$5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > $5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #76
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yeah tell that to the kid that used to live in my town that was cr cuising down the road one day and got hit on the passenger side door and knocked him out on his doorway and the seatbelt wasn't tight enough to hold him in and was killed in the wreck. Maybe if he had no seatbelt he would have been thrown clear or maybe if he had his doors on he wouldn't have fallen out. Point is any vehicle without doors or a top is more inherently dangerous than one with a top and doors.
There's always exceptions. Sounds more like seatbelt failure was the ultimate cause, not being doorless.

One of the tests for convertibles is keeping the passenger in during a rollover event. Proper seat belt use will keep you inside the confines of the passenger compartment, doors or not.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #77
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
There's always exceptions. Sounds more like seatbelt failure was the ultimate cause, not being doorless.

One of the tests for convertibles is keeping the passenger in during a rollover event. Proper seat belt use will keep you inside the confines of the passenger compartment, doors or not.
Yeah, those seatbelts in the old CJ’s leave allot to be desired.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #78
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yeah, those seatbelts in the old CJ’s leave allot to be desired.
you do know safety standards have evolved over the years, right? i think the lack of a roll bar would be more problematic in many of those cj's, eh?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #79
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirttracker18 View Post
I have my foot out the door all the time and I have a stick. I do not brake with that foot and in an emergency the clutch is my last concern, although I would bet I can get in the door and on the clutch as fast as someone on the dead peddle.
That's the same sort of mouthbreathing logic that believes that you don't need to wear a seat belt because you can just push away from the dash. The point wasn't about whether someone loses a leg, its about someone not being able to react in time to prevent someone else from gettin hurt. Its evident that you only care about yourself so I will let the rest of your post go without reply because its about as worthless as the other vomit you have posted thus far.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #80
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's the same sort of mouthbreathing logic that believes that you don't need to wear a seat belt because you can just push away from the dash. The point wasn't about whether someone loses a leg, its about someone not being able to react in time to prevent someone else from gettin hurt. Its evident that you only care about yourself so I will let the rest of your post go without reply because its about as worthless as the other vomit you have posted thus far.
Guys! This is what it is about!

Reaction time and nothing else.... If your foot is out the door only a non thinking person will say that they are just as fast to gain full control of the vehicle when a fraction of a second is the difference between a fender bender, a miss, or a fatality.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #81
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
3" is also the difference between ooh and ouch.

Thanks for making me spit coffee all over my keyboard!

I tried the whole peg thing once or twice. More like "foot on rock slide" thing. Didn't find it comfortable, but then again I'm not the most limber person in the world either.

To each his/her own. In my state there is a law stating that shoes must be worn when driving and feet cannot be outside the vehicle or on the dashboard. This applies to all locations within the vehicle.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #82
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

wowwww... FOOT PEGS FTW!!! I bet everyone that is against the pegs, has never messed with the radio, gps, cb, talked on the phone or texted while driving either lol
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #83
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just in case anyone wasn't aware. The brake pedal still works just fine even if you don't press the clutch.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #84
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Couldn't there be some sort of compromise? Like instead of a peg to hold your foot so your twig and berries can get some ram air up your shorts leg, you could build a bracket that holds a 3.5" flex hose that you can run to your nether regions for ventilation? As for the errant wasp that someone mentioned before, one could install a dry paper filter within said flex tube to filter out undesirables like dust and stinging insects. A special vacuum formed cold-air-induction ball chamber could be fashioned (in small medium, large, and Anticanman sizes) to better direct and circulate the fresh country air collected. I bet some one on here could rig that set up outta' $23.00 at Home Depot.

Damn, after proofing this, I so want to draw up schematics and put together a materials list.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
Member: The Wrecking Crew

/f12 YJ MOAB TRIP March 2014 thread

Write Ups:
TJ Flares on a YJ
Forum Searching: An Illustrated Guide
How to Post an Image in your Thread

91 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/35
99 TJ 4.0l Ax15 Np231 4.88 D30 ARB/D44 Yukon FOR SALE
92 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D30/Chrys 8.25 -SOLD
93 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/D35 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YRMV though.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #85
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Just in case anyone wasn't aware. The brake pedal still works just fine even if you don't press the clutch.

FYI:

True, brake pedal will still work. Stopping distance on the other hand "will for sure" be greatly affected.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #86
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
FYI:

True, brake pedal will still work. Stopping distance on the other hand "will for sure" be greatly affected.
Careful, I had a bunch of people argue that there is no difference in stopping distance because the brakes are just "stronger than the motor so it doesn't matter".

In fact, I'm half tempted to go look for that thread so I can hit my head against a wall for a while.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #87
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We point things out because we are willing to back it up with constructive advice. That last part is the most important. Anyone can point out mistakes but its ones who are willing to help rectify someone else's problems that we come to this site to seek out help.

We judge a little but wil see you through til you get it right. Sometimes even on your doorstep.

I copied this from another thread. I thought it applies here too.
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #88
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Couldn't there be some sort of compromise? Like instead of a peg to hold your foot so your twig and berries can get some ram air up your shorts leg, you could build a bracket that holds a 3.5" flex hose that you can run to your nether regions for ventilation? As for the errant wasp that someone mentioned before, one could install a dry paper filter within said flex tube to filter out undesirables like dust and stinging insects. A special vacuum formed cold-air-induction ball chamber could be fashioned (in small medium, large, and Anticanman sizes) to better direct and circulate the fresh country air collected. I bet some one on here could rig that set up outta' $23.00 at Home Depot.

Damn, after proofing this, I so want to draw up schematics and put together a materials list.
The threads these days are just killing me.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #89
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy

FYI:

I would just pop the tranny into neutral, but yes you are correct, not only will you be slowing down the jeep you will also have to slow down the transmission which also has the rpms of the engine behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #90
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post

You been peeking in the shower again?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.