4 inch Superlift YJ springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 inch Superlift YJ springs

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

4 inch Superlift YJ springs

I have found a deal on front and rear Superlift 4 inch YJ springs. What else will I have to change besides the shocks and maybe u-bolts to use them on my stock 91 YJ? Would I need to drop the transfer case and maybe use a longer pitman arm?

1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You will need the tc drop and a drop pitman or a tie rod flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I put 4" springs on the first time, I put a t-case drop, shims for the rear axle, and no drop pitman arm......steering was fine.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brake lines, drop pitman arm, t case drop or sye, bump stops

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Superlift shows that the lift is 3.5 inches instead of 4 inches. Will axle angle shims work with the 3.5 inch lift and will I still need the dropped pitman arm or would a tie-rod flip work?
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry408 View Post
Superlift shows that the lift is 3.5 inches instead of 4 inches. Will axle angle shims work with the 3.5 inch lift and will I still need the dropped pitman arm or would a tie-rod flip work?
It is a 3.5" lift, but you will see at least 4" out of it in reality. The springs on my rig did not settle much at all after install. Make sure you get the heavier rate springs for the front if you ever plan on adding HD bumpers and a winch. There is no extra charge for the heavier rate springs and the flex is still excellent.

Are you asking if the axle shims will work in lieu of a tc drop? Typically the kits come with and people will use a combination of the two. But you may get away with a steeper shim and no TC drop. Especially if you go with a MML.

The steering will "work" without doing anything technically, but you will not get it adjusted correctly without doing a a tie rod flip or a drop pitman. Either way is fine. They are about the same money, but the tie rod flip is more work. You do gain a few inches of valuable clearance for the tie rod though. Thats your call, a drop pitman is in fact quick and easy.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to add a T-Case drop. Don't buy a T-Case drop "kit", make your own. I used 1"X1" square tube steel, drilled 1/2" holes and added the appropriate length bolts for under $20.

If your trac-bars are still on, take them off and leave them off when you put the springs on. Get quick disconnects for your sway bar links while your at it.

I would go with a drop pitman arm.

Now that you can flex you will want to put extended brake lines on...

You probably will want to put new spring eye bushings and shackle bushings on as well.

Maybe new U-bolts depending on the condition and age of your current ones.

I don't know why more people don't go with SuperLift for an inexpensive lift. Mine has been on for 2 years and has not sagged and it rides and flexes great.

Let us know how it goes and how you like the springs.

SIDE NOTE: I just replaced my steering box. Getting the pitman arm off was a PITA until I came here and read some posts. The puller will not do all the work. I used some PB Blaster the day before (my second try), a little heat (not too much to damage the seals in your steering box), a pitman arm puller and a BIG hammer. I heated the pitman arm, put on the puller and tightened it up and beat the side of the pitman arm hard. Then I tightened the puller some more and beat the side of the pitman arm again and it came off. The day before I tried to use just the puller (no heat and no hammer) and I broke three 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapters for my breaker bar/pipe extension. Also, the pitman arm nut is a 33mm or 1&5/16" socket.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
projectsahara11
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is recommended to change out your ubolts, nuts and all the hardware when you change springs. IMO it is smart to change everything out while you have it all torn apart. Transfer case drops will work but invest the money for a sye kit. In the long run you won't sacrifice ground clearance and your driveshaft won't fall out (like mine did when my suspension drooped too far).
projectsahara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I already have some brake line extensions and longer quick dis-connect sway bar connectors. I would be making my own transfer drop. Just wondering if angle shims would work as I do not want to have to buy a SYE and CV driveshaft.
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry408 View Post
I already have some brake line extensions and longer quick dis-connect sway bar connectors. I would be making my own transfer drop. Just wondering if angle shims would work as I do not want to have to buy a SYE and CV driveshaft.
Some axle shims and a tc drop will definitely get rid of the vibes.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.