5th gear while towing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5th gear while towing?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-30-2002, 05:53 AM   #1
white sox bill

5th gear while towing?

Will be towing an aprox. 1000lbs trailer soon and was wondering what evreyone's POV on when, if ever, to shift into fifth gear. Do I look at RPM's or MPH? Is it easier on motor to have higher rpm's or lower? Any other opinoins appreciated and Thanks

Unread 07-30-2002, 06:11 AM   #2
RICK'S92TJ

I went to Silver Lake, this past June, and pulled a trailer. It wasn't 1000 lbs, maybe 800 lbs. I hardley used fifth gear, except on the flat streches of highway. I kept my speed to around 60 MPH. I took my time and didn't push my 4 banger and every thing was ok.
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:45 AM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Watch your RPM's of course for the shifting, the the speedo for the cop's sake.

As long as you can keep your engine in the power zone (2000rpm to 2500rpm) or above, you shouldn't have any problems using 5th.

If your RPM's drop below 1900, I would consider using 4th. With a thousand pounds behind you, I would just take it easy, enjoy the ride .. do 55 the whole way
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i totally agree with naekid, i pull my homebuilt jeep trailer (take a gander flt fenders and yj wheels) with my 4 popper -- i went to silver lake with it, i pulled about 65 -70, the trailer originally weighed when i built it 450 lbs, before the sides,deck and ramps on the back, but then i switched axles which dropped the weight to still around 450 even with the sides and stuff on this time though, with my quad and gear in the back i figure it was around 1000 lbs, but as naekid said as long as you keep the rpms above 2000 you should be ok in 5th, any less drop her down, you will know when your pulling it when you need to do what, anyway enjoy the trip

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:05 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey JeepFreak,

Love the look of that trailer .. love them rims! Wanna make me one?

Actually, I have been thinking about getting the Rubicon trailer .. it looks way too cool .. what do you think it would look like with matching 38" tires on it? They do say that they will put any tire and rim to match my Jeep on it for no extra cost

Unread 07-31-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that rubicon trailer is AWESOME, i want one now.... but the stress on that hitch in the one pic... unless its a special hitch wow... origianally had matching 30's on mine... but took them off -- i had them on different rims with hubcaps but the center of the rim stayed bolted to the hub and the wheel broke off going down the road.. so i re did the suspension and bought an axle specifically for those wheels, the rear ramp(s) folds up seems to work well, the frame was snagged from an 30's horse trailer and heavily modified, there was no suspension for one originally axle welded to the frame... i essentially rebuilt the trailer from that rebuild with the jeep theme and lots of cutting and welding, its BARELY the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, half the gate is removable with quickpins so you can chain the gate flat and hold longer items, id build one for you lol if i had another frame to start, it was expensive enough doing what i did! that and it would give an excuse for a trip out to that side of canada, i have a friend on vancouver island lol... but i dont know how my g/f would like me seeing her!
Unread 07-31-2002, 06:53 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is some great wheelin' on Vancouver Island .. my brother used to be a Forestry Engineer based on the island .. and my sister still lives there (she is manager of one of the largest auto-part stores in Victoria).

I have a boat trailer that I am trying to sell so that I can build up a new trailer for wheelin', but I am not having any luck so far. I would have figured a boat trailer for a 16' motorboat would sell instantly .. and all I was asking was $800 .. new this thing is worth around the $1200 mark .. so the trailer continues to sit and await someone wanting it more than me ..

Unread 07-31-2002, 09:04 PM   #8
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

modigy that shorten the tongue, add some cross braces, maybe shorten the frame, put on the deck and big tires your set i made it sound easy didnt i???
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:46 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Believe it or not, that is basically what I was thinkin' .. but then I figured I needed a Chevy 6bolt axle to match mine, and cross braces need to be either welded or bolted in (its a fully galvanized trailer) .. my chop saw would be needed to turn the tilt-trailer into a non-tilt version .. and .. someone could really use a proper boat trailer, and I could use a proper "utility" trailer .. maybe trade it for a tent trailer .. hmm ...

Unread 08-01-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha whats funny is i have a chevy 6 bolt sitting out back... its the one i took off, i didnt need anything that heavy right now anyway... 58 chevy 6 bolt i also didnt have a spare and the trailer is kinda small to mount one so i made the trailer so i can use my jeeps spare, which in your case is that 6 bolt... lol that 6 bolt had very old bearings in it, they are $150 PER SIDE, so i swapped the axle for 80 bux, even though they wernt bad, i figure when i can afford to replace those bearings i will use that axle on another trailer. I can see where your coming from with the boat trailer, i just hope you can get what is worth... i know there isnt much of a market here in michigan for just boat trailers, and this is the great lake state-- most companies throw in the trailer anymore around here

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.