4 WHEEL DRIVE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 WHEEL DRIVE

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-12-2001, 12:45 PM   #1
gatt

4 WHEEL DRIVE

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A '94 WRANGLER AND THE OWNERS MANUAL DID NOT COME WITH IT. I WAS WONDERING HOW TO PUT THE JEEP IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE.

gatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
GREGDOG95YJ

there should be a shift lever in the floor by were your right leg goes to the gas pedal the knob is marked 2H, 4H, 4L. for everyday driving on the pavement leave in the 2h position for offroad driving use the 4H and 4L position. you can order an owners manual form www.thinkjeep.com for about 10 bucks.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 04:50 PM   #3
gatt

thank you for the response, but i was wondering if i have to be rolling or stopped, the clutch in or out, things like that.
gatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 06:29 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To go from 2hi to 4hi, they say you can be moving up to like 55 mph. Just push in the clutch and shift. But really, I'd never do that at such high speed. It's about impossible to shift the tcase if you're at a complete stop though. When going into 4lo, be rolling, but just barely.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2001, 07:54 AM   #5
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

You don't need to push in the clutch to engage 4 hi. All you need to do is ease up on the gas pedal and shift firmly and gently into gear. I've shifted on the fly in all gears from a 5 mph to 65 mph pulling a loaded trailer in 6 inches of snow. The t-case is designed to be shifted on the fly into 4 hi. To shift into 4 low, you must be stopped, as you have to move the shifter through neutral to engage it. If you have automatic locking hubs, just shift and go. If you have manual hubs, they can be locked in, and you can be driving in 2 wheel drive, and shift on the fly when you want to.

by Osburn
Quote:
It's about impossible to shift the tcase if you're at a complete stop though. When going into 4lo, be rolling, but just barely.
Is this the way the atlas tcase works? On any np case I've always been able to shift into 4hi or 4 low at a dead stop. In fact, to get into 4 low I thought it was recommended to be at a full stop.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2001, 10:03 AM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know the manual says you can shift at that speed, and I've heard of others doing it. But, knowing that's a chain driven lightweight aluminum housing, yowsa, I could never stomach doing it.

I think you're right about going into low though. Now that I think about it, I really don't remember ever having any trouble getting into low on the 231. But on the Atlas, yeah, you need to be rolling a little to shift into low.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.