4wd indicator light dana 30 conversion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd indicator light dana 30 conversion

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The part that activated the switch is a pretty thick piece of steel. I highly doubt the ball on the end of the sensor would wear this part.

This is the part, the curved top activated the switch as each mode is engaged :: http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/14272

Part 19 below:

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is the purpose of 4WD light.
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm like the OP, I love the look of the light when I engage the transfercase. I use the XJ switch because I enjoy having the working light... Need there be another reason?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The dielectric grease worked for me

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...stall-1492980/
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer45 View Post
So I converted my dana 30 to a solid axle (the cheap spring in housing way). The problem I'm having now is I can't get the 4wd indicator to work. I spliced on a new connector and put a 97 wrangler sensor in the np231 transfer case. It worked like three times then stopped. While it worked it was unpredictable at best. So I disconnected the connector and made a jumper to make sure my soldered connections were good... Light came on. But when I put it back together, nothing. The switch that was recommended (dorman brand) from the 97 had a short looking button compared to the stock pneumatic switch (is that normal?). So that being said my questions are, could there be something in the transfer case that is warn that could prevent the button from being pushed? Has anyone else done this conversion successfully? Is the 97 np231 any different in regards to the switch? Please I'd like to hear from people that have successfully done this. Ps the pneumatic system was also iffy and when I added my lift kit with the skid plate spacer it went from iffy to nothing. Could the lift be causing my problems?
Here is a pic of the OEM next to the doorman. I had the same problem put the OEM switch in and fixed
picture-20002.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you do not want to mess with the TC switch, just install a couple micro switches on the shifter assy for the TC. $10 in parts and a little wire and you are GTG.
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue with the dorman TC switch as well, it was junk and the little roller ball in it is smaller than any other brands. Buy a diff brand of switch and ur problem is solved.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
The part that activated the switch is a pretty thick piece of steel. I highly doubt the ball on the end of the sensor would wear this part.

This is the part, the curved top activated the switch as each mode is engaged :: http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/14272

Part 19 below:
YEA! This is the kind of answer I was looking for! Thanks Apollo. This schematic was helpful but your knowledge on the parts and how they go together is priceless. This is why I love forums like this. Thanks again.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Get a toggle switch; Shift transfer case into 4 wheel drive, flip switch to illuminate the 4X4 light, problem solved.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Here is a pic of the OEM next to the doorman. I had the same problem put the OEM switch in and fixed
Thus is great info. I think thus us my problem. I'll be replacing the dorman switch tomorrow to see if that helps. Thanks again.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.