4wd light is always on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd light is always on

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #1
esterelyj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4wd light is always on

My 4wd light is always on. My 4wd system works just fine in all ranges including 2wd. When i put my headlights on the light goes out. Any ideas?

esterelyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's strange. Sounds like a grounding issue if it turns off with the headlights.

I think the consensus is that it doesn't really matter if your front axle doesn't disconnect, if that is the case. It just costs a bit extra gas mileage.

If you want to ensure your front axle is connecting/disconnecting, just get underneath and do the vacuum tests.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #3
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know for sure but this is what I would check if I were you. Your 4wd light is operated on a vacuum, if it is always on then your vacuum switch is hooked up wrong and is on a constant vacuum. Or you are always in 4wd. It is a small blue(or at least mine is blue) diaphragm looking thing that should be on your firewall by your battery box. I would check to see if it is always on a vacuum or not, if it is then the switch is probably not hooked up to your shift fork via the correct vacuum lines. The only other thing I would check is pulling your instrument cluster and clean it with some electric contact cleaner and make sure there is nothing shorting it out and it doesn't get enough power when your headlights are on.
silleYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #4
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it is electrical. Mine did that (oddly) when the pretty multicolored vacuum lines cracked. I found it went out when under full throttle which didn't make sense to me (low vacuum?!!) but I didn't care so I sealed the vac line and pulled the bulb. Probably didn't need to pull the bulb. Dunno. But it's not on anymore but I have a homemade posilock cable. If you are using the vac operated disconnect this won't work for you.

There are two kinds of 4x4 light switches: one is a vac switch (like mine) and the other is switched at the vacuum motor by a mechanical switch that depresses when the motor moves. Either way I think the switches merely ground the powered bulb to illuminate it: I think, not sure. So it could be a chafed wire, a stuck plunger switch, or a vacuum switch issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.