4x4 Posi-Lok - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 Posi-Lok

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 Posi-Lok

Hey guys...

surfing around the stores over your way, i came across this Posi-Lok system, and thought what a great replacement for the vacuum set up the YJ's have. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52435_0X_PG.htm

I have actually just recently had to repair one of the lines from the motor to the diff, and dont really feel like carrying out too many more repairs on it.

So, in saying that, before I jump up and down and get one on order, I just wanted to hear some feedback and reviews on it from you guys - see who's fitted them and how they go.

Thanx in advance.

Unread 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The vacuum system if properly maintained works great. To do the posilock you have to drill a hole to run the cable through. In doing so you are adding a point of entry for water mud dirt and who knows what else. A lot of people swear by them but I have heard just as many horror stories of the fitting leaking over time and suck or different things catching the cable and tearing it out. If you want to go that route order a right side tj solid axle you can probably ly get one for close to the same price as a posi lock and make sure your front drive shaft is balanced because it will spin all the time like a tj's does. This will not hurt anything and won't make it to where your in 4 wheel all the time or anything cause you still have to engage and disengage the transfer case. Some drive shafts are balanced from the factory I got lucky mine was but I hear most are not. If your is not balanced you will know because you will feel the vibes if you go solid front axle. Solid front axle IMO is a better option then posi lock but I have never had a prob with the back system in mine and most people agree that the back system is very reliable with proper maintenance

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
The vacuum system if properly maintained works great. To do the posilock you have to drill a hole to run the cable through. In doing so you are adding a point of entry for water mud dirt and who knows what else. A lot of people swear by them but I have heard just as many horror stories of the fitting leaking over time and suck or different things catching the cable and tearing it out. If you want to go that route order a right side tj solid axle you can probably ly get one for close to the same price as a posi lock and make sure your front drive shaft is balanced because it will spin all the time like a tj's does. This will not hurt anything and won't make it to where your in 4 wheel all the time or anything cause you still have to engage and disengage the transfer case. Some drive shafts are balanced from the factory I got lucky mine was but I hear most are not. If your is not balanced you will know because you will feel the vibes if you go solid front axle. Solid front axle IMO is a better option then posi lock but I have never had a prob with the back system in mine and most people agree that the back system is very reliable with proper maintenance

Thanx for the quick response mate.

All points taken, and they are very valid points. I will admit im alot more paranoid about water and mud getting into vital mechanics since destroying an engine after getting stuck in a fairly deep bog hole. So i will definately consider what you said about drilling the hole, but im still definately open to all opinions.

So, I want to clear one thing up, you said to get a right side axle from the front of a TJ - so your basically saying replace the YJ's axle with a TJ axle to eliminate the vac system?
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You only have to drill a hole for the posi lock the tj axle avoids this. You have two axles in the front the left and the right(the rear is the same) there is one on each side of the differential. You only need the right side(passenger's side). You can find used ones pretty cheap. It's a very popular mod and its an upgrade as well. If you search tj solid axle swap in a YJ or something like that you will find more info on it than you will ever need. I am seriously paranoid about unwanted mud water or anything else getting in places it shouldn't be. With that said I will do the axle swap if I ever ditch the cache system. All said and done i think it is actually cheaper than the $220 posi lock kits if you can do the work yourself. The work sounds very easy with the instructions I have read on it and you have hundreds of excellent people on here to answer any questions you may have they have helped me numerous times. I will tell you the same I tell everyone though this is just my opinion. Do some research and do what you think is best this is just my opinion. Search them both there hundreds of threads on each. And be for warned a lot of people are probably gonna post simply telling you to use the search function because there are already tons of threads answering this question. Don't let it get to you though we all did it at one time. But instead of waiting for everyone to reply you can search them both and probably find a few other options by searching different things like 4x4 cache system replacement and such that will answer your question fast and help you make a good informed decision. Good luck with figuring out what you wanna do to remedy you problem and I hope it works well and makes you happy both long and short term

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cache is supposed to be vacuum

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanx for clearing that up for me.

You've thrown a spanner in the works for me now - I spose i have to decide which way i want to go. The axle upgrade does sound better - I'll definately do some more research into this and see what i come up with.

Unfortunately i cant ask too many of these questions down here in Aus due to the severe lack of YJ's actually in the country lol.
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's something that makes jeep forums so great you can ask people all over the globe questions lol. Good Luck hope you find your answers. It is ok yj's are rare there just shows you have good taste and got a real jeep before Chrysler started messing with them and screwing them up.

