4cyl. that bad???? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4cyl. that bad????

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #31
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thats sexy.

Ive been wanting to take mine to the beach but dread the ride lol

bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #32
bennieben1
1995 ZJ 

nice pic eabiker! you too redlightracer! what size lifts do your jeeps have? what size tires are on yours redlightracer?

1995 jeep grand cherokee...5.2 liter...2 inch spacers...33x12.50x15 mud tires...i need smaller tires, these muds ride too rough
bennieben1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #33
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2" bodylift, and now, new OEM rear springs, thanks to the drunk guy that totalled his car into the back of my parked Jeep!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
TellicoTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4 squirrels and a auto and mine is fine with 32x11s on the highway and interstate. It has its days where its a tad week though. It hates hill climbs on the trails but crawlin is another story. Makes it seem like a walk in the park.
2.5 Liter club memer #169-Red Jeep Club meber #491
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremy93yj To coax out the poop, try rocking back and forth. If that doesn't work, try rocking side to side. Hold your cheeks apart with your hands while you push and scream at the top of your lungs. I also like to put my feet up on the wall and push against the toilet. Another way is to sit on the pot, reach down and grip the bowl with both hands, and push against the floor with your feet.
TellicoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
Redlightracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im running bfg 31/10.50/15's everything on the jeep is stock no lift and i have no rubbing problems.
Redlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #36
Redlightracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More pics here,
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...ation-1254165/
Redlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
It should be OK for what he wants to do, if you read the OP.
Because Jeep plans always stay the same right? 2.5's are a dog and should never have came in a Wrangler to begin with. I hated both of mine, even on 31's and will always suggest to find a 4.0 because of my distaste for the 2.5L.

Quote:
Mine just went 14 days in between fill-ups and that *includes* highway driving.
I haven't filled my 4.0 up in a month, that includes highway driving (notice you don't know the milage driven)?

Quote:
So really I don't see why 2.5's are bad, unless you have some need for horsepower.
4.0L are far from an end all be all motor, but at least they are much more than tolerable. My 2.5L on on 4.56 gears and 33's would barely go over 60 MPH and 5th gear was a wash. You really think the OP is going to stick with 31's? Most likely not, and even if he does he will be happier with the drivability of tha 4.0L.

Quote:
I don't have that need. Back in the day when I wanted horsepower, I build Chevy 454's. and I got 8 MPG's.
Are you really comparing a 4.0 to a 454? 4.0L and 2.5's get similar gas milage stock and once modified with tires and proper gears the 4.0 wins every time. My YJ has 4.56 gears and 35's right now, I can accelerate in 5th gear going 80 (plus I get about 17 MPG mixed driving). My 2.5 with the same set up could barely hold 60 in 4th and the MPG's were under 10). Did I mention the fact it is not a complete dog to drive around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #38
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's the same friggin' thing over and over again. Stay with the facts. Its so easyfor things to devolve into stupid bs. The merits and facts so you can help people make their decision. I have a 2.5L and it is loaded with trail toys. I paid $500 for my toy and its not a rocket ship by any means it will run a trail with anything else. If you are off roading its not about speed. On the road as a DD around the city it's great too. Like it has been stated, with the winch,bumbers and all the other extra goodies I am getting up to 60Mph with the wind at my back and its not going to ever get much better. It is what it is. I love my 4 angry squirrels and for the price.....well who here is going to tell me that wasn't a great deal. Don't shy away from buying the 2.5L. Just understand what you are buying if you do.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #39
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
It's the same friggin' thing over and over again. Stay with the facts. Its so easyfor things to devolve into stupid bs. The merits and facts so you can help people make their decision. I have a 2.5L and it is loaded with trail toys. I paid $500 for my toy and its not a rocket ship by any means it will run a trail with anything else.
Truth of the matter is this, you CAN run a 2.5 on the trail but in MY experiences even with 33's, I needed to be geared into the 5.XX ratio somewhere to make it work properly, which you can not do on stock axles. If most people gear for 35's and a 4.0L at 4.88, how is the 2.5 going to compair?

Quote:
If you are off roading its not about speed.
I have had my 2.5L in situations offroad even when geared where I had to ride the clutch to keep the tires spinning in 4LO 1st gear so I wouldn't stall, never have that problem with the 4.0. If you are crawling a trail and don't have the power to turn the tires in certain situations what does speed have to do with the equasion?

Quote:
On the road as a DD around the city it's great too. Like it has been stated, with the winch,bumbers and all the other extra goodies I am getting up to 60Mph with the wind at my back and its not going to ever get much better. It is what it is. I love my 4 angry squirrels and for the price.....
That sounds like a blast to drive. On road, 4.0L wins. Off road 4.0L wins, especially when building a rig IMO. For those of you that have not had the same issues with the lack of power in 4LO, I guess we don't have the same view on wheeling and driving. It's funny, I never have to say "it is what it is" with my 4.0's.

