$5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > $5/ 5 minutes DIY Foot pegs.

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #46
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its a cool mod. If you don't like it or disagree with the idea of draping your foot out the side, then thats fine. Click the back button and mumble something about additional safety and look at another thread. otherwise, I applaud the OP.

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #47
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I never did the foot peg thing. I just propped my foot on the door opening. Once I got my suspension seats I can't do that any more though.

Not sure what's with all the flamers and safety nazis. It's not like you can't buy these from quadratec if you don't like the OPs execution.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #48
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm kinda scared to show mine! They are footpegs off a KX 450. They work great. My rig is an auto.
image-735949149.jpg  
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A slight bit of grinding and a bolt. The pegs cost me a twelve pack of beer.
image-1506763741.jpg  
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #50
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I should have my pegs done by morning. Im using stunt pegs from an old bicycle.
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #51
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't see any mention about clutch less shifting in here. I guess you need your foot inside at all times for that?

I drive with my foot up and out a bit because it's comfortable and I don't use my clutch to shift all but starting from a stop in first. Now to wait for someone to nag me on the damage I'm doing to my engine/tranny by doing this.

Jeepforum always amazes me when something of debate comes up.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #52
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I shift without a clutch sometimes. Leftover habit from driving a semi I guess.

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #53
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have to look at all perspectives on a debate like this. It shouldn't be one, but it has come to that. I and I am sure most understand what the "safety nazis" (which I don't agree with this term) are saying. Think of it like this, you are cruising down a neighbourhood going a nice speed of 30km an hour, loose focus for a second at the hotty jogging in her yoga pants, next thing you know you have swerved too close to the other car that is looking at the same thing, and bam! Foot into bumper. That's not going to feel good, an it's possible that the other car might swerve, loose control and run over a kid playing at the swing set in the playground. Now I am not opening a debate on this fictional story I just made up, you see my point, if you have something smart to say, write it on a piece of paper and shove it.
As for the foot peg mod, that's a great idea, I find that is a bit of a stretch for me, so I just rest my foot on the door jamb. I have been thinking of a dead pedal or something. Glad you shared a simple and effective idea for everyone to see.
I had an 8ball steering knob on my steering wheel since I bought it. No body ever said that was a bad idea or flamed me for it. What if I were to try and steer in a hurry and catch my hand on it and the wheel bounces away from the direction I wanted it to go. That's why the ball is illegal.
This doesn't apply to me anymore as I have removed it as my new seats cause the ball to hit my in a place I would prefer it to not to. All I am saying is that everyone does things to their rigs that other may thing is unsafe and it could very well be. Let it be. If it was a jimmy rig job on his steering, suspension, brakes or frame, then yes, flame on! But this is as simple as pulling your leg it, I have my foot on the door jamb, and I can pull it in pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #54
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

image-1311570802.jpg

Repurposed bicycle stunt pegs.

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #55
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
But this is as simple as pulling your leg it, I have my foot on the door jamb, and I can pull it in pretty quick.

Most of the guys responding own automatic transmissions and the safe question concerning having control of the rig on the road is debatable. In fact I will agree with the guys that have automatic transmissions that this is a mod they can get way with.

But please do not tell me that you can pull your leg in pretty quick to avoid a panic stop when something happens like a kid runs out in front of you and etc.

Again, I am not a Jeep cop but I will have to call you on this very bad thought. I personally like the mod but am against it on any stick shift street driven vehicle.

Having a foot out the door is just a bad idea, and a very bad idea if you drive a stick shift on the road.

BigBossed, you need to think this one over. You cannot be quick enough in a panic maneuver when fractions of a second count. Those of us that have been laid up and stuck in a bed or limping around due to auto accidents will attest to this.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Having a foot out the door is just a bad idea, and a very bad idea if you drive a stick shift on the road.

BigBossed, you need to think this one over. You cannot be quick enough in a panic maneuver when fractions of a second count. Those of us that have been laid up and stuck in a bed or limping around due to auto accidents will attest to this.
Nobody I know that drives a stick has their foot covering the clutch at all times - you'd get a leg cramp if you tried. Without a dead pedal, your foot ends up on the floor next to and slightly under the clutch, and I'll guarantee you that it takes just as long to get your foot out from under the clutch as it does to get it off the door jamb or a foot peg.

Besides that, the foot that really matters in an emergency is always just a couple inches away from the brake pedal. Stalling is the least of your worries if a kid jumps out in front of you.

I'm not worried about some guy in a Jeep getting a cool breeze - I'd worry more about folks who turn on cruise control and then do something really stupid like crossing their legs beneath themselves. I have some friends who I'll no longer ride with because of stupid stuff like that done while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #57
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraxen View Post
I used to put my foot on the rock rail on those hot sticky days to create a Ram air for my Balls.
I literally just . Things like that make me wish I had a wrangler not a KJ.

And as for the safety issue here I see none. He can easily get his foot to the clutch just as if it was in the vehicle, there's nothing blocking the path of his foot from it.
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #58
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueKJ

I literally just . Things like that make me wish I had a wrangler not a KJ.

And as for the safety issue here I see none. He can easily get his foot to the clutch just as if it was in the vehicle, there's nothing blocking the path of his foot from it.
Exactly. I haven't had any issues with it.
And pasin, I was in bed for along time due to my accident when a drunk driver rear ended me. I know all about being "disabled". This foot peg has nothing on a drunk driver. And I agree, stalling my jeep with my brakes isn't hard. Quite easy actually. I stand by my previous statement. Good job OP. Great idea to me anyhow.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #59
jmmorgan82

Talk about how "unsafe" it is all you want, I still think footpegs are one of the best things I've bought for long drives. I don't really care how it looks for other people, for me it is super comfortable and allows my boys to breathe.

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #60
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I really can't believe this thread direction. If we wanted to be safe we wouldn't drive an old *** jeep! Between death wobbling, crappy caster angles, and driving with out sway bars just to mention a minute few. Foot pegs get flamed??? Jeeze go hang out with the mayor from NY, yall will get along. I have a 5 speed and no foot pegs, but you know what I do when I'm cruising? I stick my big *** foot out the door. Either on the door jamb or just let it hang whichever is more comfortable at that time. Do I do it in traffic? No cause I'm not an F'n moron. But don't worry flamers the Google self driving car will make sooner than later make it illegal to manually operate a vehicle on the road anyway. There you have it you got your "safe" wish. No more a$$holes on the road. Rant off...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.