4cyl. that bad???? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl. that bad????

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #46
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
So far, its 286 miles since the last fillup. I didn't buy the jeep for the power, and it doesn't matter what engine they put in em. I actually *can* hold 60 MPH in 5th. The only time I down shift is for long hills.
I find that hard to believe, especially on 32's with stock gearing.

Quote:
So I gotta wonder what the heck happened to you that yer so down on the 2.5?
It's a dog of a motor and give zero benefits over the 4.0L. I have issues with it's on road drivability and had issues turning the tires in situations offroad because of its lack of power and being able to properly gear it without a complete axle swap f/r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #47
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2.5L with 4in lift and 33s and on the road I have no complaints. Even on the highway I get up to 70mph but once you hit an incline you will notice the lack of power. I love my 2.5L but wouldnt mind a 4.0, heck who would say no to more power.

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieben1 View Post
hi fellas, im thinking of picking up a 95 wrangler s. its bone stock. im wanting to use it for the weekend very mild trail. i wanna put a small lift and install some black wheels i have with bfg 31/10.50/15's. i live in vegas so its all sand and some small rocky trails. nothing wild at all. ive been reading posts about the 4 cylinder. are they really that bad or are members here going on viscious trails where alot of power is needed. is the 4 cylinder pretty capable for a newbie? what 4 cylinder jeeps do other members have? whats the lift , the biggest tire size you can use, and maybe some photos of your jeep, and of the places you wheel with your 4 banger. i know people will get on here and say to get a bigger motor, but this is whats available at a very good price. id like to know what people are doing with their little motors and how much trouble you can get into on the trail and still make it out. any help is useful, so thank you in advance
Around here, newbies will pay as much for a 2.5L as a 4.0L will sell for. There is a World of difference in the fair market value of the two engines... If you pay the 2.5L price, you will at least pay the correct price for what you are getting. I personally, would walk away from a 4 cylinder everytime.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #49
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ill agree that if youre thinking of getting the 4 banger for better mpg dont. but i must disagree in that i have 33s with stock gearing and i hold 5th gear on the highway going atleast 65mph...65mph might not be fast but i dont get where people say 5th gear is useless with 33s or bigger
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #50
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

Try to find a 4.0, I liked my Wrangler but hated the lack of power. I would not have traded it off had it been a 4.0.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #51
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 4 cylinder is plenty to boot and scoot around town. Even with 31" tires and stock gearing I could cruise at 70mph (don't forget your speedometer is off with larger tires6) very easily on the freeway. People take it for granted sometimes about it not having power.

With the few mods out there, you can really wake it up and see more power. The 4.0 throttle body, a 19lb injector, electric fan, throttle body spacer, grinding out the intake to match the bigger throttle body and maybe one of those bolt on magnaflow or flowmaster mufflers. Should get you up to about 30hp (UP to on a good engine).

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #52
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
With the few mods out there, you can really wake it up and see more power. The 4.0 throttle body, a 19lb injector, electric fan, throttle body spacer, grinding out the intake to match the bigger throttle body and maybe one of those bolt on magnaflow or flowmaster mufflers. Should get you up to about 30hp (UP to on a good engine).
Or you can get 4.0 and not waste your time on pointless engine mods that don't give you 30 horse power and spend the money on something else.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #53
tucanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post

x2 plus with the added drag of lights and a cargo rack
I have never gotten far over 200 on a tank in the year I've owned mine. and it was stock for a few short months. I live near sea level and everything is flat, plus I mix a good bit of 70 mph interstate in my daily commute.
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #54
tucanbob

to the OP, weekend toy = 4 cyl will be fine. even with 33s and 4.10
I drive mine (its a TJ) everyday and the only time I dislike the lake of power is when I'm forced to run the a/c. it really drains throttle response.
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #55
lax22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive owned two and loved them both. For weekend and second vehicles they are worth it. I would buy another but i also have an 04 LJ.
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #56
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It's a dog of a motor and give zero benefits over the 4.0L. I have issues with it's on road drivability and had issues turning the tires in situations offroad because of its lack of power and being able to properly gear it without a complete axle swap f/r.
Well, let's put it this way.

I don't mind the 4.2 and I don't mind the 4.0. My old cherokee had one, its just too bad they put a BA10/5 with it. But I have zero plans to mod my YJ, ever. It does exactly what I need and want, for my area and weather. If I get a 4.0 then I'm gonna buy a whole nother Jeep, prolly another XJ.

What the OP was saying was like he doesn't need to DD it and he just wants light trails every now and then - and I think the 2.5 is fine for that.

Far as the MPG's go, its not too hard. The PO really cared for it - my younger brother was the PO. He started having kids, so he sold the YJ to me and got a mini van. I put a real good tune-up, it needs nothing. And its mostly flatter than a pancake around here. Tires are 31's BTW.

Me, I do need to DD mine - its the only vehicle I have so I can't get too crazy with the mods. I need dead-nuts reliable thru the most crazy weather year round. So speed isn't so much an issue compared to just getting there. Lots oftimes I was the only guy who showed up for work cuz of the snow, snow is when I do most of my 4X4.

It's not a "toy" truck or a weekend thing for me. It's a working DD truck. I can't afford to go breaking stuff and modding and pushing it. But sometimes I help my buddy on his farm, pulling logs and rocks out with it.

So whatever a guy wants to do with his money and his rig I guess.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #57
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or you can get 4.0 and not waste your time on pointless engine mods that don't give you 30 horse power and spend the money on something else.
you have to be one of the most negative people ive seen in the yj section. although you do contribute some good info, you are very negative towards people who disagree with anything you say
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #58
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
you have to be one of the most negative people ive seen in the yj section. although you do contribute some good info, you are very negative towards people who disagree with anything you say
I did most of those mods to my 2.5L (not the injectors) plus K/N air filter (not cold air kit) and there wasn't any noticable difference. That's why I have a 4.0 swapped in there now (less negative for you).

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #59
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just throw this out here to fuel the fires... (I generally hate my 2.5 motor as a DD, but as a weekend toy, I think it's fine - NOT GREAT!)

Last weekend I got 262 miles on the tank, filled it with 17.6gallons.
I've got 4.88's and 33's which puts overall gearing very close to stock (speedo - odo accuracy).

That's 14.8MPG with a major manifold gasket leak and exhaust leak before the O2.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #60
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did most of those mods to my 2.5L (not the injectors) plus K/N air filter (not cold air kit) and there wasn't any noticable difference. That's why I have a 4.0 swapped in there now (less negative for you).
Keep in mind those are YOUR experiences, not everybodies experiences.

And you probably didn't have a 2.5L with less than 100,000k miles on it. Seriously, your negativity is annoying most of us. Just swapping in a 4.0L because "it's easier" isn't practical for some of us that can't afford it, and only use the Jeep for a DD, and occasional wheeling. Why ditch a very solid engine for a different one that's going to require a lot of headscratching, re-wiring, re-location of motor mounts, and for those of us in a smog state, the headaches of having to go through the process of getting the swap legalized? The 2.5L mods won't cost you more than $150 if you buy from eBay or the local junkyards, and pretty much every 2.5L owner (except you) agrees that the upgrades are worth it, even if it just improves acceleration. Swapi in a better exhaust system and that completes everything for better power and performance, even out of a humble 2.5L engine from the late 80's, early 90's.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.