Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4x4 indicator light after shift fork lock??

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  beachedjeepyj 
#1 ·
OK, after having issues with my CAD shift motor (and having bad luck with them in the past on other vehicles) I decided yesterday to permanently lock the fork/collar into the locked position. The mechanical part of the job went off without TOO much of a hitch - except one broken bolt, but the housing drilled/tapped surprisingly easy.

Anyway, now that the collar & fork are permanently in the locked position, the piston that the fork rides on is constantly pushing the plunger on the switch for the 4x4 indicator light, so the indicator light is on all the time when the key is on.

I'd LIKE to have a functioning 4x4 indicator light (I know... pull the bulb and just look at the T-case shifter, dummy!! :laugh: )

My last Jeep was an 87 XJ with the NP242, so I had no CAD, and the 4x4 light would come on when I pulled the T-case lever... but I don't know if it was mechanically or vacuum activated.

When I disassembled the shift mechanism, I just pulled off the vacuum connector, plugged it, and zip-tied it out of the way. Is there some sort of vacuum activated switch I could use to turn on (and off) the 4x4 dash light? Something I might be able to find at an auto parts store? I could use the vacuum lines I pulled off the shift motor to activate the switch (if such a switch exists)

Sorry for the long post... but I didn't take pictures, and wanted to give as much (probably more) info as needed.

See less See more
#2 ·
my 90 yj has some sort of vacuum switch that turns the light on. you could get this switch and run it inline with the lines going to the t-case. when you pull the stick for the t-case it moves the vacuum switch on the case. this will send vacuum to the switch for the light.

so then you will have a functioning dash light.

hope that is understandable. if i get time later i will try and pull up the vac schematic and tell you how to plumb the system to get it to work

#4 ·
For your "old style" vacuum operated switch that would be okay. He has no vacuum at all because he locked the CAD permanently. A simple switch swap & run the wires from the axle switch to the T-case is all that is needed.

Max :cheers2:

#3 ·
#10 ·
OK, after having issues with my CAD shift motor (and having bad luck with them in the past on other vehicles) I decided yesterday to permanently lock the fork/collar into the locked position. The mechanical part of the job went off without TOO much of a hitch - except one broken bolt, but the housing drilled/tapped surprisingly easy.

Anyway, now that the collar & fork are permanently in the locked position, the piston that the fork rides on is constantly pushing the plunger on the switch for the 4x4 indicator light, so the indicator light is on all the time when the key is on.

I'd LIKE to have a functioning 4x4 indicator light (I know... pull the bulb and just look at the T-case shifter, dummy!! :laugh: )

My last Jeep was an 87 XJ with the NP242, so I had no CAD, and the 4x4 light would come on when I pulled the T-case lever... but I don't know if it was mechanically or vacuum activated.

When I disassembled the shift mechanism, I just pulled off the vacuum connector, plugged it, and zip-tied it out of the way. Is there some sort of vacuum activated switch I could use to turn on (and off) the 4x4 dash light? Something I might be able to find at an auto parts store? I could use the vacuum lines I pulled off the shift motor to activate the switch (if such a switch exists)

Sorry for the long post... but I didn't take pictures, and wanted to give as much (probably more) info as needed.

Hey i was thinking of permanently locking the shift fork in position too but i have no idea how to do it or where the locked position is. How did you lock it in place and can you show picts. thanks!!:tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.