4wd light ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd light ?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-16-2001, 10:21 PM   #1
bigblueyj

4wd light ?

ok i know is a *** question that been beaten down so many times but what make it come on mine hasent been working ever since i got the jeep i know the buble is still good what is there ? thanks Eric

bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Rockwall

same thing happened to mine, it isn't worth the time, just ignore it. If you want to make shure your on 2x4 just try to spin you back wheels if they dint spinn your on 4x4 if they squeel your on 2x4
Rockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2001, 09:50 PM   #3
MKB

"spinning" your tires is by no means a way to check if your in 4WD. it's hard on your drive train... including clutch. A better way to test your 4WD engagement would be to shift in to 4WD, drive up and place your front tires against a curb. Then drive over it. You well be able to feel and see the difference of your front tires pulling you over the curb vs your rear pushing you over it.

As for your light.. it could be a disconnected/plugged vaccume line, bad4WD indicator light switch, or possible the control switch on the tcase.. also don't forget to check the 2 check valves.
Swaybar Disco's
2.5" Spring Lift w/1.25" HD Shackle
1" Body Lift
4.56 gears w/ Rear Detroit Gearless
31x10.5 Nankang Radial A/T
15 to 20 Gal tank conversion
Warn 9000LBS
Dual Batt and 150 Amp Alt
Home-made Front&Read bumpers
Hard & Soft tops
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2001, 12:56 PM   #4
JeepinGirlinFl

Does an 87 have this 4x4 light - if so, where should it be when it is on? I am doing what I can to fix all the little problems with my jeep. THis would be helpful
Thanks!
JeepinGirlinFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2001, 07:40 PM   #5
B2hi

I have a 87 and yes you have a light. It is almost dead center above steering wheel shaft.
Throttle body spacer
K+N air filter

Con-ferr shackles,R.E. 4.5 lift with 33x12.5 BFG Muds and 1in. body
B2hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2001, 07:54 PM   #6
-D-

It's pretty easy to tell if you're in 4WD when you have it in, the front end slips and jerks a little while it's pulling. Find a court, stick it in 4-low and drive in a circle. If you hear your front sliding a little, lurching around a little, and the steering feels a bit heavy then your 4wd works. If the bulb is still good for the light and it doesn't come on, it could be wires, fuses etc.
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 11:37 AM   #7
Corky

Ok, Blujay, I have become a somewhat expert in the 4X4 light problem since I posted right below you last week. I was able to fix mine. Here is how it works! There is a vacuum harness that goes from a switch on the transfer case to the vacuum actuator diaphram on the front axle. this harness which costs about $43 from jeep has several hookups. One of these hook-ups (red tubing) goes to the manifold vacuum from the motor. There is a blue hook up with a one way valve looking diaphram on the end of it. This is a vent. It hooks up to nothing. Then there is a black hose. This hose hooks up to a vacuum switch mounted next to your battery on the firewall. This switch converts vacuum into an electrical signal that in turn lights the 4X4 light on the dash. when you shift your transfer case into 4l or 4h, vacuum from the engine is routed to the front axle, and inturn is also routed to the switch on the firewall. Then the 4X4 light comes on. When you shift out of 4X4, the vacuum is removed, and the light goes off. The most likely problem you have is a rotten vacuum harness. Mine was crumbling, and I could not get straight answers from the Jeep dealer, so I had to figure it out on my own with help from various boards and a service manual. It could be as simple as the vacuum fitting is loose from the front axle. It takes about 15 minutes to install the vacuum harness. If you need a part number e-mail me and I will send it to you. Hope this helps!

Corky

P.S. a rotten harness will cause a vacuum leak and a rough running motor as well. smoothed mine right up!
Unread 10-12-2001, 11:38 AM   #8
Corky

Ok, Blujay, I have become a somewhat expert in the 4X4 light problem since I posted right below you last week. I was able to fix mine. Here is how it works! There is a vacuum harness that goes from a switch on the transfer case to the vacuum actuator diaphram on the front axle. this harness which costs about $43 from jeep has several hookups. One of these hook-ups (red tubing) goes to the manifold vacuum from the motor. There is a blue hook up with a one way valve looking diaphram on the end of it. This is a vent. It hooks up to nothing. Then there is a black hose. This hose hooks up to a vacuum switch mounted next to your battery on the firewall. This switch converts vacuum into an electrical signal that in turn lights the 4X4 light on the dash. when you shift your transfer case into 4l or 4h, vacuum from the engine is routed to the front axle, and inturn is also routed to the switch on the firewall. Then the 4X4 light comes on. When you shift out of 4X4, the vacuum is removed, and the light goes off. The most likely problem you have is a rotten vacuum harness. Mine was crumbling, and I could not get straight answers from the Jeep dealer, so I had to figure it out on my own with help from various boards and a service manual. It could be as simple as the vacuum fitting is loose from the front axle. It takes about 15 minutes to install the vacuum harness. If you need a part number e-mail me and I will send it to you. Hope this helps!

Corky

P.S. a rotten harness will cause a vacuum leak and a rough running motor as well. smoothed mine right up!
Unread 10-21-2001, 10:30 AM   #9
bigblueyj

hey coky i think i found my prob i looking and found the black hose doesnt go to anything it was just sitting there.
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.