5 speed to Automatic - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 speed to Automatic

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
-This is "Dre40"'s daughter-

Thanks for all your guys help I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the YJ. It's an excellent deal, and the clutch is super easy to do, I'll just have to get to know the whole shifting part. As much as I'll miss my much loved Cherokee, I'm excited to try out, and hopefully enjoy a Wrangler :]
Driving standard isn't as hard as people make it out to be. You'll get used to the shift pattern after the first couple times you take it out.

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x3 with the 4 low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
-This is "Dre40"'s daughter-

Thanks for all your guys help I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the YJ. It's an excellent deal, and the clutch is super easy to do, I'll just have to get to know the whole shifting part. As much as I'll miss my much loved Cherokee, I'm excited to try out, and hopefully enjoy a Wrangler :]
Getting into gear is just about the hardest part. From there is all about knowing when to come off the gas and push the clutch in, then moving the shifter to the right gear. All I can really say is don't move the shifter until the clutch is all the way in. When you get good, you can start to syncro the gears, or basically shifting without the clutch.

1st and 2nd need to be found by pushing it to the left, and pushing forward for 1st, or pulling back for 2nd. 3rd and 4th gear basically find themselves, just push it or pull it and it generally finds itself. 5th gear you really won't use unless you're cruising on the freeway, and I really only use it on long flat sections or downhill bits.

Don't be afraid to take that engine to 3500rpms either before you shift, they're made to run at that RPM range all day long.

Other than that, definitely learn on a big dirt lot in 4 low- it's gotta be in dirt because of the way the 4WD system works, so the front tires can slip slightly. Try it on concrete and turn hard- you'll see what I mean

The Jeep will only top out around 35mph in 4 low and 5th gear wide open, so you can take things slow enough to learn how the gears work. That's what I did when I first learned. When I moved to the road and into 2 high, everything just came naturally.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
smizar
2008 JK Wrangler 

And remember, it won't drive like your Cherokee, this was what happened to my daughter when she wasn't careful with one if mine

image-918183330.png
smizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Added plus to having a manual shift is that none of your friends can borrow it.

In my case, my wife....
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Added plus to having a manual shift is that none of your friends can borrow it.

In my case, my wife....
x2

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #21
95laredokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tell her a 19 year old guy on your forum learned from his girlfriend in highschool and its easy to learn and she will love it and won't ever wanna go back.....well atleast I don't
95laredokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
carln1210
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Dre40's daughter~~

Thanks for you help guys. This is actually his daughter, thought it'd be fun to make an account. I appreciate all your guys help like I said earlier. I'm excited to get it, and Ill keep ya posted if/when I do! I think it'll be a great skill to have [driving manual], and you're correct, none of my friends will be able to borrow it, for sure.
carln1210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.