4" lift---Rustys???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" lift---Rustys????

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4" lift---Rustys????

was considering ordering a 4 inch RC lift. I have heard both good and bad. Frankly I dont do a bunch of serious stuff. Trail riding in florida on 4 wheel paths, going through water, some light mudding, etc but I dont Wheel it hardcore or rock climb. I might be wrong but it sounds like those who dont like it do a little more serious (correct me if I am wrong).

I also just stumbled across a kit from Rustys offroad products. 4" lift for yj includes same stuff as RC (as far as I can see) and its about the same price. Havnt heard much about his lifts.

Anyone on here have one? are they any good? comparative to RC?

proFISHent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proFISHent
was considering ordering a 4 inch RC lift. I have heard both good and bad. Frankly I dont do a bunch of serious stuff. Trail riding in florida on 4 wheel paths, going through water, some light mudding, etc but I dont Wheel it hardcore or rock climb. I might be wrong but it sounds like those who dont like it do a little more serious (correct me if I am wrong).

I also just stumbled across a kit from Rustys offroad products. 4" lift for yj includes same stuff as RC (as far as I can see) and its about the same price. Havnt heard much about his lifts.

Honestly just by EMUs or BDS springs don't waste your time
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post

Not everyone had the money to blow on that crap.

OP, i would press on the rc. I don't know anything about rustys but if it's similar in price it's worth reserving.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

OP, i would press on the rc. I don't know anything about rustys but if it's similar in price it's worth reserving.
Break down the price when you source the pieces separately. Its not too far off when you compare it to rough country.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391

What canman said, I did mine piece by piece man, I'm broke, I didn't buy a kit, **** dude I wasn't running read shocks for a whole year before I raised up enough money to buy rear shocks. I was at least fortunate enough to receive shocks from a member on here for free , honestly had I not gotten those shocks I would have been running shock less for a long while. There's things not to skimp on, that's engine, safety and reliability, and I leave this thread on that note.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those rear shocks were supposed to be temporary.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Those rear shocks were supposed to be temporary.
You mean the fronts? Yeah but when I looked at em, I don't bottom out on em, so I'm using them until I can get some good ones,
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have experience with rustys product, but have thought about their springs at one time. Roughly two years ago I was broke college student, did not read reviews/advice from anyone so bought rough country 4" kit. Installation was smooth plus everything looked great. Well I found out that the ride was stiff as a board. Thats ok I thought its leaf sprung and short wheelbase. Well 5 months later the right side sagged 1.5" so I got rough country to warranty it. Soon shortly the left start to sag. The front springs sagged so my yj sat like a hot rod. I was disgusted. I shopped around at fabtech, bds, rubicon express for suitable replacements. I then saw zone offroad just came out with yj 4" springs that were not too much higher than rc. I bought the springs individually, ubolts, bushings, and installed them myself. The springs gave my yj 2" higher lift than my rc springs, smoother ride, and its been about 6 months with no signs of fatigue. I only bought front springs since the rc fronts were crap and with zone springs, ubolts, bushings it was about 298 buck shipped to door. Thats worth it to me. Like others said and Im basically repeating what they said, bds, old man emu, rubicon express are great yj spring companies I've seen on here, but don't over look zone offroad. Their the lowest price out of all them, but are great quality as well.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what he said, rough country not good, bds next time for me!
Scorch1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so price wise if I buy individual parts parts instead of a kit I can get BDS or EMU springs for the same price?

Then I just part out the rest of the kit? Where would you recommend getting the parts separately at for the best deal? do you trust stuff coming from ebay or do you look on jeep websites like jeepaddons etc etc. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from jeep add ons and the service is second to none
proFISHent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Talk to Chris and see what kind of deal he can get you on the bds springs.
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proFISHent View Post

You may want to do some research on Rustys offroad.
I know quite a few of the XJ guys are not happy with them.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
jeeptec

I've had good luck on my xj using rustys. But that said I know a few people who have used rustys and thrown there stuff out .one thing I am seeing in quite a few forums I've been reading that quite a few people by the R.C lifts . Most of them in the end switching them out. I'm getting ready to do a lift on my yj.I have so far done a Zone body lift was impressed with the quality. They will be in my list of lifts to choose from.
jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
X2 !

I had a Rustys lift on my 95 YJ for one week, It rode ok. But on my first wheeling trip with it the Main leaf snapped on my Right front spring and I had a . I called rustys and got the run around for months even after speaking to rusty directly in person at a Jeep show showing pics of the spring. It still took another 2 months to get a replacement. Bytime I got the replacement spring I was running a RE 4.5" Lift I will never give rustys any money even if it wasn't mine.

One my 89 I am going with OME springs
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have been very pleased with my 4" lift from Zone offroad. They are a sister company to BDS, no they are not rebadged BDS springs, but the quality is similar. For the price, they were almost impossible to beat, and they are miles better than my previous Pro Comp springs.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.