4 wheel driver stick shift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2004, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
hguffman

4 wheel driver stick shift

Ok I know something isn't lubricated but I am not sure what.

I have a few things going on. First, my four wheel isn't working, and I installed the posi lock so I now that my front wheels should be locking in. but I just noticed that my stick shift (for the 4wd) get real hot while driving down the road (4wd is not engaged). and I have an incling that it might be related?

also, in first gear sometimes I get serious shakes off the line. It usually happens after I have been driving around a little bit and the jeep is hot. But other times, like after driving down the highway a little bit it won't... anyone else had these symptoms?

Brian

89 Wrangler 4.2L w/ Posi-Lok, Weber Carb, Electric Cooling Fan

THE RED SOX WIN THE PENNANT!!! THE RED SOX WIN THE PENNANT!!!!

THE RED SOX WIN IT ALL!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS BABY!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2004, 09:20 AM
JayJEEPguy

2004 WJ 

Serious vibrations on take-off after it's hot?

Yeah, I feel your pain...My Jeep likes to act up sometimes, too.

My hydraulic clutch line was leaking. After I changed it and bled the clutch, it has been much better, although occassionally I still get some vibes in First. I think my clutch may be on its way out.

Have you checked the clutch fluid lately?

Have you checked ANY of the tranny/t-case fluids lately? By the description of a hot 4wd lever, I'd say you could possibly be well on your way to burning up your t-case

Jason T.
'99 GMC Suburban: Gas-guzzling people mover with 18" Z71 wheels
'04 WJ:Special Edition. V8, QTII, 2"BB, Bilsteins & 245/75/16" Goodyears
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
hguffman

I figured as much, about the t-case... tranny fluid is fine but t-case leaks alot and needs attention all the time.

I just had a entirely new clutch put in. the vibrations drive me crazy because it only happens sometimes... but always when after its its been running. I fear though by the time I diagnose it something is going to fall off. =)

Brian

post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 AM
JayJEEPguy

2004 WJ 

That's lousy, man.

I dunno what to tell ya about the "shakes".

Mine def. became worse the more I used the clutch....

Jason T.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2004, 06:09 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

sure you're just not lugging the engine by letting the clutch out a little too fast? I don't mean to say that you don't know how to drive it, but I know i do that sometimes. my clutch is brand new and it did it to me the other day. i know it's just that I didn't give it enough gas before popping it. as for the hot t-case lever, defintiely sounds like you've got low/no fluid splashing around in there. did it do this before and after you put in the posi-lok?

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
hguffman

Yeah, there is a chance it could me lugging the engine, because I have been paying more attention to letting the clutch out lately and it has got better. So that could all just be me.

As for the t-case, I am pretty sure, not positive, but pretty sure it wasn't heating up the lever before I put the posi-lok in... but does that make sense, it could be that I just didn't notice it before, but that baby gets pretty warm... enough for me to feel the radiant heat on my leg when I wear shorts. The first time I noticed it I thought the heat was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
sure you're just not lugging the engine by letting the clutch out a little too fast? I don't mean to say that you don't know how to drive it, but I know i do that sometimes. my clutch is brand new and it did it to me the other day. i know it's just that I didn't give it enough gas before popping it. as for the hot t-case lever, defintiely sounds like you've got low/no fluid splashing around in there. did it do this before and after you put in the posi-lok?

Brian

post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 06:03 AM
JKNIPE2000

i get the vibes on takeoff sometimes too, but mine is because my front left brake hangs up and its harder to take off. might want to check your brakes/brake fluid.

Gone but not Forgotten:
1990 Islander O.D. Green

Currently no Jeep, but I'm in the market
post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 07:07 AM
JayJEEPguy

2004 WJ 

Well, I went 'wheelin last night, and I can most definitely tell that my vibes are CLUTCH related. If I don't slip the heck out of the clutch now when taking off, the entire Jeep shudders like mad.

Wonder if a weak slave cyl. would cause this?

Jason T.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 AM
coolhand

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My guess about the vibes would be that your old worn out springs are alowing axle wrap and causing your U-Joints to bind up.
As for the hot shifter I would make sure the posi-loc is fully disengaged and the T-case is full of ATF.
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguffman
Ok I know something isn't lubricated but I am not sure what.

I have a few things going on. First, my four wheel isn't working, and I installed the posi lock so I now that my front wheels should be locking in. but I just noticed that my stick shift (for the 4wd) get real hot while driving down the road (4wd is not engaged). and I have an incling that it might be related?

also, in first gear sometimes I get serious shakes off the line. It usually happens after I have been driving around a little bit and the jeep is hot. But other times, like after driving down the highway a little bit it won't... anyone else had these symptoms?

"The Empty Pocket Warriors." Member #2
"92 YJ, 3.5" BDS. Custom 1.5" lift shackles, 2" BL, Ford 8.8 W/Trac-loc & 33" TrXus MT's (for now).
"No one ever accused the Wrangler of being comfortable, quiet, or practical. No one ever called it boring, either. The Wrangler is a two-door toy, ... great fun to drive with the top down." -- AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, March 1995.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.