The 5.2/5.9 swap guide for YJs - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The 5.2/5.9 swap guide for YJs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #46
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
What VSS is everyone using? since my jeep is a '90 it does not have one. I found a brand new one on ebay its a SC108 which is what O'Reillys and auto zone say will work with a 92 wrangler. Its brand new only $25 on ebay but oreillys wants $82 for it the seller has a great rep/stars for sales so I'm not worried about them just the quality of the part. Or I could snag one off a Cherokee in the junkyard but I figured its a sensor I should get new.
junkyard $5 from a early 90's dakota or rockauto $69. I can't find the adapter nut for the speedometer cable though. I have it zip tied together right now. I've been looking for an early 90's cherokee to see if it has the nut but I haven't seen any lately.

Unread 01-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #47
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i would assume they are the same, i think i have have heard of people doing just as you have suggested. you may want to look into it and see if it will work. i honestly can't see why it wouldn't work.
I think i will try it I test fit it tonight and you were right the auto is too long but one set of washers and it should raise it up enough, the real question is how far is to far for it to not work.
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #48
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post

junkyard $5 from a early 90's dakota or rockauto $69. I can't find the adapter nut for the speedometer cable though. I have it zip tied together right now. I've been looking for an early 90's cherokee to see if it has the nut but I haven't seen any lately.
Yea no luck on the junk yards here. I did end up getting one off of ebay for $25 brand new so its a sc108 which is the replacement for a 91 wrangler. I hope it works.
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #49
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i would assume they are the same, i think i have have heard of people doing just as you have suggested. you may want to look into it and see if it will work. i honestly can't see why it wouldn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post

when I did my hesco/junkyard MPFI i used an auto CPS they should read the same. the auto CPS is shaped like a "P" and the manual CPS is shaped like a "T". One mounting point vs two.
Messed around with the auto cps today I used a piece of cereal box cardboard as a spacer between the sensor and tone ring

Then used three washers as spacers to the block mount.

I spun the motor to see if there is any contact and it looks fine. Anyone know if this wont work? its not too hard to get to now that the motor is mounted so if I have to swap it out its not that big of a deal.

And sundevil if I'm clogging this thread up with all my questions I will move it to another thread I dont want to my junk taking up space here.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Messed around with the auto cps today I used a piece of cereal box cardboard as a spacer between the sensor and tone ring

Then used three washers as spacers to the block mount.

I spun the motor to see if there is any contact and it looks fine. Anyone know if this wont work? its not too hard to get to now that the motor is mounted so if I have to swap it out its not that big of a deal.

And sundevil if I'm clogging this thread up with all my questions I will move it to another thread I dont want to my junk taking up space here.
I'm actually quite fine with it, there's some info being addressed right now that I haven't found elsewhere, so it's a good thing you're bringing this up in here. If anything, it's also bringing up something for future readers to see.

I can just edit the original post with links to the posts in this thread that mention specific problems. When you find out the info, just make a post with pics if you can about if it works or not. Then I can copy and paste a link in the OP.

EDIT: Websites like Novak say this swap isn't very well documented, I'm one amongst many trying to cure that.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #51
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I'm actually quite fine with it, there's some info being addressed right now that I haven't found elsewhere, so it's a good thing you're bringing this up in here. If anything, it's also bringing up something for future readers to see.

I can just edit the original post with links to the posts in this thread that mention specific problems. When you find out the info, just make a post with pics if you can about if it works or not. Then I can copy and paste a link in the OP.

EDIT: Websites like Novak say this swap isn't very well documented, I'm one amongst many trying to cure that.
Thanks Bud just dont want to step on anyones toes. I like you plan to document my build for people doing this swap. Thanks for creating this thread.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #52
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Bud just dont want to step on anyones toes. I like you plan to document my build for people doing this swap. Thanks for creating this thread.
Go ahead and step all you want, I got steel toe boots on

If all this helps one person, I'm happy. This is kinda like walking around the house picking up puzzle pieces and trying to put the puzzle together. Lots of info everywhere, some of it conflicting.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #53
94squareeyes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just want to add the cps info. When I did my swap, I used the Dakota 3.9 manual sensor when I took the bell housing. It fits and works perfectly.
94squareeyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #54
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94squareeyes View Post
I just want to add the cps info. When I did my swap, I used the Dakota 3.9 manual sensor when I took the bell housing. It fits and works perfectly.
Most excellent, another bit to add to my notes I have here.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #55
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Updated the OP with clutch and flywheel information. Put some more electronics info in there too.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #56
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What conversion radiator is everyone using off of ebay? I've heard a few guys say they like them. They are all about the same price so I just want a seller from the U.S. with good reviews and comments.
Found out my radiator is cracked at the neck where it meets the reservoir.

Here is a link to the ebay V8 radiators.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/allItms?itemId...960&pid=100107
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #57
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i got creative with some 1" copper. some short straight sections and a couple 90* elbows worked just fine to snake around the serpentine belt while using a stock TJ aluminum radiator.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #58
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whats everyone doing for power steering lines?? my stock ones were toast and you cant get the YJ high pressure line anymore. Cherokee ones wont work so looking for an alternative to hook up to the zj pump?
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #59
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i'm using the ZJ lines on my stock YJ box. they bolted right up for me.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #60
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used TJ lines on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.