4" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" lift

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4" lift

My '87 yj is in need of a new lift. The springs are sagging on the old one quite bad. I know this topic is very opinionated but my question is this. I have read the reviews on the Rough Country 4" lifts and most of the reviews where not very favorable for the kit. I have also read many of the builds and noticed several folks have used that lift. I wonder how the springs have held up after a year or so? Is that lift kit really that bad? So if anyone has an opinion to share positive or negative about the lift I am interested in hearing about it.
Thanks in advance for the input.
Sam

Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your yj is a dd occasional offoader yes RC is a good lift. But my lift is over 6 months old and for some reason RC cant get over that obstacle to stop premature spring sag. my right side sags1/2" lower than left but most passengers sit on right side anyway so thats probably why. But if i were you yes while pricey get some bds 3.5 springs and piece lift together like ubolts shocks. Yjs dont need swaybar or tracbars so you can ditch those. My next spring will be bds. Now just to get some $ back in jeep funds.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on piecing together a lift or just buying springs. RC makes their lifts appealing because a full lift kit is wrapped in an appealing price tag but if you don't need all that, why buy it? Spring for better quality on the parts you do need and save the headache of installing unnecessary parts.
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like I will just get new (military wrap) springs and u-bolts and other incidentals. Thanks for the responses.
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
smoan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just pieced together a lift with BDS springs and put it on and couldn't be happier. It has great flex and drives fine with all the track bars and sway bar off. if u go with bds order from their website and have them shipped to your nearest dealer so you dont have to pay shipping
smoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you get the heavy duty upgrade bds springs cause you have a hardtop 6 cyl and im sure your going to have bumpers and all that goodies on yj in a while. Bds military wrap springs require aftermarket shackles from what i read up to properly install springs too cause the stock shackles are not enough to clear the military wrap. Correct me if im wrong yjers ha.
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoan View Post
I just pieced together a lift with BDS springs and put it on and couldn't be happier. It has great flex and drives fine with all the track bars and sway bar off. if u go with bds order from their website and have them shipped to your nearest dealer so you dont have to pay shipping
What he said^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.