5 speed transmission fluid question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 speed transmission fluid question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

does gear oil/fluid go bad?

02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02grandy View Post
does gear oil/fluid go bad?
Huh? Like being used or just sitting out? It doesn't go stale like bread but the longer it is introduced to an environment, the more of a chance it has to collect contaminants. Just make sure you check the fluid for water or any other floating or sinking debris before adding to your jeep.
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

the fluid i used is Castrol Hypoy C gear oil SAE 80w/90 and says limited slip performance its from the early 2000's
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

To my knowledge limited slip additives are dangerous to transmissions. They also contain detergents which cause wear. Take that stuff and throw it in your diffs. Buy something else for the tranny. I would suggest 10w30 but if its gotta be gear oil, refer to your owners manual.
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
Buckshooter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gear Oil

I bought a 94 Wrangler from a friend last May. I had it a few weeks and the shifting strted getting difficult. Have to double clutch at times when down shifting. Shifting up is no problem. I finally crawled under the YJ on Sunday and replaced the gear oil. What drained out was dark and it smelled. I replaced it with regular gear oil 80/90. It still shifts fine going up, but coming back down requires a double clutch unless I can synchronize the rpms and pull it down without it grinding.
Buckshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

I was trying to change my pluid this past weekend, but I just could not figure out how to fill it.
My manual shows a drawing of the trans so lacking in detail that you can not tell which side you are looking at.
But the drawing shows 2 bolts, the upper of the two being for filling. I can't see the two bolts anywhere.
So, is the filler on the Drivers side or the passenger side? Anyone got a photo?

I know I am a wimp, but doing anything to the trans sort of scares me.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

MeanMax has a writeup that's stickied in the FAQ. It helped me out.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

so is that fluid i added bad for the ax5 trans?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.