4cyl. that bad???? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl. that bad????

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #61
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_

I did most of those mods to my 2.5L (not the injectors) plus K/N air filter (not cold air kit) and there wasn't any noticable difference. That's why I have a 4.0 swapped in there now (less negative for you).
That's better

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #62
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Keep in mind those are YOUR experiences, not everybodies experiences.

And you probably didn't have a 2.5L with less than 100,000k miles on it.
My 92 I bought in 99, it had 70,000. My 95 I bought in 2000 with 40,000.

Quote:
Seriously, your negativity is annoying most of us.
You have group discussions to make you feel better and to discuss who doesn't like me? If I annoy you put me on your ignore list. Easy as pie.

Quote:
Just swapping in a 4.0L because "it's easier" isn't practical for some of us that can't afford it, and only use the Jeep for a DD, and occasional wheeling.
So that gives you a reason to talk a guy with no Jeep knowledge into buying an inferior engine when he can wait and do it right the first time? Waiting for a 4.0L to come around in his price range (if it's not already) is a far cry from a stretch.

FYI I made money swapping mine out of a totaled wrangler with rear end damage after selling my 2.5 stuff and parting it out.

Quote:
Why ditch a very solid engine for a different one that's going to require a lot of headscratching, re-wiring, re-location of motor mounts, and for those of us in a smog state, the headaches of having to go through the process of getting the swap legalized?
I blew one up... So sell it, spend the money and get a 4.0 Wrangler instead of doing the swap. Since when did I try telling you to swap your motor? Keep it if your happy, but don't push it on a newb like it's a great motor. There are far more people that dislike it than like it. Who would rather have a 2.5 than a 4.0.....

Quote:
The 2.5L mods won't cost you more than $150 if you buy from eBay or the local junkyards, and pretty much every 2.5L owner (except you) agrees that the upgrades are worth it, even if it just improves acceleration.
No they don't.

Quote:
Swapi in a better exhaust system and that completes everything for better power and performance, even out of a humble 2.5L engine from the late 80's, early 90's.
2.5's still suck in my book, and I'll continue to say it every time a thread pops up with someone asking if they should get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #63
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One thing about the 2.5 though is you don't see half as many threads about problems with it as you do the 4.0 or 4.2. It's a very reliable engine, just not very peppy
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #64
Kreepsta
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm at 190k Miles on my 4cyl in a 94 YJ on 31's.

1 Inch body lift,
1 Inch Boom Shackles.

It takes a good 5 minutes to get it up to 60mph's on the freeway
Kreepsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #65
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
One thing about the 2.5 though is you don't see half as many threads about problems with it as you do the 4.0 or 4.2. It's a very reliable engine, just not very peppy
I have not had very many issues with either besided blowing my first 2.5L. I was an *** hat driver then though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #66
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
Ben,

You've heard about all there is to know that's positive about a 4cyl Jeep.

Here's the negative: You will begin to like driving your Jeep...everywhere.
There will be a day in your future when you are trying to get moving with traffic and you will think "I shoulda got that 6cyl Jeep - this 4 banger just aint cuttin it."

I have owned many 4cyl vehicles and driven 4cyl YJ's.
The 4 angry squirrels just aren't enough to push that brick through the wind.
Save your time and money - get a 4.0l 6cyl Jeep.
Move from squirrels to woodchucks!

I have to agree with this, I've driven my 4-banger for over 4 years now and everytime I hit a headwind on the highway with the roof off it makes me SOOOOOO much happier I have a 4.0 w/ 4.56's on the way. Or if you're on a 2-way highway stuck behind Mr.Magoo and there aren't any openings larger than a couple miles
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #67
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Something is seriously wrong with your 4 cylinder Jeeps if you can barely manage the slow lane on the freeway. I manage to EASILY cruise at 70mph on the speedo, can do 75 if I wanted to, and I max out somewhere in the mid 80's- with 31's or 29's.

Going up freeway hills isn't an issue either, and yes there is power to spare to move quickly if I need to. I also manage to keep it in 5th most of the time!

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #68
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd personally never buy a 4 cylinder. My 4.0 has 232K on it and it still trucks along pretty good, even with 37's and 4.10.... (soon to have 5.13's). Just my $0.02.
p.s. I didn't read the hole thread.. just felt like I needed to put some time into the forum since my questions have always been answered, even if I forget I posted them and never read the replies (and buy a $300 flex-a-lite fan for nothing).
t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #69
Redlightracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes we have a 4 banger !!! LOL Like I said my last build was a 95 5.0 supercharged 430 rwhp Mustang that we dumped over $25,000 in to make it look as good as it was fast! (Not bragging the worst mistake of my life , could not sell it so we traded a guy for a boat that is worth about $15,000 today! You do the math and , yes I lost my ***!) On thing I did learn was that no matter how fast the car I had , It did not make some thing BIGGER! LOL JOKE!!!! So i dont mind the 4 banger that every one trashes on here. It is our weekend car to the beach or to the boat and bumming around town! It is our first jeep and love it !!! One thing the Wife said was we can make it nice but not TO nice Like the Mustang !!!! LOL

Always Remember there is someone out there that would love to have a JEEP not matter how tall or what motor it has. So CANT WE ALL GET ALONG? Jeep people wave at other jeeps on the road b/c we are a FAMILY !!!
Buy what your wallet can afford and what makes you happy!

Ok Lets go to the bar first round is on ME !!!!
Redlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #70
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4cyl do not belong in a Jeep.

There is absolutly no benifit of having a 4cyl in a Jeep.
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #71
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've not owned the 6 cyl version and yes my jeeps no dragster. But I'm just as happy to put along wearing my mud proudly for everyone too see

I don't advise people either way, I've given up trying to be the tallest, fastest, most powerful , greatest articulation ect. I'll never have the budget or time to be a contender so if your like me just try to enjoy what little slice of heaven you have.
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #72
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
4cyl do not belong in a Jeep.

There is absolutly no benifit of having a 4cyl in a Jeep.
SLADE,
Did you know that the original Jeep from WWII had 4 cyls?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #73
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I've not owned the 6 cyl version and yes my jeeps no dragster. But I'm just as happy to put along wearing my mud proudly for everyone too see

I don't advise people either way, I've given up trying to be the tallest, fastest, most powerful , greatest articulation ect. I'll never have the budget or time to be a contender so if your like me just try to enjoy what little slice of heaven you have.
I believe that is what they call "growing up". I have a 4-banger right now, but I just advised a new guy in GD to get a 6-cyl because he needs to haul trailers.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #74
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you decide to buy it? Any links or pics of it?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #75
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

$ Banger

a

Last edited by Siva283; 08-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Double post
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.