4 link question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 link question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Unclejimbo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

4 link question

Alright have set of Dana 60's from a mid to late 80's ford, basically my winter project. Was going to keep it leaf sprung, and have all the out boarding stuff figured out just haven't gone about buying everything I need. Just came across an amazing deal for all mounts, coil buckets trusses and such basically for free(trading stuff) I've only read a little on linking but my questions are: will a coil bucket even fit on the driver side of a mid 80's Dana 60? How difficult is it to actually set up the links, I have help and all but just curious. If I were to do this, buy up a set of coils, Dom tubing and joints is that all I would need? Its still gonna see a bit of road so would it be a good idea? And when it comes to coils would 3" lift coils be to big or find a set of stock ones?

Unclejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully Ripper will chime in, he 4 linked the rear of his YJ. I have been debating doing the same thing. A lot of it depends on what end goal you are looking at, and how you go about it. Double triangulation, single etc...

He did mention that it took him "a couple hundred hours" to set up his links correctly. There is a lot of geometry to figure out. You will want to do a lot of reading and playing with a link calculator. Most of it is still over my head.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Unclejimbo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well as it seems deals keep coming my way so what started as something small ended up going a lot further then expected but hey what the hell. I know he has everything for a double triangulation setup and I'm actually pretty damn good in the math department so that doesn't worry me. I just don't know if I should just go ahead and coil over the front due to space or will a coil bucket work, never driven in a linked setup either so dunno what it would be like on the road if any different from a tj or jk. But I'm also not worried about just leaving it leaf springs either. But sturdier is always better.
Unclejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jump over to pirate4x4.com and start reading on the hardcore section and the builds there. It's a little harder to fit a coil bucket on an 80's dana 60 due to the driver side length off of the pumpkin. Most run coilovers to save on space but a coil bucket can work if you cut some of the metal out of the spring perch of the dana 60.

I've rode in stretched rigs with leaf springs and I've rode in stretched rigs with links and each have their own pros/cons. You'll have to weigh that out for yourself to decide.

I'd personally go the link setup.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.