Quote:
well who here is going to tell me that wasn't a great deal. Don't shy away from buying the 2.5L. Just understand what you are buying if you do.
One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just don't make your treasure another man's junk because you can tolerate it.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #40
No-Doors
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieben1 View Post
hi fellas, im thinking of picking up a 95 wrangler s. its bone stock. im wanting to use it for the weekend very mild trail. i wanna put a small lift and install some black wheels i have with bfg 31/10.50/15's. i live in vegas so its all sand and some small rocky trails. nothing wild at all. ive been reading posts about the 4 cylinder. are they really that bad or are members here going on viscious trails where alot of power is needed. is the 4 cylinder pretty capable for a newbie? what 4 cylinder jeeps do other members have? whats the lift , the biggest tire size you can use, and maybe some photos of your jeep, and of the places you wheel with your 4 banger. i know people will get on here and say to get a bigger motor, but this is whats available at a very good price. id like to know what people are doing with their little motors and how much trouble you can get into on the trail and still make it out. any help is useful, so thank you in advance
OK, back to the OP's questions.

I have 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" BL and 1" shackle lift. Run 31X10.5 tires on 15X8 black steel rims. Mine is used as my DD when weather permits. I prefer no-doors (hence the handle) and topless or a bikini top at most (same way I like women). Does great on the trail, but then again don't do anything extreme. Some muddin and some crawlin on steep trails with bad wash-outs.

About tire size; general opinion is that anything 33 or bigger you can forget 5th gear unless you re-gear axles. If ya wanna see pics just check my profile and photo albums. Most pics are other jeepers on our rides; any pics of black YJ, thats mine. Bought mine as a toy to have fun and thats what I do.

Bottom line; its your money, buy what you want. When you get one; rig it out the way you want. My opinion, its best to buy one stock and make the mods you want; that way it is done right. Only mod on mine when i purchased was the BL. Only opinion that matters is your own.

"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong" (Paul :-)
No-Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #41
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy
Because Jeep plans always stay the same right?
That's signature material right there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy
2.5's are a dog and should never have came in a Wrangler to begin with.
QFT

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

A 4.0 is about the same price as a comparable 2.5. Spend the extra few bucks and get the 4.0. If after you have driven the 4.0 several months and decide you really want the 4 popper, there are plenty of folks that will trade you and give you some boot.

The power numbers don't even begin to tell the difference between these 2 powerplants. You can loaf the 4.0 at 2200 rpms in the same place you will need to be turning the 2.5 up to 3800+ rpms for the same needed power.
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #43
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Because Jeep plans always stay the same right? 2.5's are a dog and should never have came in a Wrangler to begin with. I hated both of mine, even on 31's and will always suggest to find a 4.0 because of my distaste for the 2.5L.
"hated" so much that he bought two!

bennieben1, I think you'll find that it is a no-brainer that a larger capacity motor will usually have more power, but I don't think I would let that be the sole issue when buying a Jeep. You're obviously concerned with power and I don't think that a forum like this is going to get you anywhere other than contentious comments from each particular side of the issue.
You should try to find a couple that you can drive, yourself, to get a first-hand feel for what you might need/want.
I've had both and am currently driving a 4 cylinder and actually find it quite "fun" to drive. I have no real issues, but then again, I'm not speed demon on the street, and do fine on the trails.
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpete View Post
"hated" so much that he bought two!
Young and dumb, and I didn't know any better. I had never drove a 4.0L Wrangler then (currently I own 3). First one I was 18, which I trashed. Second one I was 19 and I wasn't going to lift it (I still own it, although it has a 4.0L now). The nice things about these forums is you can learn from other peoples mistakes. I didn't do that back then. Hopefully people can learn from mine, I have made alot of them while owning Jeeps.

Quote:
bennieben1, I think you'll find that it is a no-brainer that a larger capacity motor will usually have more power, but I don't think I would let that be the sole issue when buying a Jeep. You're obviously concerned with power and I don't think that a forum like this is going to get you anywhere other than contentious comments from each particular side of the issue.
You should try to find a couple that you can drive, yourself, to get a first-hand feel for what you might need/want.
I've had both and am currently driving a 4 cylinder and actually find it quite "fun" to drive. I have no real issues, but then again, I'm not speed demon on the street, and do fine on the trails.
How many threads do you see that say "Thinking about swapping my 4.0 for a 2.5".

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post

I haven't filled my 4.0 up in a month, that includes highway driving (notice you don't know the milage driven)?

4.0L are far from an end all be all motor, but at least they are much more than tolerable. My 2.5L on on 4.56 gears and 33's would barely go over 60 MPH and 5th gear was a wash. You really think the OP is going to stick with 31's? Most likely not, and even if he does he will be happier with the drivability of tha 4.0L.

Are you really comparing a 4.0 to a 454? 4.0L and 2.5's get similar gas milage stock and once modified with tires and proper gears the 4.0 wins every time. My YJ has 4.56 gears and 35's right now, I can accelerate in 5th gear going 80 (plus I get about 17 MPG mixed driving). My 2.5 with the same set up could barely hold 60 in 4th and the MPG's were under 10). Did I mention the fact it is not a complete dog to drive around?
So far, its 286 miles since the last fillup. I didn't buy the jeep for the power, and it doesn't matter what engine they put in em. I actually *can* hold 60 MPH in 5th. The only time I down shift is for long hills.

So I gotta wonder what the heck happened to you that yer so down on the 2.5?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.