4x4 not engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 not engaging

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Canuck_Guy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 not engaging

Any help here is appriciated....

At about -10c my 4x4 will not engage... any temps above this everything works fine. I think this may be a cold weather leak in the vacuum line. I have not touched the vacuum at all and really know nothing about it... Does anyone know of any detailed write ups on how to replace these lines for the 4x4 system or what the remedy may be?

Canuck_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The best solution is to upgrade to the TJ shafts. That will completely eliminate the the vac disconect in the front axle. www.RingPinion.com have a whole kit for your jeep that includes fromt shafts, u joints, seals, block off plates, etc. e verything you need.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do a quick check at the vacuum connections on the axle shift motor... With the Jeep running in 2H- pull the rubber boot and feel if there is any vacuum from either hose. Shift to 4H and it should have vacuum from the other side. Could be weak vacuum, or busted diaphram in the shifter motor. $66 at Qtech for the shifter motor... $240 at the dealer

If it is not switching sides when you shift from 2H to 4H the switch in the transfer case could be bad ~$15.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just fixed mine... It was the vacuum motor - it was filled with rusty water. Prolly why it was not shifting in cold weather - frozen up !
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
Unread 02-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Canuck_Guy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a part number for the vac motor u replaced?
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look at item #18... p/n 52432 01
http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee.../axleYJ30F.php

2012 KK Black all stock.
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Butthead_74
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Canuck_Guy,

Just wandering if you replaced the vacuum motor and if that fixed your problem? I am having the same problem. Also, was your 4X4 light not coming on? I was in the snow yesterday and fronts weren't spinning and light wasn't coming on either.
Butthead_74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 posi-lok $200.00 eliminales the vacuum set up and utilizes a cable pull. Lots more reliable
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj
The best solution is to upgrade to the TJ shafts. That will completely eliminate the the vac disconect in the front axle. www.RingPinion.com have a whole kit for your jeep that includes fromt shafts, u joints, seals, block off plates, etc. e verything you need.

cant find it on their site, do you have a direct link?
04 LJ Unlimited Wrangler
never far from a good trail http://scott.arrington-family.us
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
72cj5er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Canuck_Guy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have not fixed it yet... I did check the vac lines and I and getting suction in 2wd and 4wd when the jeep is in m garage. It will stay in 4x4 if I engage it when in the garage then go out in the cold and the 4x4 light does come on, even if I turn off the jeep for a few hours while it remains in 4x4 and will not disengage which leads me to believe that the motor is freezing.
Unread 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
MissileTM

buy a posi-lok for about $175 from the offroad toy store. It will fix your problem for sure and also allow you to run in 2wd low and you can also unlock the front when in 4 low for easier turning if you have a locker in the front.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #12
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Apparently you can just take that motor off, move the collar so that it is always engaged. Then just remove the vacum lines and shift in and out of 4WD with out worring about the shift motor.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
nuper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

had no 4x4, no notification light either. traced the vacuum to the intake manifold, one of my vacuum hoses had cracked and come off its nipple on the top of the manifold. I replaced that short piece of tubing and fixed both problems.
nuper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.