4x4 does not seem to work 92 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4x4 does not seem to work 92 YJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
rockjock29bc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4x4 does not seem to work 92 YJ

I have a 1992 Jeep YJ that I just bought used. It is Manual Transmission and has the 4cyl engine. When it snowed here the other day I popped it into 4 High to see how it worked. It felt like it was in 4x4 the revs changed on the engine and you could feel it shift into gear as if the transfer case was working no prob but my back tires would spin but not the front ones. Also there is no 4x4 indicator light that comes on in the dash but being it's my first Jeep I don't know if it has one. Anybody got some suggestions for me cause I'm lost. Thanks

rockjock29bc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, classic example of the faulty vacuum system! There are several "remedies" you could trouble shoot and fix what you have, install a posi-lock or cable like it, or do what I did and take the bolt out of the disconnect cover on the axle and slide the shift fork over and put a longer bolt in. That will hold the fork so the axle is connected and your four wheel drive will always work.
Unread 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
rockjock29bc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man I got ahold of the guy that sold it to me this morning and he said it does have a red light on the dash that should come on and that it did work. He said that it must be one of the Vacumme hoses that had come loose and to check it somehow under the passenger front tire. Any idea how to about this.
rockjock29bc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You just have to do some trouble shooting and check all the vacuum lines...the vacuum disconnect on our jeeps just sucks. I fought with mine for a while before I ditched it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.