4 wheel drive not engauging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 wheel drive not engauging

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
gotrock88
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4 wheel drive not engauging

So today while out on a run, my 4 wheel drive decided to stop working. When I got home to figure it out I checked first thing to see if I had any vacuum at the axel and there was none. After going over the vacuum lines thru out the jeep, I found that it is all jacked up and there is almost none anywhere. Then I noticed that fuel was starting to leak out of the vacuum canister. Could the two be related? So I am stumped on what to do next, any suggestions?

Thanx

gotrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The vac system is junk, in my opinion, I went to a cable style posi lock, so far so good.
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same. I had to replace the thing that sticks down into the t-case when 4wd is engaged from the vacuum. Ill try to get the name of it.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
gotrock88
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlee View Post
The vac system is junk, in my opinion, I went to a cable style posi lock, so far so good.
That is my plan down the road, but for now I just need to get the thing working.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
gotrock88
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Mine did the same. I had to replace the thing that sticks down into the t-case when 4wd is engaged from the vacuum. Ill try to get the name of it.
Did you have to remove the tcase to fix the problem?
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrock88

Did you have to remove the tcase to fix the problem?
Nope

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your vacuum can underneath your battery tray. I had a vac line that used to disconnect under there all the time.

After doing my 4.0 swap, my t-case vacuum switch died--it wouldn't vent properly anymore. I think it was a $40 part from quadratec. Anyway, check your vac lines first before replacing anything. If both the lines are plugged into the vac can, trace back and look for disconnected lines. I used to have vac lines come disconnected at the back of the head by the firewall.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The vacuum lines are 20 years old. More than likely that's the problem. If you want it to be dependable, then replace them all.

Search, there are many threads.

You should test the vacuum motor on the axle to see if it works. Get some vacuum line, jack up the front right tire, start it up in neutral (safely), and run vacuum directly to each of the ports and spin the tire to see if it locks (look to see if the front driveshaft is spinning).

Don't know about the fuel leaking, that sounds bad.

dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.