5.9 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.9 Swap

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

5.9 Swap

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I just picked up the 5.9 magnum out of a 97 dodge to swap into the heep.

My main question is regarding efi vs carb. A guy I've been talking to swears up and down that a holley 750 would provide more power and effeciency over the stock efi setup.

I'm not to worried about the wiring aspect of the swap but would like some opinions.

Once I get it home and on a stand I'll try uploading pictures of the ol' gal.

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
metalhead
2000 WJ 

There is no way a carb is more efficient than efi. A carb just dumps a metered amount of fuel in depending on jet size. Efi uses several sensors and such for the injectors to spray the proper amount of fuel in. Plus when offroading you don't have to worry about off camber situations and starving the engine for fuel. With efi you will always have the proper amount of fuel. People think fuel injection is so complicated. It really is not. Carbs to me can be so hard to get to run right. With efi the computer does the tuning.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know there are guys on both side of the fence, and I don't want to start a flame war either.

My grandpa is old school with the 750 double pumpers he had on his z28. He also thinks we should go carb since then we could later put a cam in and just reject instead of messing with the computer. Also in the time saved not doing the wiring and possible down time if I wire it incorrectly.

This is currently my DD but won't be once I go to boot camp.

Unread 02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hows that carb on the 4.2l. fun? fuel efficient? Rebuilding it every few years? The efi will pay for itself and be 1,000,000x less hassel.
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
hows that carb on the 4.2l. fun? fuel efficient? Rebuilding it every few years? The efi will pay for itself and be 1,000,000x less hassel.
I agree that's why I went with this instead of a carved 350. I still plan to go efi, just wanted to see some opinions.

I wasn't able to get it unloaded tonight. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate us running the forklift at 9pm

Will post pictures tomorrow, and bust into the engine to see what I got. Supposedly it was rebuilt 6k ago.

I still have to get motor mounts, fuel pump, harness, computer, bell housing, input bearing retainer for the slave swap, and any misc stuff required.

Unread 02-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the crappy pic.

The engine is suppose to be good. I can hear the compression when I turn the crank by hand.

Is it worth the cost in gaskets to make sure?
img_20140205_175225-copy.jpg  

Unread 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did it come from a salvage yard or private sale. If its a salvage yard then just stick it in since it will have a warranty anyway.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice on a Motor I just installed a 5.2 from a grand cherokee with unkown miles and unknown condition, so I did a cylinder leak down test (best way to confirm its good) on it and the worst cylinder only had 15% leak which is really good so I slapped it in. Sure I've had a few wiring snaffoo's with my swap and a few sensor headaches but it still beats the piss out of that stuipid carb setup I had on the ol 4.2. Besides all of the wiring really isn't all that bad sure it takes a little bit of knwledge of reading schematics and what not but anybody can do it if they set their mind to it. I went into my swap with no understanding of the wiring, but with great help and encouragment from this forum I have been able to figure out everyone of my problems and now I got a fuel injected jeep that runs like a raped ape!
Dont listen to the naysayers stick with the MPI and you will be happy with the increased fuel mileage and performance it brings ya I will gladly help you with any of the wiring issues you might run into, now with that said your system is OBDII and I am OBD1. Which wiring wise I dont think is all that different other that you have one extra O2 sensor than I do. wiring into my jeep was simple once i undertood how it all worked. It really only needed like five wires to run. then it was a matter of hooking up gauges as long as you label everything when you remove the old motor it will be simple. I do recomend getting a good service manual for the vehicle your motor came out of and start studying those schematics. Good luck brotha!! and welcome to the club

my 5.2 swap starts here on post #309
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...6/index21.html
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
did it come from a salvage yard or private sale. If its a salvage yard then just stick it in since it will have a warranty anyway.
Private sell from craigslist. My grandpa and I talked to him for awhile before purchasing it and he seemed like a good guy not to say there aren't smooth talkers out there.

It'll be a few months before I have everything to start the swap but the guy said if I drive it up to where he works (which is where we picked it up from) he will do 90 days from that point.

Unread 02-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice motor, I've got the same one in my rig. Mine's a 96 that was originally OBDII, but I converted it to OBDI with just a few parts swapped out. Good luck with your swap, it'll all be worth it in the end!

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel injection has so many advantages over carbureted that you'd be an imbecile to go back to a carb on a FI engine. Your 'guy' may be old school, but that particular engine is not. I'm not 100% familiar with the ignition systems on that engine, but I'd imagine swapping to a carb means replacing the dizzy and a few other components just to get it to work right. Stay with the times, don't go back to the stone (carb) age

Stick with it. OBDII is a bit more complicated, but only because there is more to it. Time is all it will take, and a little trial and error. In the end, you will have a more reliable engine setup.

FI is a dynamic system. It is always changing A/F mixtures so that the engine runs at an optimal efficiency range, regardless of altitude, air temperature, incline, etc. All of which can bring a carb setup to its knees.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Jcashen my stuipid account wont let me open or read any pm's from you nor can I send them. Glad you got it running bud!!
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #13
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Magnum club!

And much like Xpress said, just stick with FI. These are Magnum engines, not the old LA 318 and 360 engines. It wouldn't make much sense to reverse engineer a fuel injected engine back to its older brethren that Chrysler has since moved on from.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the wiring and electronics headache for a week at most while doing the swap, than deal with a lifetime of dickin' around with a carburetor every few days.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Skyj - maybe I'm not cool enough?

On a side note I'm very excited I got it started. Wiring wasn't even that bad. 2 days to strip what I didn't need then 2 days of messing with it to get it started.

I just want to go out there and listen to it run!

I have to go to a monthly function to run the IST with the rest of the pool on Saturday then I'll be going to my uncles to borrow his cherry picker.

I still have little things to do over the week but I'm hoping I can get it done.

Unread 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Efi or you will hate life when you go offroad. Holley truck avengers are good, but everyone I run with who has them still have issues running rich and sputtering.

Look up megasquirt Efi. Standalone ecu you link your laptop up to and you can change your fuel and afr maps. Plus a ton more.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.