4" Rough Country lift install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

4" Rough Country lift install

Hey all! I should be getting my 4" RC lift kit tomorrow and am going to start installing it tomorrow but have a few questions I could not find the answers to and would appreciate some help. I'm pretty mechanical but have never done anything like this before.

I read in one post that RC is supplying bolts with the kits now because people were having trouble with the sleves fitting the stock bolts. Does anyone know if these are all the spring eye bolts ( 8 ) they are supplying? I've PB'd everything, but am planning on cutting the stock bolts unless they come out really easy to save time.

What kind of grease should I lube the new bushings with and what part of the bushing needs to be lubed before I install everything? ANything else need greased?

Should I use some locktite on all the nuts?

When I get finished, will I need to get an alignment done or will that just depend on how it drives after everything goes together?

Thanks a lot for any answers you might be able to provide!

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

When I got the new kit it didn't come with new hardware, but that may have changed since then. I'd confirm that with Rough Country on the forum here.

I used white lithium grease to lube everything..

Locktite wouldn't be a bad idea on some of the bolts, especially the shackle bolts. I would recommend torquing them to around 50ft/lbs.

You shouldn't need an alignment, but it wouldn't hurt to at least get it checked. See how it drives and you should be able to make that call.

Edit: Here's my write up on the kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #3 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Tuck, your writeup is already printed out and sitting on the front seat of the Jeep for a reference!

post #4 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
usmcestep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes white lithium grease for everything.

Be ready to grind a lot of bolts as well unless PB does its job.

Also if it doesn't come with the hardware (mine didn't), be ready to make a couple trips to Lowe's for the bolts and stuff.

Also check your brake lines and stuff when you are doing the lift because when I put my front lift on the brake lines busted and that sucked.

Also, I wouldn't even mess with the swaybar and stuff, I just disconnected mine and it is still off and everything works well.

Other than that just be prepared to get really mad at some things....

05 TJ RME 4.0
3" Zone 2" BL
35x12.50 procomp xterrains
Rear smittybilt bumper with swingout tire carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coshooter View Post
Thanks Tuck, your writeup is already printed out and sitting on the front seat of the Jeep for a reference!
Cool, I'm glad its getting put to use. Happy wrenching

Quote:
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #6 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Most people hit a wall when it comes down to removing the spring hanger bolts. Mine came off with a couple good hits from my BFH.

This is a good time to decide if you want to get rid of the trackbars. If so you can skip a couple steps. Also a good time to upgrade to a good set of greasable boomerang shackles. If not I would at least change the bushings on the frame.

95 Black YJ
post #7 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcestep View Post
Yes white lithium grease for everything.

Also, I wouldn't even mess with the swaybar and stuff, I just disconnected mine and it is still off and everything works well.

What's the reasoning behind not reconnecting the swaybar and stuff (is "stuff" the trackbar?)?
post #8 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What's the reasoning behind not reconnecting the swaybar and stuff (is "stuff" the trackbar?)?
A better ride and more flex... Without the swaybar you may notice a little more body roll, but its easy to get used to. It's definitely worth it IMO

Quote:
post #9 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Okay, so is it both the swaybar (only one is in the front right?) and trackbars (front and rear) that you guys are talking about, or just the swaybar?

-Matt
post #10 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
durangoyj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
This has been debated here and it's up to personal preference. I disconnected mine and haven't noticed anything too major. I know it improves flex greatly. On thing to look for is a different feel in the steering, I noticed when I was coming up to a moderatly sharp turn and going about 40 MPH, I had to turn the wheel harder before I got a response. It caused me to pucker up a little the first time it happened but now that I expect it, it's not a big deal.

[]|||||||[]

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
post #11 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I read in one post that RC is supplying bolts with the kits now because people were having trouble with the sleves fitting the stock bolts. Does anyone know if these are all the spring eye bolts ( 8 ) they are supplying? I've PB'd everything, but am planning on cutting the stock bolts unless they come out really easy to save time.
Nevermind on the RC hardware question, just heard from Ryan @ RC and he said that the spring to shackle bolts are the ones they include but wasn't sure about the spring to frame bolts. Ryan has been great to deal with at RC! Now I'll just have to buy the four 4 1/2" x 9/16 grade 8 bolts since I'll probably cut them all out.

-Matt
post #12 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Project89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine didnt come with spring/shackle bolts, took lots of kroil, a torch, a BFH and even an air hammer to get some of them out. Bought a pitman arm pulled at auto zone for $20 (worth every penny too). I used anti seize on everything going back together. The torque's are called out in the instructions, do your final torques with weight on wheels and be sure to retorque everything after you drive it for a while. When I lower the transfer case the frame nuts were rusted out. I drilled up though the frame and put long 1/2" bolts with a nut and washer on top of the frame rail. one more thing be sure to have a good #55 torx.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
coshooter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate the input. One more question:

In the interest of saving time I want to go ahead and start pulling hardware off the Jeep now before I actually do the install ( I won't be driving it uther than to pull it into the garage to work on it). Is it okay to remove the following items now: Shocks, track bars (permanently), steering damper (new one comming), and sway bar links?

Thanks,
Matt
post #14 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
durangoyj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate the input. One more question:

In the interest of saving time I want to go ahead and start pulling hardware off the Jeep now before I actually do the install ( I won't be driving it uther than to pull it into the garage to work on it). Is it okay to remove the following items now: Shocks, track bars (permanently), steering damper (new one comming), and sway bar links?

Thanks,
Matt
Yes to all. Out of that list, shocks are the only thing you really need to drive it on the road. You don't even have to have them if you want to limp down to the mechanics or something but I wouldn't drive it around regularly without shocks.

[]|||||||[]

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
post #15 of 31 Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that shouldn't be a problem. some would even say you could drive without any of those things. haha.

95 Black YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.