5.9 Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.9 Swap

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Reply
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Does anybody know any part numbers for radiator hoses if I am retaining my stock 90 radiator for this swap? I know my 258 has the same size hose for the water pump but I can't for the life of me find something long enough.

My search has turned up pictures but no definitive answer.

Currently I have my 258 out, motor mounts cut out, thinned out the engine bay harness. I'm nearing placing the engine and burning in the mounts.

__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen View Post
Does anybody know any part numbers for radiator hoses if I am retaining my stock 90 radiator for this swap? I know my 258 has the same size hose for the water pump but I can't for the life of me find something long enough.

My search has turned up pictures but no definitive answer.

Currently I have my 258 out, motor mounts cut out, thinned out the engine bay harness. I'm nearing placing the engine and burning in the mounts.
When I hooked up my radiator for the first time I just used those universal hoses you can buy at any auto parts store. You only need to use one hose for the upper and two hoses for the lower with a piece of 2 inch copper 6 inches long as a sleeve.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
While I have you Skyj, how is your alternator hooked up?

Mine has this 4 way bolt on thing with wires going to it. Then this bolt/nut with a black boot around it. I think a B+ wire goes to the black boot and that's it but I have a ground wire from the pdc that is labeled alternator and I can't remember where it goes.
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen View Post
While I have you Skyj, how is your alternator hooked up?

Mine has this 4 way bolt on thing with wires going to it. Then this bolt/nut with a black boot around it. I think a B+ wire goes to the black boot and that's it but I have a ground wire from the pdc that is labeled alternator and I can't remember where it goes.
Here is a pic of mine. The ground wire form the pdc goes on the fartherst post closet to the thermostat housing and the B+ from the pdc goes to the big lug on the back closest to the valve cover hope this helps. The greens are the black boot thingies that bolts to the small lugs on the top of the alt.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Here is a pic of mine. The ground wire form the pdc goes on the fartherst post closet to the thermostat housing and the B+ from the pdc goes to the big lug on the back closest to the valve cover hope this helps. The greens are the black boot thingies that bolts to the small lugs on the top of the alt.
I think I got the jist of it, thank you!
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #21
Plato2k5
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 470
Your stock rad will not work.

Get a one wire style alternator.

Here is my mopar la style



Offset the engine 4" to pass side to clear driveshaft up front of the trans pan
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
So to stop hijacking Skyjs thread I'll post here.

I removed the ac from my motor, bought a new no ac belt. When I go to twist the idler pulley near the coil I can't get it to go back into its original position. Is it suppose to be pretty tough to put back?

(From looking at it there is a small hole that a nub on the back of the pulley is suppose to sit in to, do I need to brute force it?
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
My lines from the tank said "hp- fluoroelastomer"

Quick search

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=541

Should I keep it? Doesn't look aged, just dirty.
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Its pretty quiet up in here

I got my 318 dangling in the air about to install my new Novak mounts but I realized they didn't supply the bolts to mount the bracket to the engine. I got 8 small bolts and 4 long bolts that bolt the bracket together.

Can anyone who used the Novak mounts tell me what size bolts are needed?
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen View Post
Its pretty quiet up in here

I got my 318 dangling in the air about to install my new Novak mounts but I realized they didn't supply the bolts to mount the bracket to the engine. I got 8 small bolts and 4 long bolts that bolt the bracket together.

Can anyone who used the Novak mounts tell me what size bolts are needed?
Couldn't help you there bud I made my own. All you need is the rubber mount right? which should be a round rubber with a bolt sticking out to go to your novak mounts. I used the grand Cherokee motor mounts and made my own frame mounts I heard the other style likes to rip out of the rubber from the torque of the motor.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #26
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Couldn't help you there bud I made my own. All you need is the rubber mount right? which should be a round rubber with a bolt sticking out to go to your novak mounts. I used the grand Cherokee motor mounts and made my own frame mounts I heard the other style likes to rip out of the rubber from the torque of the motor.
The novak mounts bolt to the bosses near the front of the engine, driver side should have 4, passenger 3.

I'm giving them a call besides the bolts my passenger side boss is about 3" long making the mount not fit, not even with any combination of spacers.
img_20140314_122651-edit.jpg  
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #27
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen View Post

The novak mounts bolt to the bosses near the front of the engine, driver side should have 4, passenger 3.

I'm giving them a call besides the bolts my passenger side boss is about 3" long making the mount not fit, not even with any combination of spacers.
Oh gotcha! I never even looked at other mounts I'm a cheap skate and made my own. Which is why I'm having fueling issue's haha.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Oh gotcha! I never even looked at other mounts I'm a cheap skate and made my own. Which is why I'm having fueling issue's haha.
I wanted to make my own but figured this would be easier, who'd thunk I'd have problems with them?

Well there is cheap, and frugal. Spending without thinking doesn't make a man rich!
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
JCashen
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 225
Is there anyone online who can help me decide on engine placement? I finally got the engine stabbed onto the tranny, now just have to decide where to put this hog.

Trying to keep stock transmission location. Will be using electric fan, and will do sye later when I get around to regearing my front axle.
__________________
"Drippy"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #30
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCashen View Post
Is there anyone online who can help me decide on engine placement? I finally got the engine stabbed onto the tranny, now just have to decide where to put this hog.

Trying to keep stock transmission location. Will be using electric fan, and will do sye later when I get around to regearing my front axle.
You want the motor as high and as far to the passenger side as you can get it. I know that dont help much, but mine sits about 2" closer to the passenger side and with my hood closed my cold air intake barely has clearance from hitting the hood. Its a tall cold air intake though. I can maybe get better measurements for you tomorrow if you'd like?
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.