$5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > $5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #91
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you do know safety standards have evolved over the years, right? i think the lack of a roll bar would be more problematic in many of those cj's, eh?
Yes sir I do, but they do have a roll bar.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #92
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's 10" from the floor to the top of the clutch pedal. It's also 10" from the hinge to the right of the clutch pedal. (Yes I measured it) so how does it take longer to move your foot 10" to the left than 10" up to press a clutch? Seems like people are *****ing because they don't like the foot peg more than safety. Show some good evidence or STFU.

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #93
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cye View Post
It's 10" from the floor to the top of the clutch pedal. It's also 10" from the hinge to the right of the clutch pedal. (Yes I measured it) so how does it take longer to move your foot 10" to the left than 10" up to press a clutch? Seems like people are *****ing because they don't like the foot peg more than safety. Show some good evidence or STFU.

There's a little thing called THE BODY OF THE JEEP between the foot peg and the clutch which is not between the floorpan and the clutch. How's that for STFU!?!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #94
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cye View Post

I've been showing very good evidence. How about you not speak on the subject?
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #95
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No there is not. Mine are angled up and back. When your foot is on the peg your heel is on the door frame. Simply slide foot over and like magic it's on the clutch.

ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #96
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This thread has turned into ***** sorry OP. Thanks for the idea.
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #97
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is too funny! My opinion is that it is just as safe as driving with my knee or checking my phone while going down the road, or watching the yoga pants instead of the road, or waving at the jeep that is going by. If anyone says they have never done anything unsafe while driving, I will call you a LIAR to your face! I just recently saw death because a semi did not want to come to a complete stop, nothing I could do about it, no where to go. I doesnt matter, you can be as safe as you want and it doesnt mean anything. S**T HAPPENS I also have been riding motorcycles for 22years. Im 34 now. I have had many bikes with highway bars and have hung my feet off the pegs for miles. Not in traffic or even really in town. But when you are cruising it is way more comfortable. I have never had an incident or felt unsafe, but then again, like others have said, Im not a moron. I plan on taking my stock Harley pegs and putting them on my JEEP when its done. Its all a matter of opinion. One person may think it is too dangerouse to jump off a cliff but another person may think its safe and fun. Just for the record, check with your local authorities if its legal, every state is different.

You can argue with my opinion all day but im prolly not going to change my mind and Im not expecting to change anyone elses. Just wanted to give my opinion.

BTW OP Great job on the idea and the post, keep them coming.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #98
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
FYI:

True, brake pedal will still work. Stopping distance on the other hand "will for sure" be greatly affected.
Eh. Initially you get compression braking from the engine (since you've presumably removed your foot from the throttle to press the brake). Once the engine is at or below idle speeds it would try to stay running at some level, but it's not like your brakes are fighting the full power of your motor, and it will finally just stall. That's all assuming that for whatever reason you can't manage to get your foot to the clutch pedal for the entire time you are attempting the panic stop which is also unlikely. I'd say the difference is insignificant.

Now if you are talking full on downshifting and braking I think you could reduce the distance a few feet, but just pressing the clutch vs. not. I'm gonna have to go with no noteworthy difference.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #99
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the bottom line: while someone may feel that its entirely within their comfort zone (no pun intended) to have their leg sticking out of the jeep while driving, is it something that should be recommended to others who may not have the ability to react so quickly? This is a public forum and thousands of people venture to the tech sections every day to get advice on their problem jeeps.

I will leave everyone with that thought and not say another word about it.

(Unless its about spying on me in the shower. Then we need to have a talk!!)
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #100
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Here's the bottom line: while someone may feel that its entirely within their comfort zone (no pun intended) to have their leg sticking out of the jeep while driving, is it something that should be recommended to others who may not have the ability to react so quickly? This is a public forum and thousands of people venture to the tech sections every day to get advice on their problem jeeps.

I will leave everyone with that thought and not say another word about it.

(Unless its about spying on me in the shower. Then we need to have a talk!!)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13028_0100.htm

Not like anyone is breaking new ground here. Just showing a cheap alternative to a commercially available product.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #101
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yes sir I do, but they do have a roll bar.
many of the early cj's do not though. doors and tops were also options.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #102
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
many of the early cj's do not though. doors and tops were also options.

Gotcha. My 1980 CJ7 has one.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #103
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i can't believe this is actually an argument.

opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. weather you agree with a drivers foot-peg or not is irrelevant. if it's not breaking any laws any input would only be advice or an opinion. there is no "WINNING" this as an argument.

my personal opinion...
i'm too damn lazy for a foot-peg. normally when I'm door-less and i either put my foot on the rounded part of the rocker panel or rest the arch of my foot on the hinge itself.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #104
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I thought the pegs on the side of the YJs were like the ones I see on sport bikes.. keep the side from getting damaged when it flops over? NO?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #105
Idaho_Chad

Somebody slaps 33" tires on their already sucky stock brakes. Not a peep. (Talk about increasing braking distance...)

Another person intentionally loosens their shackle/spring bolts. A few whispers.

Someone else throws their track and sway bars in the trash. Cheers!

Someone puts their foot outside of their Jeep? All hell breaks loose!!!

I sometimes drive with my leg outside the Jeep too. Between the short wheel base, the high CG, death wobble, sucky brakes, no airbags, no ABS, sloppy steering, crappy headlights, and dodging all of the soccer moms in their ginormous SUVs talking on a cell phone... the extra 0.1 seconds it takes for my foot to get to the clutch pedal is pretty far down on my safety priority list.
Idaho_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.