4wd indicator light dana 30 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd indicator light dana 30 conversion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

4wd indicator light dana 30 conversion

So I converted my dana 30 to a solid axle (the cheap spring in housing way). The problem I'm having now is I can't get the 4wd indicator to work. I spliced on a new connector and put a 97 wrangler sensor in the np231 transfer case. It worked like three times then stopped. While it worked it was unpredictable at best. So I disconnected the connector and made a jumper to make sure my soldered connections were good... Light came on. But when I put it back together, nothing. The switch that was recommended (dorman brand) from the 97 had a short looking button compared to the stock pneumatic switch (is that normal?). So that being said my questions are, could there be something in the transfer case that is warn that could prevent the button from being pushed? Has anyone else done this conversion successfully? Is the 97 np231 any different in regards to the switch? Please I'd like to hear from people that have successfully done this. Ps the pneumatic system was also iffy and when I added my lift kit with the skid plate spacer it went from iffy to nothing. Could the lift be causing my problems?

Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

oops

Last edited by YJ4LIFE; 11-02-2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: ive been at work too long
YJ4LIFE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Uh... Not exactly the response I was looking for. I don't think the lift caused the problem. It seemed to have similar problems before I put the lift on. Idk how the inside of the np231 t-case works but I can imagine that there could be some parts that could wear and cause these issues?
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Try a little dielectric grease.
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you have solid axle D30, there is no need for a light. If you want a light to tell you you have shifted the transfer case lever to 4 Hi or 4 Lo, just get a vac switch like used on the 88 - 90 YJs, and hook up the output from the transfer case vac switch directly to the light switch.

Really, the only reason for the dash light was to inform on if the front axle is locked or not.
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have always wondered why people get concerned with 4WD lights. Whenever any of my 4x4s weren't engaged when I threw the transfer case lever it was pretty obvious that it wasn't "in"...
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure
I have always wondered why people get concerned with 4WD lights. Whenever any of my 4x4s weren't engaged when I threw the transfer case lever it was pretty obvious that it wasn't "in"...
People like them. I like my lights. Just how it is.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
People like them. I like my lights. Just how it is.
And to me an electrical system and battery is optional equipment. Give me a magneto based ignition and get out of my way.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
If you have solid axle D30, there is no need for a light. If you want a light to tell you you have shifted the transfer case lever to 4 Hi or 4 Lo, just get a vac switch like used on the 88 - 90 YJs, and hook up the output from the transfer case vac switch directly to the light switch.

Really, the only reason for the dash light was to inform on if the front axle is locked or not.
The reason I want the light working is to keep the jeep as original as possible. It makes me feel good, what can I say. As for the pneumatic switch in the 87-90 wranglers, it last the same as the 91-95. The problem is the pneumatics that control the locking axle are a flaw IMO and I need a reliable jeep. The solid axle in the front end is the way to go but I want my indicator to work.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Try a little dielectric grease.
Not a bad suggestion. My concern is that it will just arc itself to death. If it doesn't have a good connection before the dielectric grease it won't have the kind of connection that doesn't arc. I appreciate the suggestion though.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The light is useless. IMO if you need a light to tell you that you are in 4wd and can not tell by the position of the 4wd lever you are an idiot. Hell you even tell by how the vehicle handles wether its in 2wd or 4wd
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer45 View Post
So I converted my dana 30 to a solid axle (the cheap spring in housing way). The problem I'm having now is I can't get the 4wd indicator to work. I spliced on a new connector and put a 97 wrangler sensor in the np231 transfer case. It worked like three times then stopped. While it worked it was unpredictable at best. So I disconnected the connector and made a jumper to make sure my soldered connections were good... Light came on. But when I put it back together, nothing. The switch that was recommended (dorman brand) from the 97 had a short looking button compared to the stock pneumatic switch (is that normal?). So that being said my questions are, could there be something in the transfer case that is warn that could prevent the button from being pushed? Has anyone else done this conversion successfully? Is the 97 np231 any different in regards to the switch? Please I'd like to hear from people that have successfully done this. Ps the pneumatic system was also iffy and when I added my lift kit with the skid plate spacer it went from iffy to nothing. Could the lift be causing my problems?
Not sure about the TJ switch. When I did my TJ shaft conversion I went to the pull a part and pulled a couple switches out of mid 90s XJs with the 231 TC, along with the connector. Cut my stock connector off and spliced in the XJ connector. My 4x4 light has worked fine. The XJ switch was also shorter than the YJ switch but did not have any effect on 4x4 light. Could be a bad switch or short in the wiring if it works intermittently .
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
The light is useless. IMO if you need a light to tell you that you are in 4wd and can not tell by the position of the 4wd lever you are an idiot. Hell you even tell by how the vehicle handles wether its in 2wd or 4wd
Guess you didn't read the post. I like the original things to work. Things like the indicator. You're right it's easy to tell if the vehicle I'd in 4wd, but thus time around I bought an automatic so my wife can drive it and it's a good idea for people like her to have it working. She CANT tell its in 4wd. Not saying it is just for her as I said I like things to be as original as possible. My jeep is rare (93 w/ auto trans and air conditioning stock) and I'd like to keep things original
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post
Not sure about the TJ switch. When I did my TJ shaft conversion I went to the pull a part and pulled a couple switches out of mid 90s XJs with the 231 TC, along with the connector. Cut my stock connector off and spliced in the XJ connector. My 4x4 light has worked fine. The XJ switch was also shorter than the YJ switch but did not have any effect on 4x4 light. Could be a bad switch or short in the wiring if it works intermittently .
Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that the switches are shorter right from the factory. Maybe I'll have to have someone shift the t-case while I go a continuity test. Hopefully it's just a bad switch.
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone know enough about these transfer cases to know if there is an internal part that could be warn and causing problems?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.