5 mpg & black smoke from 4 cyl - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 mpg & black smoke from 4 cyl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87milton View Post
will do, also what is the exact name of the temperature sensor? is it called the coolant temprature sensor?
I believe so. On my 91, there's 2 of them - one in the thermostat housing, one in the way backside of the head, on the drivers side. Forgot which one does the computer and which one does the gauge tho

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #17
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The one on thermostat housing is the computer. The one driverside rear is for the gauge.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah on mine i know the one on the head is the sending unit for the temp gauge. and i belive i found my coolant temp. sensor on the intake manifold? my jeep is an 87 2.5 TBI
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Lee_N
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A few thoughts - 1) Gutted cat has lowered the back pressure, thus the O2 sensor may not be reading correctly. 2) Check the fuel pressure to see if the regulator is working right. Who "rebuilt" the throttle body? I would assume if it was rebuilt, they would have replaced the TPS, the pressure regulator, and the injector. Along this same thought, check the TPS to make sure it's reading right. Should read between 4.6-4.7V. 3) Check the Wide Open Throttle switch. This richens the mixture at WOT. 4) Check the MAT. 5) Make sure the injector isn't leaking. I would assume this also would lead to flooding when starting, so probably not a problem.

You can also search google for Jeep Wrangler D1 diagnostic to find some info from the FSM. Look for a URL that ends in .fr. Should be the first hit.
Lee_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this sketchy mechanic my moms boyfriend knows but i think all he did was replace the seals in it. i know a gutted cat dont help anything but i also just found 2 exhausts leaks. first there are two small holes on the manifold right where the o2 sensor is just on the other side of the pipe. i think this might just be it. the second one is where the pipe joins to the cat converter. i hear muffler putty calling my name haha
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #21
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this sketchy mechanic my moms boyfriend knows but i think all he did was replace the seals in it. i know a gutted cat dont help anything but i also just found 2 exhausts leaks. first there are two small holes on the manifold right where the o2 sensor is just on the other side of the pipe. i think this might just be it. the second one is where the pipe joins to the cat converter. i hear muffler putty calling my name haha
Bingo, you found it. If possible, I would get it welded up for a permanent fix. Never had much luck with muffler mud, myself - it always falls off after a bit.
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah thats what i want to do. i got a welder and tried it myself and failed haha. mostly because i didnt take anything apart or clean the metal haha. after christmas i think ill get someone who knows what there doing to give it a go. also i was supposed to have run out of gas like 10 miles ago so hopefully this putty stuff is working =]
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah thats what i want to do. i got a welder and tried it myself and failed haha. mostly because i didnt take anything apart or clean the metal haha. after christmas i think ill get someone who knows what there doing to give it a go. also i was supposed to have run out of gas like 10 miles ago so hopefully this putty stuff is working =]
Or ya could just get a whole new down-pipe and cat, that way its a bolt-in job. Any more black smoke yet?
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #24
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your exhaust manifold is likely broken, most of them are - if it's LOUD under the hood, that will be part of the problem, too.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

still black smoke and still bad mileage and its not really too loud under the hood, the putty has held up but no improvment in anything
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Black smoke tends to indicate running rich... Check to make sure your injector isn't leaking?

What other sensors have you replaced? Are you sure it has the correct computer?
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

changed 02 sensor map sensor and egr valve. the fuel injector is less the 6 months old and as far as i know the computer wasnt touched. i changed the ignition coil and now i get 8 mpg haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.