4x4 Light Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 Light Question

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
dcrocky81
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 Light Question

I am new to the website but have been lurking for a while. I just bought a 89 YJ and am going through everything to verify condition and reliability. This YJ has the 4x4 posi-lock system installed and works great, the only issue is my 4x4 light is on all the time. I downloaded the posi-lock instructions and found the switch on the axle, one wire is grounded and the other heads up towards the battery and is connected to a factory black with a yellow stripe wire. Is this correct? I know that it needs to connect to the vacuum switch, I just don't know what I am looking for to know whether the wiring is correct or not. Any suggestions or pictures?

I have done some searching but cant find a good explanation for the vacuum switch and wire color that I should be spliced into.

dcrocky81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
stompjrkz400
1994 YJ Wrangler 

could just be a bad 4x4 switch, common problem, i believe its the vacuum switch on the t case
i would look for one of these little buggers

stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a tj switch available if you're not running vacuum actuation anymore. I'm looking to swap mine out so maybe someone has more info for the both of us.
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the pic posted above is a vacuum valve that, when the transfer case is shifted into 4h or 4l, sends vacuum to the front center axle disconnect (CAD). it has nothing to do with the 4x4 light. Since the posi lock was installed i think most likely you can assume the vacuum lines are shot, dry rotted, and cracked. Again following the black w/ orange stripe wire it should lead up on the passenger side fender / firewall and somewhere you should see a 2"x2" metal angle bracket bolted to the wall with a vacuum line going into to a vacuum switch and a wire coming out the other side. This should activate the light when the 4x4 is activated. It is not working correctly as the vacuum circuit is broken. Im sure there is a way to hardwire it to a switch. Here is some good reading and here are some YJ 4x4 vacuum diagrams
good luck
Shamrock84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Hocke230
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any photos of the vacuum switch? I'll be working on this tonight too.

As my 4x4 light is on and it wont engage
Hocke230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
4linkYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The yellow shou,d go to the 4x4 indacator switch on the firewall. Make sure your pulling good vacuum from the engine where the red line is connected,that goes to the transfer switch.
4linkYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Hocke230
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you say yellow are you referring to the indicator switch? I"m assuming that's where I need to look next
Hocke230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
4linkYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yellow vacuum line off the transfer vacuum switch goes to the dash indacator switch.
4linkYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Emolas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The Posi-Lok comes with an indicator switch that replaces the vacuum one. When I installed mine, I simply cut the wires on the vacuum indicator and spliced them to the new one from Posi-Lok. The 4x4 light is actuated from here so if your light is on then most likely your axle is engaged and you need to open it up and adjust the cable length.
Emolas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.