The 5.2/5.9 swap guide for YJs - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The 5.2/5.9 swap guide for YJs

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #61
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I slipped and cut into my clutch lines while cutting off the motor mounts. Where do I go for those? Napa? It's the metal lines that run along the frame.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #62
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I slipped and cut into my clutch lines while cutting off the motor mounts. Where do I go for those? Napa? It's the metal lines that run along the frame.
dont you mean brake lines? you should be able to pick them up from napa, hopefully its not the rear brake line. I came awful close to cutting mine too. My clutch line is a plastic line that runs down the firewall to the bellhousing. before I did the external slave swap I had a metal line run down the firewall to the bellhousing for the internal slave.
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #63
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
dont you mean brake lines? you should be able to pick them up from napa, hopefully its not the rear brake line. I came awful close to cutting mine too. My clutch line is a plastic line that runs down the firewall to the bellhousing. before I did the external slave swap I had a metal line run down the firewall to the bellhousing for the internal slave.
Yes, the brake lines. Don't know why I was thinking clutch.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #64
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone please confirm to me that I'm not going crazy. I've stripped the Cherokee harness of all unnecessary wiring using the wiring schematics from a service manual for my year of ZJ. Now my question is? I've got a Dodge Ram truck computer I've been told that I can use that. I do not have a service manual for the truck thus I can't confirm that the PCM connection is the same as the Cherokee? Is the PCM connector going to have the same locations for the sensors? I'm going to be making my final connections tonight and possibly trying to turn the motor over on its own I don't want to fry anything by hooking up the wrong computer. Please help
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #65
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can someone please confirm to me that I'm not going crazy. I've stripped the Cherokee harness of all unnecessary wiring using the wiring schematics from a service manual for my year of ZJ. Now my question is? I've got a Dodge Ram truck computer I've been told that I can use that. I do not have a service manual for the truck thus I can't confirm that the PCM connection is the same as the Cherokee? Is the PCM connector going to have the same locations for the sensors? I'm going to be making my final connections tonight and possibly trying to turn the motor over on its own I don't want to fry anything by hooking up the wrong computer. Please help
I'm kinda confused, you're asking if the wiring harness plug will plug into the computer port, right? If so, then it should because the computers are the same for Jeep and Dodge, just different programs written into the computer.

If you're asking is the wiring and sensors not compatible, it should be. You won't fry anything.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #66
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just answered my own question. They are almost identical. Only differences are #8 on Cherokee is engine starter relay and the trucks is blank #9 on Cherokee is ignition acces. feed, the truck is start run.
#51 on cherokee is fuel pump relay and the truck is auto shut down relay control.
And lastly #57 on cherokee is ignition coil, fuel injection, and fuel pump, on truck it is the shut down relay which I do beleive they serve the same purpose just worded differently. Anyways here is a pic of the truck pcm plug in case your curious like me.
93 dodge Truck:

93 grand Cherokee:
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #67
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think what you're asking is are the pinouts for the ecm connector the same between models. I think they are the same, but don't hold me to that! I remember thinking wow the yj ecm connector is almost pinned the same as the dodge ram, so I would think zj 5.2 would be identical to ram 5.2 connectors.

EDIT, I'm a slow typist apparently! Didn't get in until after you answered the question.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #68
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm kinda confused, you're asking if the wiring harness plug will plug into the computer port, right? If so, then it should because the computers are the same for Jeep and Dodge, just different programs written into the computer.

If you're asking is the wiring and sensors not compatible, it should be. You won't fry anything.
I was asking if the wires are in the same location on the plug as in is the map sensor, throttle position sensor, vss etc.all the same location. Either way I answered my own stuipid question with a quick search over on dodge forum. Thanks for the help guys this baby should come to life this weekend.
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #69
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was asking if the wires are in the same location on the plug as in is the map sensor, throttle position sensor, vss etc.all the same location. Either way I answered my own stuipid question with a quick search over on dodge forum. Thanks for the help guys this baby should come to life this weekend.
Get it running asap! Mine still hasn't even come home from the shop for the welding I had done. That was months ago.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #70
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I drove mine today.....
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #71
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Get it running asap! Mine still hasn't even come home from the shop for the welding I had done. That was months ago.
it's been a year since i drove mine... if the planets align today will be the first drive i have in it.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #72
94squareeyes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you using the ram computer because its a manual? If so, the stock auto zj computer will work fine. That's what I'm running with an ax15 and it runs fine. I didn't have to worry about the pinout
94squareeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #73
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I hope to soon . A few more wiring questions though. For my VSS the Cherokee harness has three wires white/ orange, white/black, black/blue. The Sc108 VSS that I have is only a two wire plug. I know the white/black is 8 volts supply, and the black/blue is sensor ground, and the white/orange if you follow that wire back to the PCM connector it splits just before it gets to the PCM,where does that extra white/orange wire go what do I hook that to?
Next there is a orange/blue wire coming out of the PDC I have it labeled as fuel pump relay this wire went through the firewall up under the dash, there is also orange/blue wire coming from the PCM it goes down to the PDC through the interconnect I know this is all for the fuel pump relay just not quite sure how I'm supposed to hook up that one orange/blue wire coming out of the PDC the went through the firewall?
Next there's a blue wire coming out of the PDC labeled Engine control its a 30 amp fuse what do I hook that too?
Next there's a red/yellow wire coming out of the PDC labeled fuse block what do i hook that too?
next there's a light blue/red wire coming out of the PDC labeled auto shutdown relay what do I hook that too?
Next there's a sensor next to the heater core hose its 1 wire and it is violet/yellow it connected to the plug going into the instrument panel what's this for? It's not the coolant temperature sensor its a different sensor.
These are the wires holding me up causing me to scratch my head right now. Just to remind you all mighty and all knowing mopar wiring Gods my Jeep was carbureted and had been nuttered by the previous owner I put a junkyard HEI and Motorcraft 2100 carburetor on it. So most of the original wiring is gone. Sorry for the long winded post.
Unread 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #74
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I drove mine today.....
You...

Two butt cheeks, hole inbetween those... you!

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #75
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I am! It was fun too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.