4 wheel indicater light help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 wheel indicater light help

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Putz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4 wheel indicater light help

hello all,
I pull my shift leaver into 4 high and the light comes on. The light stays on for the most part but as soon as I give it a good goose to climb a hill the light goes out. Now I have 3 questions. 1 Is my jeep in 4 wheel drive at all in the beginning? 2 Why is the light going out? 3 Is it coming out of 4 wheel drive when the light goes out when I goose it to climb a hill? I'm wandering if it isn't a vac. problem or if it has something to do with the after market air cleaner that was on it when I bought it(maybe something with it pulling not enough vac because of it)Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think they went to electronical switches for that year for the 4wd light. Might want to check the connections on the vacuum shift actuator on the front axle, passenger side.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you hit the gas, the vacuum pressure decreases, which could cause the vacuum actuator at the axle to disconnect, turning off your 4wd and the light. Like Xpress said, I'd start by checking the connection to the actuator on the axle. Keep us updated.
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinvader View Post
When you hit the gas, the vacuum pressure decreases, which could cause the vacuum actuator at the axle to disconnect, turning off your 4wd and the light. Like Xpress said, I'd start by checking the connection to the actuator on the axle. Keep us updated.
The checkvalve (the first one on the red line) prevents that when it is working right.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. It doesn't come out of 4wd, it moves just enough to come off of the switch.
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

You might want to read through this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...stion-1316145/

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Putz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys I'll look at it tomorrow.
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.