5 mpg & black smoke from 4 cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 mpg & black smoke from 4 cyl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

5 mpg & black smoke from 4 cyl

i got an 87 2.5L 5 speed. the motor is rebuilt with about 3k on it and new gas tank fuel pump filter and injector. it also has new EGR valve MAP sensor and oxygen sensor. the throttle body was also rebuilt. new plugs wire cap rotor ignition coil and air filter. the cat has been gutted. im running 32X11.50s with stock gears with about 40 psi in the tires. i heard the fuel pressure regulator but wouldnt that be included in a throttle body rebuild? any suggestions on what could be causing this bad mileage? this is my daily driver and im living pay check to pay check just feeding it

Unread 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanks in advance guys
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A heavy right foot or a leaky fuel line.

But really that's hard to diagnose over the internet. It could be any number of things.

How long have you had the jeep?
Is this the first time you got 5 mpg?
What was your average before?
Did the spedo gear get changed?(could cause mpg calculations to be off)
City or hwy driving?

I'm not sure what could be causing the black smoke but start with basics, see if anything is leaking, do a compression test, or take it to a mechanic. We need to know more.
88Jeff94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pressure regulator OR a piched off return line. Either way you should test and see because its obviously *way* too rich. I didn't know the 4-banger could get that bad of a MPG.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

On a side note, 40psi in the tires is WAY too high. You should probably be at 30psi or below. With 40psi you're probably gonna need new tires way too soon.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no the spedo is the same, i have had the jeep for about a year and it was in the shop for about 5 months lol its mostly city but i take the high way to work 15 min away this is constant since i got it rebuilt i never bothered to check before i got it rebuilt and i usually shift at 3k unless im on the highway or i gotta poop lol but do people usually replace the fuel pressure regulator when they rebuild a throttle body? also are there any other sensors that could be telling the computer to dump more fuel? i replaced the thermostat it had in it while the motor was braking in it was a 180 so it was running rich and flooding while it was breaking in if that has anything to do with it
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87milton View Post
no the spedo is the same, i have had the jeep for about a year and it was in the shop for about 5 months lol its mostly city but i take the high way to work 15 min away this is constant since i got it rebuilt i never bothered to check before i got it rebuilt and i usually shift at 3k unless im on the highway or i gotta poop lol but do people usually replace the fuel pressure regulator when they rebuild a throttle body? also are there any other sensors that could be telling the computer to dump more fuel? i replaced the thermostat it had in it while the motor was braking in it was a 180 so it was running rich and flooding while it was breaking in if that has anything to do with it
Yeah the O2 sensor would do it too, but that much? Wow.
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

3000k is low, the engine is just beginning to make its power around there. It will cruise at 3500rpm all day long without a hitch (when it's tuned up).

My suggestion is to go through all of the sensors and DOUBLE check to make sure everything is working properly before you begin messing with fuel pressure regs.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Temp sensor too
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the 02 sensor is new and if the temperature sensor was bad wouldnt that make it run below operating temp? it warms up to right about 210 on the gauge. im about to just go to a mechanic but i would rather do it myself and save $300
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There's more than one temp sensor on these IIRC one of them is for the gauge the other one is for the computer.
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One other thing, an exhaust leak can really throw off the O2 sensor, give it a bum reading. Since the signs are really obvious and you just had the motor done, I would go over it all with a fine-tooth comb and start looking for the small simple things.
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i do have atleast one exhaust leak its a small hole where the cat bolts up to the down pipe could this be it you think?
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87milton View Post
i do have atleast one exhaust leak its a small hole where the cat bolts up to the down pipe could this be it you think?
At least partly anyway. Any leaks upstream from the O2 sensor will for sure do it too. Might want to check all of the exhaust maniold bolts where it goes into the head, they are famous for going loose.
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
87milton
1987 YJ Wrangler 

will do, also what is the exact name of the temperature sensor? is it called the coolant temprature sensor?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.