5.2 swap or 4.0 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.2 swap or 4.0 swap

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
A wrangler as light as they are don't need a V-8, depends on if you want an off roader, or race car. V-8's can be fun and hard on drivetrains. On my 87 258 I instaled a holley 470 TA 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, header, rollor rockers, head work, DUI, and MSD. It has plenty of power and yet not too much and still leaves plenty of room in the engine bay to work. The short of it is, that the 4.0 would be easier and give you all the juice that you need and they even have 5.0 stroker kits for them. However, if it's gobs of power you want, then the V-8 might be worth your trouble. It boils down to what you want from your jeep.
Listen I like having a straight 6 and I plan on stroking a 4.0L if and when mine dies or i get tired of talking about it. but as far as bang for the buck especially if someone has a great deal lined up on a donor vehicle then going v8 is usually a better deal. when you look at the stroker kits or a stroker short block they are just ridiculous on the price. I have a spare 4.0L that I have torn down and will rebuild it back up with stroker parts over a span of time, but you are right it will be a lot harder on a stock drivetrain and that is something that should be considered when doing a powertrain swap or upgrade.

Unread 08-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
88yjwrang
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the 4.0 AW4 swap and i am very pleased with the results. It required some fab work but i had a writeoff cherokee that i stole the motor mounts, computers, and anything else i needed. I wanted the v8 but there are lots of unexpected costs and fab work involved (not that i was scared of bringing out the plasma and mig). Axles will need to be changed, shafts, gears. i personally wanted a DD that i could also use for weekend warrior as well. In the end its your choice on how much you want to spend, the hours you want to put into it, and how long you can afford to have your jeep out of commission. Just my $.02
88yjwrang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
I wouldn't use the auto tranny from the XJ Cherokee. First downside is it is computer driven rather than mechanical like a chevy 700r4. The second downside is that the "overdrive" really isn't "overdrive" rather it has 1:1 torque converter lockup which is not overdrive. And finally, I int believe it offers much crawl advantage as it has a shamefully high first gear.

Tough call though, honestly I would go with 4.0 and if u want an automatic I would honestly stick with a tf999 or chevy 700r4 with the appropriate adapter. The 700r4 has a relatively low first gear (awesome) and true overdrive (awesome), and no silly computer to run it(awesome).
Those adapters are also in the $450-500 range. Not to mention you then have to backhalf your transfer case with a 231c/231j hybrid.

And you're obviously not that familiar with cherokees or the AW4. It's a true overdrive transmission, .75 overdrive to be exact. As for wiring in the computer? It's 5 wires. If someone can swap a tranny, they can splice in 5 wires...more so given the number of people that have done the swap and created great writeups.

And a 700r4 has an 8% lower first gear. Not exactly what I'd call shameful high first gear.
pariah24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjcolorado3393 View Post
Im looking to finally swap out my 4 banger from my 94 jeep wrangler im debating on buying a cherokee with a 4.0 and a automatic transmission or a grand cherokee with the 5.2 v8 with an automatic trans just wondering which one would be the better investment also if anyone could post past write ups on the engine swaps that would be a great help thanks
The real question is how do you intend to use your jeep. A 4.0 swap would be infinitely easier, and less expensive. If you want or need more torque, look into a stroker. Although a stroker definitely ups the complication factor a little bit, otherwise everything is all bolt in.

With a V8 swap, you're looking at:
-custom fab work of some type just to get the motor mounted
-new radiator and cooling system
-new transmission
-new custom length driveshafts
-wiring harness
-you'll need the input shaft on the ZJ transfer case

Plus it's more complicated if the ZJ is ODBII.

So ask yourself if you have the time, money and patience to deal with the V8 swap. Then figure out what you really want/need out of the swap. And go from there.
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj View Post
Listen I like having a straight 6 and I plan on stroking a 4.0L if and when mine dies or i get tired of talking about it. but as far as bang for the buck especially if someone has a great deal lined up on a donor vehicle then going v8 is usually a better deal. when you look at the stroker kits or a stroker short block they are just ridiculous on the price. I have a spare 4.0L that I have torn down and will rebuild it back up with stroker parts over a span of time, but you are right it will be a lot harder on a stock drivetrain and that is something that should be considered when doing a powertrain swap or upgrade.
Those kits are incredibly overpriced because of the convenience factor. I can buy the components individually and save a wad of cash. What RPMMachine sells for $949, I can get for <$550.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah24 View Post
Those kits are incredibly overpriced because of the convenience factor. I can buy the components individually and save a wad of cash. What RPMMachine sells for $949, I can get for <$550.
Trust me friend I completely understand why they are overpriced .
I run a maintenance dept. and have to deal with the convenient overpriced option of getting parts from the OEM or doing the legwork and getting the stuff from a vendor for about 1/3 of the cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.