4x4 trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 trouble

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Cstanford03
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 trouble

soooo....was out doing a little wheeling lastnight and got stuck then i noticed my 4wd was engaged and the drive shaft was spinning and the "vacuum hose"? that comes off the axle was disconnected.. and i cant figure out where it goes is there a diagram online somewhere that i havent found that shows me where it connects to? its a 89 yj islander straight 6.. the driveshaft turns but nothing seems to be working i put a new carb on it got rid of the carter and put a motocraft 2150 on there and had a hard time finding a vacuum port that pulls enough from the carb to engage the accuator so its straight off the intake and its always engaged. and i think that might be some of the issue because its always engaged...which also hurt me driving down the highway at 70mph so this morning I messed with the actuator a bit this morning and now the 4wd works not sure if it was stuck or what but I still need to find a vacuum other than straight out of the manifold to connect to im sure someone else has had this problem thank ya!

Cstanford03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just lock the fork over.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
tommy450r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go ahead an do the one piece axle swap just search it on here be worth it in the long run. Just my .02
tommy450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It needs a check valve between the vacuum source and where it hooks up to keep the vacuum from being too low when you accelerate.

Here is a diagram of how it is set up. Stock, there is a vacuum reservoir, but I unhooked mine and it still works fine.

Note that the blue line is a vent. Also, be careful, there are some diagrams floating around (color homemade ones) that don't show the checkvalves correctly.

The vacuum lines are almost 25 years old if they are original. Probably should just replace them while you are messing with it. Regular autoparts store rubber ones are fine.

dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.