4x4 Lever Stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 Lever Stuck

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

4x4 Lever Stuck

So last week, my XJ finally gave up the ghost. Fortunately, a YJ stepped in to fill the gap. I've spend the week fixing a few obvious problems - a botched clutch install, dry rotted tires, basic Idiotic Former Owner [IFO] stuff - but there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out: the 4x4 engagement lever doesn't move. My first thought is that there's something wrong with the transfer case or linkage, but I'm coming from a 92 XJ automatic to a 94 YJ manual, so I thought I should check my bases.

All I should need to do to change into 4H is pull the lever straight back, right? And I should be able to do it in neutral, or while in gear and driving, just like my XJ, yes? I don't need to, whatever, push a button or pull the lever upward or something?

Assuming I'm doing everything right, what's next? Look up between the TC and the tub to see if anything's in the linkage? Visually check over the function of the TC? Can I just unscrew the transmission access panel in the passenger compartment and look through there?

Thanks. I'm loving my YJ so far, but it sure would be nice to take it wheeling!

3278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3278 View Post
S the 4x4 engagement lever doesn't move. My first thought is that there's something wrong with the transfer case or linkage,

All I should need to do to change into 4H is pull the lever straight back, right? And I should be able to do it in neutral, or while in gear and driving, just like my XJ, yes?

Assuming I'm doing everything right, what's next?
you can see the linkage my simply going underneath. You should not have to pull up and push down on the lever at all. if you disconnect the linkage you should be able to shift the tab on the case by hand. it will be hard but possible to pull the tab toward yourself.

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Yeah, that's...definitely stuck. Inside the TC, as far as I can tell. So the only next step is getting the TC off and either replacing it or getting into it, yeah?
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3278 View Post
Yeah, that's...definitely stuck. Inside the TC, as far as I can tell. So the only next step is getting the TC off and either replacing it or getting into it, yeah?
I was not kidding when I said it would be tough to move. that being said... if you can disconnect the linkage and then move the t-case shifter freely... then yeh its stuck inside the case.

luckily its quick and easy to remove + not too heavy. drain, unbolt that sucker, disconnect the vac lines, pull the rear shaft, and pull it out. As jeep parts can go, t-cases are a dime a dozen and worth about 75 bucks.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

And, conveniently, I happen to have a 92 XJ 4.0 sitting right next to it, with a dead transmission, that I'm thinking about parting out anyway. They're both NP 231s, if I recall? And the TCs would be identical otherwise, yeah, even though one's a manual 2.5 YJ and one's an automatic 4.0 XJ?
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

You'll have to change the vacuum switch and the front driveshaft yoke(is that what it's called? the part that bolts onto the transfer case for the driveshaft to attach too....haha). That's different on the XJ. If you pull the one out of the XJ first you can count the splines, not sure but the one for the 4.0's may have the higher spline count....can't remember if it's 23....I'm sure somebody can chime in with more accurate numbers, I'm just going from memory

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.