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's something that makes jeep forums so great you can ask people all over the globe questions lol. Good Luck hope you find your answers. It is ok yj's are rare there just shows you have good taste and got a real jeep before Chrysler started messing with them and screwing them up.
LOL thanx buddy.

its all TJ's and JK's out here. They all get worried when a leaf sprung 4cyl wrangler shows em up!
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The pre built posi does not require any holes to be drilled etc.... The home built one will require drilling a hole, I suppose if someone was completley reckless while building it mud water etc could get in there. I ran one that way for about two years, never got a drop of mud water etc. in there. As for pulling the cable out, I suppose that's at least as possible as catching all four of those factory vacuum lines, brake lines, vent hoses, etc....

I did eventually go to a solid shaft conversion because I got a screaming deal on the shafts, but the home built posi worked flawlessly for the time I had it.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
The pre built posi does not require any holes to be drilled etc.... The home built one will require drilling a hole, I suppose if someone was completley reckless while building it mud water etc could get in there. I ran one that way for about two years, never got a drop of mud water etc. in there. As for pulling the cable out, I suppose that's at least as possible as catching all four of those factory vacuum lines, brake lines, vent hoses, etc....

I did eventually go to a solid shaft conversion because I got a screaming deal on the shafts, but the home built posi worked flawlessly for the time I had it.
Hence why I said it just my OPINION and said he should research more and decide for himself. I also said I have heard both people that swear by them and people that hate them. Congress yours worked for two years great deal or not you switch from posi lock to solid axle if it was so great why spend the money to switch at all. You Wanna offer an OPINION fine but don't bag on mine because YOU THINK your opinion is better. Offer your opinion and give your reason why YOU think its better and leave it at that. Do not try to little others to make yourself feel better. I did not little anyone said its my opinion take it at face value and recommended he loom at all options weigh the pros and cons and decide which be feels is better for him.

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ33P

LOL thanx buddy.

its all TJ's and JK's out here. They all get worried when a leaf sprung 4cyl wrangler shows em up!
Lol they should be worried. Worried your gonna make them look bad. I have respect for all jeeps but I feel yjs are supiorer to all the other jeeps with the exception of cjs. In short they are worried cause your gonna be towing them out.

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh before I forget if you decide to go posi lock there are directions on here on how to build your own for like twenty bucks American. I am getting ready to do a hand throttle. Don't know if I will ever really need it but it sounds awesome and looks awesome but I like buttons and levers lol the more the merrier. What area of Australia are you in? My wife has a friend in Victoria

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
JRJ33P
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh before I forget if you decide to go posi lock there are directions on here on how to build your own for like twenty bucks American. I am getting ready to do a hand throttle. Don't know if I will ever really need it but it sounds awesome and looks awesome but I like buttons and levers lol the more the merrier. What area of Australia are you in? My wife has a friend in Victoria

Levers and buttons, yes i'll get there soon too.

I'm in Sydney, New South Wales.
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a posilok is a good upgrade from the cad system or a tj solid axle but i still have the cad system and it works well but the only thing that sucks is when the vacuum hoses rip off occasionally in ruts 4wd will be gone. i did that before and it sucks. and yeah i like all jeeps but the yjs are the last real jeeps leaf spring, rough riding, noisy, rugged interior and plus yj was AMC's last new product right before chrysler bought them out.
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't feel bad I just got my current jeep 3 months ago and do not have much disposable income so my build up is gona take awhile. I just ordered a high lift and locking mount an hour ago. I have spent all my extra cash replacing fluids up till recently finally got them all done since I didn't know when they were done last and I replaced a seal between the trany and transfer case. Now I get to slowly start doing other things. I got my highlift next is A/c since summers are humid as hell here then its a good winch and bumpers and hopefully on oars air after that. It's my dd and I drive 80 miles each way for work so a lift and big tires are out it would make mileage even worse but I don't rock crawl I do some mud and a lot of hill climbs but mild stuff compared to a lot of people on here. I will eventually get it set up the way I want though it'll just take 3 - 5 years. Eventually it'll have selectable lockers front a d rear d44s front and rear and eventually an ax15 trany with a nice desiel in front of it. I will figure out which one closer to that time though since that is still a few years away. That is the last on my list right now since its big money and I do not need it at the moment. Sorry about my rant back there I hate when people try to push their opinions as fact. Especially when he defended it so much and then said he ended up doing the axle swap anyway. Good deal or not if what you have works so great why change it just because you can cheap. I am sure there are other mods that money could have went towards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.