Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4" lift...driveshaft angle too severe?

2K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Slapahoe 
#1 ·
hey, the PO put a 4" RC lift on my 1990 YJ. I never really thought of it until now, he never changed drive shafts or anything. How much could it cost to get a good-*****in driveshaft and all the other parts i need. Could this really mess up my drivetrain over time if i don't change it?

#2 ·
p.s, i am at school right now so no camera, i will try to take pics either tonight or tomorrow.

#5 ·
zach, i've got a 3.5" lift, no driveline vibrations. I put in my tcase drop for peace of mine. but it's straight

if you want to do sye/cv driveshaft, PM DC4WD he can give you a good price. or you could get the sye and do a xj front driveshaft (it's cv).

but in terms of necessity....i'd wait until you lift it some more, or upgrade your axle or something like that.

:cheers2:

#6 ·
i have a tcase drop kit i'll sell ya ... didnt use it when i bought my bds kit :thumbsup:

but ya...tcase drop first choice if money's a concern. If not, SYE and cv driveshaft are cool upgrades :laugh:

#7 ·
I ran my YJ with 4" suspension lift, and 1.5" add-a-leaf and still kept the stock driveshaft and transfer case alone. After about a year, the driveshaft disconnected from the axle, whipped around and took out my transfer case, which in turned jostled the transmission which screwed up the clutch. All in all... about $2000 in damage with parts and labor and that's at a bit of a bargain. I would definitely get an SYE/CV or at least a TC drop before something snaps

#8 ·
hey what is the name of that company that makes really good driveshafts. Couldn't remember it, its like the name of a guy, rusty or willy or something like that. Sorry to be so vague, anyone know what i am talking about?

#9 ·
mean90yj said:
hey what is the name of that company that makes really good driveshafts. Couldn't remember it, its like the name of a guy, rusty or willy or something like that. Sorry to be so vague, anyone know what i am talking about?
you mean "tom woods"

#10 ·
tom woods most likely is who you are looking for i believe they sell AA SYE kits with tom woods shafts for like 500 ish. I went the PORC route and got a XJ front driveshaft and had it cut down. It was about 250$ish. When I go SOA i might upgrade shafts.

#11 ·
crb577 said:
I went the PORC route and got a XJ front driveshaft and had it cut down. It was about 250$ish.
$250 for a cut down XJ shaft?

Sounds like you got the "shaft" allright.

I have Tom Woods driveshaft, and it cost me $250.

I was in Utah at the time so there was no shipping charges, but damn.

Doug

#13 ·
Tom Woods if perfect if you are planning on doing a SYE. Otherwise is your transfer case lowered? If it is, there shouldn't be an issue with the drive line angle. Does it vibrate when driving?

#15 ·
hey so i looked at the tom woods website, can someone help me with the type of SYE kit i should get, don't worry about which one is more expensive, just which one would best suit me http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html there is the link to the SYE kit overviews. Thanks for all your input, keep it coming...P.S, i try to respond as quickly as posisble, but i am in college and calculus is kickin my *****, so again, i apologize.

#16 ·
Ok, let's take this from the top for a second.

Do you have driveline vibrations? If you do, do you notice them on acceleration, deceleration, idle, coasting?

I say this because....if you don't have driveline vibs, why spend the money? Maybe I'm being fickle...but don't fix it if it aint broken!

#17 ·
i do notice it, when i go on the gas it vibrates, not just cuz of the stiff ride. Going down a freshly paved road, not going balls out, i can feel the vibrations from what i am thinking is the drive shaft. I don't know if this is related, but everytime i either let off the gas, and slowly get back on, i hear a clunk but i never disengaged the gear from the trans. not sure what that is. I also talked to my dads buddy who came over, mentioned it to him, said that you would want to do one of those two things before it becomes a serious problem. Heard a horror story about the drive shaft snapping, swinging around, knocked the trans. and trans. case out of alignment and costed about 2K to get it fixed.

#19 ·
ooo sexy...hey would i have to buy a driveshaft with it or would one come with it? can i get some money back for my stock one and would it be worth it to replace the front drive shaft?

#21 ·
what should i be looking for on them?

#24 ·
doug_1994 said:
$250 for a cut down XJ shaft?

Sounds like you got the "shaft" allright.

I have Tom Woods driveshaft, and it cost me $250.

I was in Utah at the time so there was no shipping charges, but damn.

Doug
that's for the SYE and XJ shaft the XJ shaft was like 60$ cut and everything. Never would I pay 250 for a XJ shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.