4wd shifter problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd shifter problem

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4wd shifter problem

I have an 87 yj, 4.2 inline 6 5spd. I'm having trouble with my 4wd. Well, not trouble, but this question needs clarification. During normal driving, my 4wd shift lever shakes. It shakes like a regular shifter in neutral. Even easier than that. It wobbles with every bump that I hit. Ive also noticed that It's a REAL pain to pull into 4hi or 4lo. When I finally get it engaged, everything works like its supposed to, but the lever still wobbles. It's like a regular shifter when your transmission is on the verge of collapse. In every other 4wd vehicle I've ever used, the shifter is very sharp and precise. Easily slides into whatever position you want. What could be wrong with it? Is it just age? Transfer case/lube problems? Is my 4wd about to fall out?

nucleardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is an adjustment screw on the linkage that may need to be tightened.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
As said above, the shift linkage mounting bolts and the linkage adjustment bolt may need attention. Also check the transfer case shift lever, the one that the linkage rod attaches to. Make sure the nut is tight.

In my experience with my YJ, the shift linkaage is never smooth or precise. It is stiff and cranky. Compared to my Liberty the YJ's linkage feels crude. But once in gear it stays there. I think it is the nature of the beast. And the 4WD indicator is accurate.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4wd indicator is definitely accurate. she pulls a LOT harder when that light is on. I've gotten un-stuck quite a few times with that magical little light on my dash. I'll check out all the linkage as soon as I get home from work. Like my info says - big plans, small budget. but if my 4wd needs attention, it's one of the first areas that I'm going to tackle. Thanks for the advice. Anything else will still be appreciated and looked into.
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
wrongler87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yours has a light?? hmm, wonder why mine doesnt?? or doesnt work..... who knows...but it shifts just as rough as yours. the problem i have is getting into 4lo and back out.... like the shifter gets stuck in the gate. i have to get out and pull it into 4hi
wrongler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the problem with my shifter is the bold that is welded to the plate on the side of the trans broke off so i need to take it off and weld the bolt back on. it made a huge difference, i cant even get into 4lo anymore.
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

or maybe as Max suggested once, somebody previously removed the plate over the shifter....something else to check, but not likely your issue.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongler87 View Post
yours has a light??

yeah mine has a light of a chassis that comes on when i engage 4wd. I've seen other yj's with shift indicator arrows that come on when you're shifting through gears at certain rpms... I dont have that one. Wonder if its a year/engine/model specific option? no clue. It's just pesky when I'm kicking the 4wd shifter back into 2wd and the light stays on lol.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have that stupid shift indicator. I tell them it's my fancy GPS. A green left arrow tells me to turn left, a green right arrow tells me to turn right, and a fancy white arrow tells me to go straight when I ask. :P
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubewhiz View Post
I have that stupid shift indicator. I tell them it's my fancy GPS. A green left arrow tells me to turn left, a green right arrow tells me to turn right, and a fancy white arrow tells me to go straight when I ask. :P
rofl

OP mine is very lose as well. I have been meaning to fix it but it's gonna wait until Fall or some cooler weather. With this summer heat I am letting it be for now.

To make it easier shifting put the shifter all the way to the left to go from 2WD to 4WDH. Then go down and right for neutral. Then all the way right and down for 4WDL. Just like the diagram on the shift knob. When it's all lose it's hard to rememeber to shift it that way so it's seems like it's hard because it is, etc.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

I think given the worst of two evils, I would work in the heat, I hate bangin knuckles in freezin temps, lol.
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Shifting into 4hi and 4lo is no big deal... It's shifting OUT of them lol. it consists of me sitting in the jeep, pushing, pulling, prying, kicking, and punching the lever. The neighbor guy loves it. Of course, thats cuz he built his jeep up like a monster truck and has NEVER taken it off pavement haha
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubewhiz View Post
and a fancy white arrow tells me to go straight when I ask. :P
the very first YJ I drove - the upshift indicator was blue and the downshift indicator was orange
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleardave View Post
the very first YJ I drove - the upshift indicator was blue and the downshift indicator was orange
Downshift indicator?
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
I think given the worst of two evils, I would work in the heat, I hate bangin knuckles in freezin temps, lol.
100 of these...

ya once it gets cold here, if hte jeep breaks in December it stays broken till May...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.