5 speed to Automatic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 speed to Automatic

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

5 speed to Automatic

OK I found a very clean 93 Yj 2.5 5 speed. Now my daughter really wants a wrangler but she isn't very keen on driving stick she has a Cherokee now. did they make a automatic behind a 2.5 would it be a big deal to swap a auto for a Stick? What would the cons be? I can get the YJ for 2 grand with a hard top. there's no rust on the body.

resize.jpg  
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

they do make a YJ 2.5L with an automatic. both of our jeeps are auto's and when i bought them, that's what i specifically looked for. we're not extreme off-road'rs so it makes it a lot easier to really enjoy the trails. wheeled for a couple of decades now and its just easier.

nice looking jeep for 2k though and i personally found standard wranglers to be a very easy to drive.

Don
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking and no one is very good with a stick shift when they start out but it doesn't take long especially for a kid they learn very fast.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

see my old thread..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-swap-1198929/
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Dlambright
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will be much happier with the stick. The 2.5 doesnt put out much power. The 5 speed will help, and the axle ratios should be 4.10. Besides a stick is just more fun! Teach her to drive a stick and she will love it
Dlambright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I definitely wouldn't suggest the auto 4cyl. I have one and while it hasn't been offroad or anything yet, its a complete slug on the road. I can get to 70mph on the freeway, but that's really pushing it hard. It will drop to 60 when I have to go up any sort of small incline...like an overpass.

I guess it would be ideal for a teenager now that I think about it
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Ziptied
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an auto in my '91 wit a 4.0L. It's what I wanted. I can just cruise around with out having to mess with shifting. I avent gone off road with it yet though.
Ziptied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to a vacant dirt lot with her, hop out, hand her the keys, and get to teaching. Nobody is fond of manuals at first. The dreaded stall is the biggest thing, but once she figures out how it all works, then things start to go smoothly.

My dad explained to me how the entire clutch system works, and that's how I began to understand how the whole thing works. Dunno if she's the same way as me, but it's worth a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
I definitely wouldn't suggest the auto 4cyl. I have one and while it hasn't been offroad or anything yet, its a complete slug on the road. I can get to 70mph on the freeway, but that's really pushing it hard. It will drop to 60 when I have to go up any sort of small incline...like an overpass.

I guess it would be ideal for a teenager now that I think about it
Hate to break the news to you, but even the manual hates hills, although it seems to do 65 up any sort of incline relatively easy... 80 is the top speed I've found...
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
smizar
2008 JK Wrangler 

Both my daughters learned with a manual trans and they took to it very easy, now it second nature, just take her out, be very patient and she will pick it up quick...
smizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

that's what i'm trying to tell her. so any words of encouragement will help..
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, maybe try:

Everybody stalls or has stalled a manual transmission, so don't frett over stalling. It's all part of the learning process.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Trombly
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Let her learn a skill instead of pushing it away.
Trombly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
smizar
2008 JK Wrangler 

One trick is to put it in low range so she can get the feel of coming off the clutch with out having to give it throttle
smizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

-This is "Dre40"'s daughter-

Thanks for all your guys help I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the YJ. It's an excellent deal, and the clutch is super easy to do, I'll just have to get to know the whole shifting part. As much as I'll miss my much loved Cherokee, I'm excited to try out, and hopefully enjoy a Wrangler :]
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Go to a vacant dirt lot with her, hop out, hand her the keys, and get to teaching. Nobody is fond of manuals at first. The dreaded stall is the biggest thing, but once she figures out how it all works, then things start to go smoothly.

My dad explained to me how the entire clutch system works, and that's how I began to understand how the whole thing works. Dunno if she's the same way as me, but it's worth a shot
Put it into 4 low as well.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.