4x4 light doesn't come on - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 light doesn't come on

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Look at your front axle assembly. On the passenger side of the diff, you will see a vacuum actuator with two vacuum lines going to it (provided it has not been modified). That vacuum actuator slides a fork which in turn shifts a collar inside the axle tube to lock the two piece axle assembly together. You should also see an electrical plug coming off the side of that actuator assembly. When the shift occurs, a switch closes and the light comes on. Only one color of light. No different colors for 4 hi or 4 lo. If the axle has been converted to a solid axle then you will find a blank off plate where the actuator used to be.

bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The electric on the housing is only on the later models. I don't know the year they switched but '87-'89 has a separate vacuum switch for sure.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That switch is on the firewall on the older jeeps
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
That switch is on the firewall on the older jeeps
Exactly. I removed mine and it works. If OP needs it he can have it for shipping plus cash for a frosty beverage to keep me cool while I pack it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.