4wd not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd not working

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Svyse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4wd not working

Ok so when i put my jeep the guy i bought it from told me the 4wd wasnt working, but the only reason was beacuse of a rubber hose that rotted out. If some can help me with this i would appreciate it thanks

Svyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Put the jeep in neutral, Turn it on (just let it run for all of this) and Put in 4WD. LEAVE IN NEUTRAL!!!! But with 4wd selected instead of 2wd.There are two small hoses "about shoelace width" that go to the 4wd actuator under the passenger side. The actuator is bolted to the axle. . Pull the hoses off (may have to break the zip ties that hold the little hoses on) and see if one is sucking by holding your fingure over it. Make note which hose is sucking. Then put in 2WD (but still in neutral) and see if the OTHER hose is sucking. When in 2wd one should suck and in 4wd the other should suck. They alternate sucking lol. If you have suction from both (alternately) then your vacuum system is fine. The actuator might need to be replaced OR just free up the gunk keeping it from moving (that's what I did). Let me know how it works out. if you need help just message me. <---- Literally!
ALPHA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The passenger side one sucks in 2WD and the drivers side one sucks in 4WD.

Vacuum diagram of the system.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Svyse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help ill try that today and let you know how it works out
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you figure it out yet? Is it the vacuum not working or something else (ie the actuator)
ALPHA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I need to get my 4WD fixed... the shift fork won't engage and there's absolutely no suction from anywhere
JDNightFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Svyse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i tried all that i have suction on 2wd but my transfer case isnt letting me put it in 4wd to try it out...so i dont know if i need to drop my transfer case and pull it apart or what
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have a brand new vacuum harness i will sell you it is in the box still
Brown6041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Svyse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i dont know if its the actually vacuum though the shifter wont let me engage it in 4wd do the hoses need to be put back on before i engage it in 4wd
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not sure exactly why it's not letting you move the selector. Are you auto or 5 speed? It may not move if you are in Park (not sure, haven't tried). If that isn't the case, look under the frame and see if the lever or mechanism is catching on something or if the linkage is catching somewhere. If you don't see anything, you may have to take off the floor cover and take a peek from the top. It could be something as simple as a small stone lodged in there somewhere.
If all looks good and still wont move, disconnect the linkage and see if it moves then. If it doesn't move, you need to take a closer look and see where it's catching at or if it's completely rusted stiff. If it moves, it's not the shifter (obviously, huh?).
Anyways, follow the linkage with your fingers and a flashlight and see where that bugger is catching. Hopefully you find where it might be binding or bent and you'll be able to fix it. If not, it has to be in the t-case. That's where I have to let you make your own decisions as I have never snooped at the internals of a t-case.

Dan
Unread 12-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Svyse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the help...when i get time this week i'll give it a closer look and let you know what i found

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.