4X4 not engaging!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4X4 not engaging!!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
Lugen007

4X4 not engaging!!!

I go to put my 88YJ into 4X4 and its not working, i got stuck in like 4inches of ice the other day, you know how pathetic that is with a jeep!!! I put it into 4L and it goes into 2L....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? Please someone help me with this, i have no idea why its not engaging into 4x4

Lugen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
89 YJ

Its the vaccume to the fork thats on the axel. Unplug the vaccume line on the axel and when its running see if it has vaccume. If it does than dirt is plugging the plunger. It happened on a trail to me. Use a can of brake parts cleaner and a small toothpick to clean out the plunger. spray it out good and black goo will come out. Let it dry and rehook the line. If this doestn work check the 4 plug vaccume line on the transfer case and make sure its plugged in. follow all the vaccume lines to motor also and look for cracks. I put a hp head on mine so vaccume is a little lower than stock. I shift into 4wd and foll forward slowly and rev up motor a few times to make sure i have good vaccume. Seems to engage fine at about 1500 rpms but at idle it doesnt. Hope this helps.
89 YJ Islander, AC,PS, 10 inch lift, 32 BFG MT's, sway quick disconnect, rear track bar quick disconnect, 400 watt 12 speaker cd player for tunes,8000lb warn 8274 with 150 ft cable, and a high lift jack.. Lockers, 35's, webber carb and jacobs ignition comming soon.
89 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2002, 11:53 PM   #3
Tellico YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The previous post was probably correct. Check the plug at the vacuum pod located on the front axle. If it is loose, reattatch it. If this does not cure your problem, remove the plug and check for vacuum at the plug with the engine running, if weak vacuum or no vacuum, trace the vacuum lines. It is usually a cracked vacuum line that causes the problem (they dry rot and crack with age). Almost everyone that I have encountered had the vacuum leak underneath the battery box.
Tellico YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 08:10 AM   #4
Bob K

Although it can also be the vacuum motor on the axle, or the vacuum switch on the trans has failed. I've had to replace both.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:19 AM   #5
Mr. Mopar

The postings above me are probably right, but if they are not try this. Take off your diff shifter fork ( thats where your vacuum lines are going ) and see if you can move the fork back and forth in the housing. If not, take automatic transmission fluid and pour it in the vacuum line port, then take a vacuum line tester, put it on the vacuum line port and start to give it pressure. You should see the forks slide to one side. Then take automatic transmission fluid and put it in the other vacuum port, put the vacuum tester on it and give it pressure, and the forks should slide back. Keep doing this over and over until the fork slides back and forth with a couple pounds of pressure. The problem is the fork just simply gets seized and the automatic transmission fluid works it out.

p.s. Automatic transmission fluid is better than WD40 in every way
Unread 03-24-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
rodgersmc

Along the same lines, I've heard mention of a 4x4 light that comes on when you engage... I know I'm engaging 4 wheel drive, but I've never seen that light. I bought it used couple months back, has around 55k miles on it.

Do I just have a short, or did they not put the light on until a certain year?
32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
Bob K

You should have the light. The inidicator switch would be a little vacuum fitting just aside and below the battery.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 06:55 PM   #8
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

About a month ago my 4wd light just stopped working but my 4wd works just fine.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.