4" RC Lift Installed...Now the problems start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" RC Lift Installed...Now the problems start

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4" RC Lift Installed...Now the problems start

94 yj 4cyl s model with newly installed 4" RC lift w/ 1" transfer case drop and brakline relocations BUT I didn't install the new pitman arm yet

Also, no alignment done to it yet. Could that solve these issues?

So here are the 3 issues...

driveline vibrations at 30-40 miles per hour
2" more play in the steering wheel
jeep pulls to the left or right when I engage or disengage gears

So here are my thoughts...
Driveline vibes are from not putting the new pitman arm on...I read on a forum that not installing the new pitman arm may be the better choice so the best option is to drive it without the new one as a test first

There is much more play in the steering wheel now and I don't really have a clue what I touched that could make it do that. Maybe the track bar relocation brackets?

And the third, when it pulls to the left and right when I engage and disengage gears, I think that is due to a dislodged large rubber grommet that houses a 1/2" steel bar that I think keeps the transfer case from moving. I think this got moved during the transfer case drop procedure but I didn't realize it was there before I did that.

Any help at all would be great. Even just pointing me in the right direction.

I'm going on a trail ride tomorrow and it would be great to have it in peak operating condition

This is my first Jeep and I love it. I've
always wanted my own Jeep but one day I
just decided I was going to go out and buy
one to tinker with. And that was it!

pierre8524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll post pics in a little bit, but I almost forgot that the part that the thing rides insanely rough. Almost tossed a few passengers out of their seat in just two days!
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also, it looks like a new section of driveshaft is exposed. About 5/8" in the back and 1/2" in the front. Is this something to be concerned about? Or do I have plenty left that it will be fine?
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

need pictures of your driveshaft where it comes out of transfer case and where it connects to rear differential. Then we can tell you if your vibration is due to bad angle. The exposed driveshaft is not a problem that's normal.

The steering play is because you haven't put the new drop pitman arm yet, it will never be as good as it was stock.

You don't need track bars or sway bars throw them in the corner or out with trash.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Steering play and pulling are likely due to the pitman arm. You lifted the jeep 4 inches, changed all the angles, and in the process, shortened the drag link. The jeep is now higher up but the length of the drag link remains unchanged. The drop pitman arm basically decreases the angle on the drag link, returning it closer to stock steering geometry. Right now with the stock pitman arm, i bet when your steering wheel is in the "centered" position, the tires are actually turned.

As far as driveline vibes, you say you installed a t-case drop so I'm assuming stock driveshaft. My best guess is that your t-case angle doesnt match your pinion angle. They should be like this...
http://www.4xshaft.com/images/2joint_angle.gif

Couple little things and your jeep should be right as rain!

Also, as bogleparsons stated, ditch the tracbars. Youve got a leaf sprung vehicle. No need for the trac bars; it just causes binding. With those stiff RC springs, swaybars are definitely not necessary. Should you want to keep them, get some disconnects for offroad use
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On the RC springs. The rear springs have a small wedge already installed on them. Make sure these were installed on the rear and not the front and that the wider parto of the wedge faces the front of the jeep. This helps a little with the drive line angles.

And the drop pitman arm is a must. Also check your tie rod ends to make sure they are all good. When I did my lift I found all four of my tie rod ends needed to be replaced.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Let's see the pictures.

Definately check if the wedges are on the front or rear (should be rear). But you may be able to remove the wedges to get things more paralell, but that could be iffy without binding.

Stock shackles?
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Took me a lot of fine tuning to get the vibration out. I unbolted and repositioned everything a few times. I still have some vibration but only when letting off at freeway speeds and it has decreased a bunch over time. So once you get it close or not vibrating it will probably start to get better. Also my ride improved dramatically after probably a 1000 miles. At first I was mad it rode worse than my really old 2.5 lift I replaced with the 4. But now it rides better than it ever has.
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For some reason my phone didn't want to load pics to Google Drive so I haven't loaded them yet. Working on that.

I have stock shackles.

And the drive shaft angle pic definitely doesn't look like what I have in mine right now. Rear differential is pointed up
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre8524 View Post
Also, it looks like a new section of driveshaft is exposed. About 5/8" in the back and 1/2" in the front. Is this something to be concerned about? Or do I have plenty left that it will be fine?
i had that problem when i got rid of the po's rc install and put in bds springs, it was giving me some vibes,called tom woods and got a longer one made, and the vibes went away. all you have to do is wait a few months and your rc springs will sag enough to tuck the drive shaft back into the tcase.but the ride will still suck.
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe your vibes are from your rear dif angle. From the sound of it, you need to shim under the rear axle perches so that your tcase angle matches your pinion angle. For a stock driveshaft, this is very important. If you ever go to a sye, then the rear pinion can be pointed upward more than with the stock driveshaft.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your trackbars and drag link are main two issues. Unbolt the track bars and go for a test drive. It'll improve. Install drop pitman arm and center your steering correctly. May take a few adjustments with test drives to get it just right. Check your shackles bolts torque settings. Driveshaft could be an issue as well depending on the angle and how far out of Tcase.
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had vibrations with my lift right up until I put in a SYE kit and a Woody drive shaft. The difference is night and day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.