4wd shifter attachment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd shifter attachment

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4wd shifter attachment

I may be using a lot of wrong terminology here cause I'm not too familiar with mechanic jargon but I'm working on it, so please bear with me.

I was riding off-road on some family property yesterday and I approached a small downed log that my wrangler couldn't crawl in 2wd so I went to put her in 4 (btw- this was my first time using 4wd on my jeep and I just would assume it would work fine). But it didn't work fine, it didn't go into 4wd at all and the 4wd shifter didn't feel right, I could move it into the different positions but it didn't feel like it locked in and would just freely move around.

Fast forward to today, I crawled under there to test my auto-common knowledge and found that the metal bar coming down from the shifter was not attached to the bar coming out of the transfer case (I'm assuming this is the majority, if not all of the problem I'm having)

...but the way they connected looked confusing the me for just and elbow shaped hinge. The male end on the metal bar coming down from the shifter wasn't threaded and had a rubber piece hugging the protrusion. How is this bar supposed to connect to the other bar. In other words, what pieces will I have to buy to re-attach these two bars?

Thanks so much,
Bluedaffy

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yup - that should be connected to the bar from the tcase.

Pop the plastic bushing off the hanging "L" shift rod and insert it into the lever on the tcase is the same orientation (swing the arm up to see which way it should go before popping it off the "L" arm.
Put a dab of oil on the protrusion on the "L" arm and pop it into the plastic bushing in the tcase lever.
I usually use a pair of Channle Locks to help push it in.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great, thanks so much. Should I be concerned about the bushing being damaged or faulty because it already came off once and will do it again? Or does this kind of thing happen from time to time?
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaffy View Post
Great, thanks so much. Should I be concerned about the bushing being damaged or faulty because it already came off once and will do it again? Or does this kind of thing happen from time to time?
The piece of rubber sticking out of the tcase shifter handle is called the shifter isolator. I just had to replace it in my YJ. If that piece of rubber isnt properly seated, it will allow the handle to pop off completely. There is a write up on how to permanently fix this problem. It does involve using a welder and such.

Pull your tcase shifter off and see if the metal clip is in there. You should see a 4 pronged clip between the actual handle and the rubber piece. The "teeth" of that metal clip grips the notches on the tcase's "straight" handle. On the side of the L shaped handle, you will see that the metal clip inside has two tabs that are supposed to lock the metal clip onto the handle.

Its a crummy design to start with.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
fishnic
1988 YJ Wrangler 

not to hijack the thread, but what is the shift pattern to go into 4 high and 4 lo? My shifter doesnt have the pattern on the knob, and straight back isnt working. (88 2.5L)
fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
jmmorgan82

Should be 2hi-4hi-n-4lo
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
jmmorgan82

And OP, not sure if this would help you or not, but here is a pic of the linkage I found online:

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , 4wd hardware , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.