4x4 Posi-Lok - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 Posi-Lok

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13
a posilok is a good upgrade from the cad system or a tj solid axle but i still have the cad system and it works well but the only thing that sucks is when the vacuum hoses rip off occasionally in ruts 4wd will be gone. i did that before and it sucks. and yeah i like all jeeps but the yjs are the last real jeeps leaf spring, rough riding, noisy, rugged interior and plus yj was AMC's last new product right before chrysler bought them out.
Yeah it ashamed what Chrysler has done to them they have destroyed them and worse they slap the jeep name on cheap stuff like baby strolls and back packs and crappy knives. They are killing the jeep name because of greed its horrible.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #17
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

Yeah it ashamed what Chrysler has done to them they have destroyed them and worse they slap the jeep name on cheap stuff like baby strolls and back packs and crappy knives. They are killing the jeep name because of greed its horrible.
Yep makes me want to throwup their destroying a legend making stuff like that. I knw this is the yj section but i hated they killed the xj(amc made too) in 2001 since i own 1 too. Oh and the worst 1 they ended the legendary 4.0 I6.
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped out my two piece axle for an XJ single piece (passenger side) a couple years ago. I had the posi-lok thing before, but I didn't like it. The swap only took about an hour and I sold my posi-lok for 120 bucks. I am very happy with the swap. My son has an '88 YJ and we're going to do the swap on his Jeep as well. I've used my 4X4 plenty of times and love it. I had the posi-lok for about five years or so, and I like the new set up much better. Good luck....
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Hence why I said it just my OPINION and said he should research more and decide for himself. I also said I have heard both people that swear by them and people that hate them. Congress yours worked for two years great deal or not you switch from posi lock to solid axle if it was so great why spend the money to switch at all. You Wanna offer an OPINION fine but don't bag on mine because YOU THINK your opinion is better. Offer your opinion and give your reason why YOU think its better and leave it at that. Do not try to little others to make yourself feel better. I did not little anyone said its my opinion take it at face value and recommended he loom at all options weigh the pros and cons and decide which be feels is better for him.

I wasn't bagging on your opinion, I offered facts to clarify misinformation given. I don't need to belittle anyone in order to feel good about myself, you offered an opinion and that's all fine and dandy, unfortunately the information provided wasn't accurate. Sorry if it hurt you feelings. We're all here to learn and provide help to others, that's what I was trying to do.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

I wasn't bagging on your opinion, I offered facts to clarify misinformation given. I don't need to belittle anyone in order to feel good about myself, you offered an opinion and that's all fine and dandy, unfortunately the information provided wasn't accurate. Sorry if it hurt you feelings. We're all here to learn and provide help to others, that's what I was trying to do.
You did you tried to make it sound like I was giving bad info about posi locks and I did not. I said I heard opinions from both sides of it good and bad. I also said I have not done one my self. Either your doing a poor job of defending your self or you did not pay attention when reading my post. Either way your mistake.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13

Yep makes me want to throwup their destroying a legend making stuff like that. I knw this is the yj section but i hated they killed the xj(amc made too) in 2001 since i own 1 too. Oh and the worst 1 they ended the legendary 4.0 I6.
Yeah its sickening that they got rid of the 4.0 and the 2.5 they are both tough as nails and last forever if properly maintained

Unread 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

All I have to say is different strokes for different folks. The posilock set up offers more than just a secure way to engage the front axle, it offers a secure way to disengage it too! Whether you're running a lunchbox locker or have your front spiders welded that option can give you better steering capability under high stress situations or just 2wd low range with an open differential up front. Off roading is as much about tactics as it is horsepower. The solid front shaft has it's place too and as far as I know it's the only way to get chromoly steel in the Dana 30. On the cheaper side it is yet another way to just adios the cad system that relies on vacuum lines that crack and sometimes pull out. The xj shafts are easily found in wrecking yards and on CL being parted out all the time. But the easiest way to solve which option is best in the front axle is to get another e clip and lock the fork over on the cad itself and walk away. Costs $5 if you don't have rtv sitting around.

Now you two, quit your bickering over semantics!
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So does solid axle. When you shift the transfer case to 2 wheel your no longer in 4 wheel period. Putting an e clip in to just hold the collar over is another good option though it would be just like doing the solid axle swap and it sounds like the cheapest yet. If a two wheel low option is important you could also twin stick the transfer case. I do not know what all is involved it that though. But its more options and options are always good.

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No has mentioned the benefit of having a posilock + auto locker instead of a solid TJ shaft.

(Being able to disengage with a lunch box locker is the reason I'm sticking with a two piece shaft)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
No has mentioned the benefit of having a posilock + auto locker instead of a solid TJ shaft.

(Being able to disengage with a lunch box locker is the reason I'm sticking with a two piece shaft)
If I didn't say it, I was definitely thinking it!
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

If I didn't say it, I was definitely thinking it!
I missed it. Sorry!
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You did you tried to make it sound like I was giving bad info about posi locks and I did not. I said I heard opinions from both sides of it good and bad. I also said I have not done one my self. Either your doing a poor job of defending your self or you did not pay attention when reading my post. Either way your mistake.
You gave bad info. I have no need to defend myself, I didn't give bad info. I spoke from experience, something you said yourself you don't have therefore you're operating off second hand info and assumption, both of which were wrong. If I were being a jerk about it, I would have quoted you, split it into multiple sections and picked it apart.

Sorry you're all butt hurt over someone giving correct info.

Let's move on.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #28
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If a two wheel low option is important you could also twin stick the transfer case. I do not know what all is involved it that though. But its more options and options are always good.

I've thought about doing a twin stick in the transfer later on down the line. can this be done with the stock transfer case or will i have source another T-case?? anyone know?
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #29
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Look to an atlas 2 or a flipped Dana 300 but I'm pretty sure just posilock is cheaper if you need 2low or if you need to solve your vacuum problem just buy an e clip.
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #30
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So does solid axle. When you shift the transfer case to 2 wheel your no longer in 4 wheel period. Putting an e clip in to just hold the collar over is another good option though it would be just like doing the solid axle swap and it sounds like the cheapest yet. If a two wheel low option is important you could also twin stick the transfer case. I do not know what all is involved it that though. But its more options and options are always good.
You can't twin stick an NP231.

IMO, the vacuum system is complete ****. I've been left without 4wd when I needed it 4 times. I'd replaced 2 actuators and the fork in it, the 4th time it would have taken another new fork to repair it, even with proper maintenance, the system is decent at best.

I have no experience with posi-trac, but I did my one-piece swap for less. I payed $70 for the shaft, $75 to have my driveshaft balanced and rebuilt, and $50 for the seals and a block off plate. It could be done cheaper if you get the shafts from pull-a-part, and source the seals and plate yourself instead of getting the kit. I payed $45 for 2 spares, wish I knew about that before I payed $70 for one
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.