4x4 light doesn't come on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 light doesn't come on

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4x4 light doesn't come on

Just got myself a new YJ. Had an XJ before this. Noticed that the 4x4 lights don't come on to indicate part time or full time. It seems to go into both, but no lights. Not even sure where they would show up. Help!

Also, to engage 4x4 on the YJs, so I need to be rolling in neutral to slot it in?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It helps to be rolling slightly but its not necessary. Does your front axle pull in 4x4?
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What are you using to engauge the front axle? Is it stock, running solid axles, cable activated?
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The light is useless, If your 4x4 works id say your having a good day. If it doesnt work, lock the fork over and call it a day. You know when the 4x4 is working, you dont need a light to tell you that. coming from a previous XJ owner, sometimes this will be the least of your worries.
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...80/?highlight=
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With my XJ, all I had to do was pull a lever to the gearing I wanted and drive. Honestly, I don't know what I've got under there. It's all stock. And yes, I can know when I'm in 4x4, but I don't know if I'm in 4hi or 4lo. Compared to the XJ, it's very stiff and hard to find the right slot.
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm
With my XJ, all I had to do was pull a lever to the gearing I wanted and drive. Honestly, I don't know what I've got under there. It's all stock. And yes, I can know when I'm in 4x4, but I don't know if I'm in 4hi or 4lo. Compared to the XJ, it's very stiff and hard to find the right slot.
Lol that doesn't make much sense. You pull the lever back once, you're in high. You go past neutral and you're in low. You can tell the difference between high and low because high is just like driving every day where as low is very very slow. The light doesn't specify which you are in. Just that it's engaged in general.

Are you sure the bulb isn't burnt out?
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you positive that your in 4wd? If you cant notice the difference between hi and low then chances are, your actuator isnt locking it in and in turn not giving you the 4wd light.
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

High and low should be a difference whether its in 4wd or not
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Allow me to clarify: I JUST got a YJ haha. As in a few hours ago. So I haven't had a chance to get it on the trails. I just tried to throw it into 4x4 and noticed that the light didn't come on. Some one mention that there are two different lights for lo and hi. One red, one yellow. I have no idea, cause I've never seen it one. Again, I've owned it for a few hours, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the vehicle and the 4x4 system in the YJ.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the YJ! There is a single lamp, not two different colors although it would be neat it's also unnecessary. You would know the difference from low to high, you can walk next to the Jeep in low and would shift into 4th to cross an intersection.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar
Congrats on the YJ! There is a single lamp, not two different colors although it would be neat it's also unnecessary. You would know the difference from low to high, you can walk next to the Jeep in low and would shift into 4th to cross an intersection.
That's a good analogy lol.

It's the same as the XJ system if it didn't have a solid axle.

Edit: shaft*
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna sound like a major noob right now, but we all gotta do it once in awhile: Can I get a good explanation of of the difference between solid axles and non-solid axles?
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm
Gonna sound like a major noob right now, but we all gotta do it once in awhile: Can I get a good explanation of of the difference between solid axles and non-solid axles?
Sorry I edited my post to say shaft*. Our Jeeps have solid axles. But YJ's, some Cherokees and Comanches have a two piece axle shaft in the front axle. The vacuum system slides a collar over to lock the inner and outer shafts together. Creating resistance in the differential thus giving you four wheel drive.

Newer vehicles have independent suspensions meaning that one wheel can go up and down without effecting the other side. Our Jeeps, if one wheel goes up the other moves as well.

I apologize for getting that wrong but I hope I explained it well enough.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Just to further confuse a new owner, you can do a slight mod and be able to operate in 2-Hi, 4-HI, 2-Lo, and 4-Lo. Then it is handy for the 4WD light to work, esp in 4-lo vs 2-lo.

Mine is set up this way, and I can leave the transfer case locked in 4X4 and just use my electric lock switch to lock or unlock the front axle at any speed, all at the flick of a switch. And, the 4wd light tells me what the front axle is doing.

My next mod will be to have a true neutral in the transfer case.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.