4wd not engaging question...not vacuum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd not engaging question...not vacuum

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4wd not engaging question...not vacuum

so despite promising myself never to go in the mud again for about the 100th time, i drove into a mud hole only to realize my 4wd wasn't working. It's been on and off working since then. Checked over all vacuum lines and also pulled the actuator to see it WAS actuated. While in 4wd i made a slow tight circle to feel bump steer (always have used that as a way to check for 4wd working) and no bump steer, but the streets were wet.... so i jacked up the front and i can spin the drive shaft while the rear wheels are still on the ground.

shamefully I admit I know very LITTLE about transfer cases but I shouldn't be able to spin the front driveshaft independently from the rear, correct? so I'm where do i go from here? also, when i'm in neutral and coasing at about 5mph and pull it into 4hi there's a decent clunk..

I hope this makes sense, i'm studying for finals so my brain is fried

Unread 04-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Will it go into low?
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need some more information.

I assume you mean when you are coasting and pull the transfercase into gear you hear a bump. First, I wouldn't do that, but I like my gears in one piece.

What transfer case do you have? If it is one of the manuals, then I would think you shouldn't be able to spin the front drive shaft with the rears on the ground if the transfercase was in four wheel drive and the transmission was in gear.

By "bump steer" you mean that when you are on dry road and you turn real tight you feel the front wheels hop? Please tell me that is not what your mean. Again, I don't do that, something about liking my gears in one piece. Had a friend show me that is how he checked his 4X4 engagement... Only cost him a little over a grand to have his trasnfercase rebuilt. The bump you are feeling is the wheels pushing against the gears in the transfercase, if the wheels don't slip the gears break.
huntinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinguy
Need some more information.

I assume you mean when you are coasting and pull the transfercase into gear you hear a bump. First, I wouldn't do that, but I like my gears in one piece.

What transfer case do you have? If it is one of the manuals, then I would think you shouldn't be able to spin the front drive shaft with the rears on the ground if the transfercase was in four wheel drive and the transmission was in gear.

By "bump steer" you mean that when you are on dry road and you turn real tight you feel the front wheels hop? Please tell me that is not what your mean. Again, I don't do that, something about liking my gears in one piece. Had a friend show me that is how he checked his 4X4 engagement... Only cost him a little over a grand to have his trasnfercase rebuilt. The bump you are feeling is the wheels pushing against the gears in the transfercase, if the wheels don't slip the gears break.
You can engage 4hi up to something around 55mph. Low can be engaged doing less that 5mph if I remember correctly.

He probably has a 231. If he doesn't know much about cases I think the chances of it being different are slim. In 2hi you should be able to spin the driveshaft with the front wheels up. In 4hi, no. Again, if I remember correctly. Anti will correct me if I'm wrong. He always does.

The third part is true. No 4x4 on pavement. Nono.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes it goes into 4lo. everything is stock np231, and all stock d30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinguy View Post
By "bump steer" you mean that when you are on dry road and you turn real tight you feel the front wheels hop? Please tell me that is not what your mean
and oooh i feel dumb! that's not something i always do for fun haha so there's no way that's a cause...
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
You can engage 4hi up to something around 55mph. Low can be engaged doing less that 5mph if I remember correctly.
Thanks you!
In 2hi you should be able to spin the driveshaft with the front wheels up. In 4hi, no.
Yeah in tcase in 4hi, transmission in gear, front wheels up, back wheels on the ground, the front driveshaft spins free. where do i go from here?
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For me, the PO ran the t-case out of oil and it burnt up the mode fork so even though everything felt fine and it felt like it was going into gear, it wasn't fully engaging. I had low gear but no front drive. I took it apart and the chain and gears were perfectly fine but the forks were destroyed. I ended up buying a used one and rebuilding it and swapping it in
taylor797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr

Yeah in tcase in 4hi, transmission in gear, front wheels up, back wheels on the ground, the front driveshaft spins free. where do i go from here?
My opinion is the what the guy above me said. Bad fork/fork pads.
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well it looks like an sye is in the near future too then. I'm going to make sure the shift levers are still all tight and adjusted properly first, and then plan on pulling the tcase. I'll update the thread as well. thanks for the help and if there's any other ideas please chime in!
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

He probably has a 231. If he doesn't know much about cases I think the chances of it being different are slim. In 2hi you should be able to spin the driveshaft with the front wheels up. In 4hi, no. Again, if I remember correctly. Anti will correct me if I'm wrong. He always does.

The third part is true. No 4x4 on pavement. Nono.
I believe you are correct all around I have found that my Cherokee is very forgiving on the rolling shift as long as I don't coast in short I keep everything turning my wrangler is not quite as smooth I personally think it is the vacuum lock on the axle though

Hmm never thought about worn forks .. that is a good thought
huntinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The pads get lost on the forks sometimes. The great thing about a SYE install is it takes a reasonably old vehicle and gives a looksee at all the parts that could have broken in the single most important part of the 4wd system.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I found a good tcase from another yj a guy swapped a v8 into on CL for $150. so I'm going to pick that up and swap it in this weekend. Then I'll tear apart my current tcase slowly rebuild it with the new shift fork pads (that came in today) a new chain, an sye, and any other parts that seem worn. Boom.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr
I found a good tcase from another yj a guy swapped a v8 into on CL for $150. so I'm going to pick that up and swap it in this weekend. Then I'll tear apart my current tcase slowly rebuild it with the new shift fork pads (that came in today) a new chain, an sye, and any other parts that seem worn. Boom.
Good plan there. That's what I want to do with axles lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.