4inch suspension with a 2inch body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4inch suspension with a 2inch body lift

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
blackedout89

4inch suspension with a 2inch body lift

Hey i've never posted before, just been more of a lurker, but have been doing some research and wanted a few opinions. I want to put 35inch tires on my 89 yj and was wondering if i did a 4inch suspension lift and a 2inch body lift, would they clear? Any suggestions would be great, thanks, Justin.

blackedout89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's 6", so I think you might have some rubbing issues when flexing. I have a 2-1/2 suspension lift, 1-1/2" shackles (UGH!) and a 1" body lift. That's 5" and I can rub my 33's pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, Welcome to the board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
jeepercreeper77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

welcome to the forum. my set up so far has worked out for me pretty good.i haven't had any rubbing issues yet.i'm planing on putting on tube fenders soon.i tought about a 4"lift and was definetly going with bds but for the money i figured i might as well get the 5" lift. give it some thoght as to what your going to do and try to stay away from going cheap on stuff. you only want to buy it once.i'm sure if you've been looking around in here you understand what i mean.
90 wrangler,4.2l,1" MML,CRT HEI Dist.,34/34(interco) weber, hurst shftr,5spd,5" BDS lft,f-d30/r-8.8,5/8 lft booms,1" bl,tflex belly up,JB convs. SYE,gdyr mtr35s,hurc'ed,smit src frt bump,gen-r rear bump w/tire carrier,f&r tube fenders,psc knokrs,r gen-rgt ful conr gurds,duel bat.,BIC,m8000
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just went with a 2" body lift, 4" Rough Country suspension, and 1 1/4" Rough Country boomerangs and I think that the 35" Boggers are gonna clear easily. I got all that for $670 shipped too.
Cbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Let's look at it realistically, from a Jeepers point of view, and you know how we can never stop tinkering with our rigs.
Firstly, it's nice that you aren't considering a 3" body lift with your suspension. That shows that you have at least been paying attention to what the veterans on here have been trying to say. But of course, and you already know this, a 1"BL would be the better bet, never-the-less...
Secondsly, since you mention a 4" lift and body lift instead of say... a 6" RE kit, is it safe to assume you are thinking about Rough Country to save on some dough and hoping that you can get by with just the t-case drop and shims instead of going with a full-on SYE kit? If that's the case, then I can understand, if not, then maybe you should look into a higher SUA kit.
Thirdly, we all know this is true too, when you install new springs, you almost always want to get new shackles as well. And boomerang shackles always seem to fit the bill as a complimentary suspension component. Well, they offer you anywhere between 1/2" to 3/4" of additional lift.
Now let's look at it. Suspension lift, plus body lift, plus shackles = damn near 7" of lift. That's alot of lift and not only have you replaced worn body mounts and worn springs, but you got some new shackles and bushings to boot.
You could shoe-horn some 35's in there, just get some extended bump stops. They will prevent you from smashing that wheel too far up into the fender, at the expense of some flex.
But you know, a set of TJ flares can be had for about $50 from Craigslist. I picked up some not long ago and got brand new marker lenses for them. I didn't like them so I never installed them. But if you picked some up, that would allow you to cut the sheet metal out of the way to make room for all that extra meat!
Now... 4" suspension lift, plus 2" body lift, plus shackles, AND TJ flares with the excess sheet metal removed, now that will allow those big ol' tires to move around in there and you'll likely not have any need for the bump stops.

I'm saying all this with the assumption that you plan on taking this thing off road. If you don't have those plans and just want a tough looking jeep (and I've said this before - there's nothing inately wrong with that) then you will definately not have any problems that I can see with tire rub.

Just my two pennies there bubba.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Put on a RC 4" lift and a 2" body about 3 months ago which is all I wanted, but anything more than 33s and your going to be rubbing. Because mine is fine but you can get the 33s to touch if you get wild enough. I put a set of TJ fender flares on mine and gave me a lot more clearance for tires. Here is a picture before I put the TJ flares on this will show you how high it will be with just 33s and if I went to larger tires I dont know if I could get in without busting my Rear, or a ladder to help. See the clearance on YJ flares. Attachment 54259
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!

Last edited by clarkjdg; 11-08-2008 at 04:52 PM..
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
blackedout89

First, i'd like to thank you guys for all the welcomes. Second, i appreciate all the good responses. And, to Brandon YJ, yes you assumed correctly with the roughcountry, and money saving haha. I'm basically going for more of the look, then functionality, because of the fact i live on an island where there are no mountains or rough terrain. The only off-road use this machine sees is some beach cruising. I was just wondering about the shackle lift. A local truck shop (the truck spot) claimed that the shackle lifts made the jeep wobble alot more and made it "float" on the high way, how true is this? Thanks again, Justin.
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

shackle lifts in excess of 1'' are typically shunned on this forum. many have had adverse effects from using shackles any larger than this. your best bet on shackles would be a set of 5/8'' boomerang shackles...they are good for your springs too, they help prevent shackle kick-back

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a picture of the more clearance with TJ flares mine were used from a guy that went the big ones. Attachment 54261
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!

Last edited by clarkjdg; 11-08-2008 at 04:52 PM..
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A majority of us have extended shackles on our Jeeps, me included.
Stay below 1" and you shouldn't have any issues. 1/2" to 3/4" and you will probably notice improvements over stock than hinderances.
Some people refer to the taller shackles as "lift" shackles so that truck place probably thought you meant anything 1" or taller when you were speaking to them.
Since it is more for looks than performance off road, then I'd not hesitate to say get some shackles with your suspension lift from Rough Country (yes, RC sells lift shackles, not sure the sizes though, and they are inexpensive) and your body lift and you should be golden. Just keep an eye on things as the springs start to settle in.
One other thing you can do, assuming you haven't purchased the tires/wheels already, is to get the widest wheel that will work with your setup. This allows the tire to fatten out, and in order for it to fatten out it sits slightly lower. Not alot granted, but it's just something to consider.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, don't be so incommunicado around here.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yea throw some tj flares on there. They look good and you can get about an inch more clearance. It also depends on what you wheel, if you have tons of whoop de doos then yea you will rub on anything if it's wild enough.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
blackedout89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Oh, and welcome to the forum, don't be so incommunicado around here.
haha i'll try not to, but i'll leave all the tech stuff to those more knowledgeable then myself. Thanks again for all the help, i'll go for it and if it dosen't work out i'll just cry a little bit and buy some 33's, haha.

Oh, and to clarkjdg, lovin' your set up, i was going to go with 33's originally, but when i saw my buddies with 35's i fell in love. haha.
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

35" tires are a major step up... Definitely have to worry about the tires rubbing, but also need to strongly consider a regear to 4.56 + an axle upgrade D44 or Ford 8.8 etc = $$$$.

At that point the cost of the lift is just a fraction of the total project cost. I was totally gung ho to do 35" tires until I started adding up the costs.

Not saying don't do it... just approach it realistically with your eyes open.
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #15
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539998

great example of what you're thinking of doing, and of what most of the members are suggesting. he put in an 8.8, though to run the 35's. plus this is one of my favorite yj's on here.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.