, and have quite a few of the 6.5's still in service. And after a few years dealing with them, I'd rather have a 2.5L in a YJ.

Its your money, do what you want.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Jeepoffroad89
1995 YJ Wrangler 

even in something light like a jeep? i thought it may be a little more respectable in a lighter vehicle, ive never worked on them tho or been around them enough to know how good or bad they are
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You would definately feel the difference in power, but with all the other better options out there, I don't know why you would want to use the 6.5. If it was a good motor, a lot more people would be swapping them, and there would be a big aftermarket for them. The 6.5 is anemic at best. Its reliabilty leaves a lot to be desired.

Not sure what motor you have right now, but I wouldn't expect the 6.5 to be much, if any better than a 4.0.
Budget Welding Cart

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Jeepcreep91
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I were you, I would go chevy gen III 5.3 or 6.0, or the 4bt route. The 5.3's are a dime a dozen now, and put out some damn good numbers which is why I'll be swapping one in during the summer
Jeepcreep91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Jeepoffroad89
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i thought it would be the cheapest diesel swap i could do is why i was thinking it. i figured they would be pretty plentiful since the military used the na version of them along with the 6.2 but i could be mistaken
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The 6.5 is a piece! I wouldnt use it to power any rig to the crusher, let alone something I would drive every day. I bet with the extra weight that it will add to your rig, the slight (and I mean VERY SLIGHT) power increase will be offset, leaving you with a rig that is just as slow, but even more noisy than when you started.
Go Mopar if you wanna swap! Why? Thats who made the entire rig. If you love it, think about it, its a MOPAR, Keep it a MOPAR!
Can you tell I hate that stupid gay blue bow tie?
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

After working in too many shops on too many pieces of crap, my brand loyalty is nil. Just take the best items from each manufacturer and put it together in what ever body/frame you want. They all made junk at one point. The 6.5 is one GMs dull moments. The LSx motors, are one of the best things they ever made, though. Take the best from each, and you will have a reliable, powerful jeep. Even if some parts have the blue oval or the bowtie. 10 years ago, there was no way you could ever convince me to put a ford anything into anything I owned. Not anymore, now I have a different view. If it works well, I could care less what name is on it. The ford 8.8 is easily one of the best things to put into a jeep short of going to 1 tons.
Budget Welding Cart

Quote:
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
tugars
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've replaced 3 heads, oil pump, vacuum pump, waste gate solenoid, resleeved the block, and new pistons in my 6.5. I didn't replace the crankshaft after it broke. Now I'm in the process of putting a 383 in my truck where the 6.5 used to be. My YJ is getting a 4.3. If you install a 6.5, hopefully you'll have better luck than me.
tugars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.