5.9 magnum v8 swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.9 magnum v8 swap?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
NW4wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

5.9 magnum v8 swap?

So the 4.0 in the yj has well over 400k miles on it now and im starting to see that it wont last much longer its been a great engine but now its time for something new. Ive been interested in doing a 5.9 magnum swap either from a zj or a dodge and am woundering if you guys could find me some info on the subject. I would like to keep it a 5speed. if you guys could help that would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again guys. oh and i wouldn't mind seeing some videos if you have any links not to much on youtube.

NW4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sure we will do all the searching for you. Just click here.
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check out NOVAK JEEP CONVERSIONS. All they specialize is in jeeps and their website has a lot of free information and how to do it.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at my build thread.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4wheeler View Post
So the 4.0 in the yj has well over 400k miles on it now and im starting to see that it wont last much longer its been a great engine but now its time for something new. Ive been interested in doing a 5.9 magnum swap either from a zj or a dodge and am woundering if you guys could find me some info on the subject. I would like to keep it a 5speed. if you guys could help that would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again guys. oh and i wouldn't mind seeing some videos if you have any links not to much on youtube.
Search is your best friend. You won't learn much anything if you don't do the research yourself.
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are several threads covering this swap that many of us have done.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bmgadg's thread and Moparfreak's thread are two of the most helpful information buckets about this particular swap. The 5.2L and the 5.9L are pretty similar swaps, so those are the two best to follow. Mine's a humogumbo mess, but I can find you any part or part number that you need if you need it... cause I did document those.

Good luck in your research

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
NW4wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I bought my 5.9 today $400 for the motor with 148k wireing harnes computer and all bolt on acc like ac alternator ext. So ho much of the wireing harness is actually used? How did you guys go about spliceing into the 5.9 harness? I'm still trying to find a dodge dakota bell housing seems the are kinda rare. And since I'm using a 93 ax15 that has a vss don't I have to get a computer from a dakota mt v8 but that had the nv3500 I don't know what computer to use.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Jones-Maryland
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you are only looking for a V8 dakota bellhousing the V6 magnum w/AX15 bellhousing is the same, this might help you at the junk yard. I know I have one. I was colleting for this swap but have since changed direction.
Jones-Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
NW4wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

didn't the v8 dakota come with an nv3500 instead of the ax15? Thought the 4 and v6 was ax15. Or is the nv3500 bell housing the same as the ax15.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.